Momo Ochita From Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Lydia Burdenbearer
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Seeing how we were handed a lot of content, where we had to be constantly on the move (instance speedruns, dodging Ifrit's cracks, "dance around" the target in order to pull off combos etc.), the animation lock started to get more and more in the way of our performance. When the unresponsive gameplay and sloppy controls start to get into the way of player's performance, the funfactor takes a deep, deep dive.

Not to mention, considering the future of PvP content, anilock in every skill is simply beyond comprehension. Considering a cat-and-mice-situation between two players, simply either one using a SINGLE skill - heck, ANY SKILL - would have most likely resulted to either getting mauled, or retreating succesfully.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Dragonheart Lux
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rau View Post
    Doesn't that undermine the challenge of the fight?

As far as I understand that fight was plagued by tremendous amounts of lag, but as far as timing your attacks to properly avoid cracks, I think that mechanic was working as intended.

both of them are methods to prevent spamming skills in short periods of time. we are getting one in place of the other.
    k bye.

(Bad designed game, now undermine challenge... lol)
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Beatbox
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    both of them are methods to prevent spamming skills in short periods of time. we are getting one in place of the other.
    Yet you were able to activate skills while locked in an animation. Animation locking was just a flaw in game design which they couldn't easily fix...which is why we won't have it in the new version.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Austen Bloodspatter
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    you know what's good way to prevent spamming too? TP. if you could spam skills, you'd run out of TP within a few seconds, then you couldn't spam anymore. problem solved.
    GCD is probably just there so PS3 users who need to navigate skill bars, can stand a chance in PvP for example, or don't fall behind to much in DPS department in raids etc.
    Animation lock doesn't prevent skill spamming at all.
    (0)

Player

I am curious to hear why it is seen as inferior to global cool downs, in terms of immersion/battle/etc.
    It has nothing to do with "immersion". Animation Lock could give more reality in a static game, where people don't have to move aroung a mob, or through the batteflield. But as FFXIV 1.0 was and FFXIV: ARR will be, it's not good, because in many fights you can't stand in the same spot for all its duration. With this new concept of fight the Animation Lock looks amiss, something close to FFXI style.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cedri Vastal
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Animation lock shut down a lot of people from doing what they needed to do. This effect was able to nullify a person's usefulness due to game mechanics in certain cases. In the end, it was just the way the engine worked and we had to deal with it. Now that we don't I think most of the player base will be relieved that you can direct your character where you want at all times.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kupli Koop
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    I like the animation lock more than being able to run around while using abilities+ a global cooldown as we've seen it in 2.0.

You can see it as bad programming, because it stops you from running from cracks on iffy for example - you can also see it as a combat mechanic. And it is/was possible to do ifrit anyways, plus without the huge latency differences for US/EU players the impact wouldnt have been that big.

Of course I complained about it as well then I died to eruptions, but that doesn't mean i would want it removed - I liked the animation lock and I wish it was still there in 2.0...
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Kare Ruhts
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 57
    A system where you're bound during animations of skills can work if it's implemented correctly.

FFXIV 1.0 was very bad example because you had to wait till your weapon skill animation completed before being able to move your character. In Ifrit fight this caused a good player to watch the log for Ifrit's combat skills, only after you know what Ifrit's combat skill was then you know if you need to run or can attack. This is not my idea of a fun combat system.

Tera bounds you during animation of skills, however you don't see anyone complaining about it. The reason why Tera's bound animation works is each class has abilities to be able to breakout of the animation such as skills to dodge, jump back, and block.

ARR is heading in direction where you can move and attack, this is similar to GW2 combat system. Without animation lock doesn't mean you need a GCD. There has to be a cool down to prevent you from spamming of attacks, especially in a game that will have PvP. Each skill can have different cooldowns such as what is done in GW2 as well as similar skills having their cool downs linked.
    (3)
    Last edited by Pseudopsia; 01-13-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Player
    Character
    Quichy Sturmbruch
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 59
    topic.

I prefer Animation Lock for aesthetics in most cases, but I recall it being a problem for many in general.

I am curious to hear why it is seen as inferior to global cool downs, in terms of immersion/battle/etc.
    the combat feels very unfluent, not really active and it does not make fun.

why should i be bound for 2-3 secs on the ground after successfully casting a cure spell? how awful is that?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudopsia View Post
    Animation lock can work if it's implemented correctly.

FFXIV 1.0 was very bad example because you had to wait till your weapon skill animation completed before being able to move your character.
    well and thats the definition of animation lock.. congrats..

animation lock -> bound on the ground till animation is finished

Quote Originally Posted by Gentaro View Post
    You can see it as bad programming, because it stops you from running from cracks on iffy for example - you can also see it as a combat mechanic. And it is/was possible to do ifrit anyways, plus without the huge latency differences for US/EU players the impact wouldnt have been that big.

Of course I complained about it as well then I died to eruptions, but that doesn't mean i would want it removed - I liked the animation lock and I wish it was still there in 2.0...
    "game mechanic"... sorry... if a so called "game mechanic" which it wasnt .. is so annoying from preventing to play the game without any delays .. this isnt a game mechanic.. ask thousands of players who left the game.

the gameplay till the end of 1.0. was just horrible. you fought the gameplay and not the boss itself very often.. and THATS NOT A GOOD THING. you just should listen to yourself what you are talking..
    (3)
    Last edited by Tonkra; 01-13-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast