Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90

Did Sword Art Online help Final Fantasy XIV?

I was chatting with a Japanese colleague earlier about the fact that the FFXIV Nico Nico stream had a degree of success that I didn't expect, with more than 60k viewers that are quite a lot for a stream in Japanese that wasn't very much publicized internationally.

She told me "yeah, with Sword Art Online, everyone is crazy for MMORPGs again in Japan now".

Very possibly, she's right, Japan is very sensitive to this kind of influence, and I can definitely see how a popular anime/manga/novel series could have raised the "cool factor" of MMOs, especially one made locally like FFXIV.

It's interesting that there are already rather strong rumors of a second SAO anime series to be released in the summer season. That'd sure be convenient, even if the next arc of the story is set on a gun-based MMO.
    (10)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Player
    Character
    Cedri Vastal
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    As long as it gets rift support, then I can see SAO influencing FFXIV:ARR
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I'm inclined to believe this. There was mention of the NicoNico thing on the "other" forum, but that's as far as it went with international announcements.

60k is a huge number, considering you had to have a premium membership on NicoNico to even view the live stream (there were places that were re-streaming it lol). So yeah, I do think SAO's timing had a lot to do with the interest in online gaming in Japan, even if it's just a passing fad.
    (1)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Max Wind
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilhem View Post
    I'm inclined to believe this. There was mention of the NicoNico thing on the "other" forum, but that's as far as it went with international announcements.

60k is a huge number, considering you had to have a premium membership on NicoNico to even view the live stream (there were places that were re-streaming it lol). So yeah, I do think SAO's timing had a lot to do with the interest in online gaming in Japan, even if it's just a passing fad.
    you don't need premium membership to watch, you need it to not get kicked... and premium is like $5 a month
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Yeah well, I couldn't get in, cause it kept prompting me to get a premium membership. And I declined and went to a restream because aside from the XIV event, I don't use NicoNico D:
    (0)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Kare Ruhts
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 57
    I watched SAO, it was very good. I have no idea if SAO caused more people to watch the stream. I think us MMO players can relate to SAO very easy, however people not familiar with MMOs may not. SAO theme is not new, .hack//sign has the same theme probably not as popular since it is a lot older.

Maybe everyone wants to be a Beater(Beta Cheater) now
    (4)
    Last edited by Pseudopsia; 12-29-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Player
    Character
    Max Wind
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    I actually haven't used niconico in a while... so if you had a free account and could even temporarily watch it, then it is a new feature...

Also the dot.hack series is what got me into interested in MMO's... And dot.hack//sign isn't so old, I watched it when I was a kid and I'm only 19...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudopsia View Post
    I watched SAO, it was very good. I have no idea if SAO caused more people to watch the stream. I think us MMO players can relate to SAO very easy, however people not familiar with MMOs may not. SAO theme is not new, .hack//sign has the same theme probably not a popular since it is a lot older.

Maybe everyone wants to be a Beater(Beta Cheater) now
    The difference is that .hack was never popular as SAO is.
    (0)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Player
    Character
    Max Wind
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Abriael View Post
    Seriously? Look at all the light novels, movies, figures, games and anime based on dot.hack....
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kare Ruhts
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 57
    Quote Originally Posted by Abriael View Post
    Well the thread started off well... Not sure why you argue with minor differences of opinion.
    (9)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast