Player
    Character
    Kuro L'anzce
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefCurrahee View Post
    I'm a casual anime fan. Thanks for bringing my attention to SAO. I've been wanting to watch a good anime series after finishing up FMA and FMA brotherhood.

As to your question is SAO helping FFXIV cause by hyping MMO culture? No, I don't think SAO fandom will influence a massive influx of gamers to FFXIV. I think what you're seeing is people who like anime, get excited about SAO. But many of those people won;t be excited to play an MMO, unless it was based on SAO.

I love music. I just started to listen to a band called ††† (Crosses). I'm very excited for more from this group. I'm not however excited for a new deftones album (which shares the same singer). And this doesn't make me want to listen to Nin, or Depeshe Mode, which have similar sounds.

What you're experiencing is your interest in Anime:SAO and your shared interest in MMOs:FFXIV with other people who are similar minded.
    Think more or less, is not a "no" but very "less" people do so play MMO because of Anime's that they love. Influence does has an effect, but not majorly a lot.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zetsumei Tsunarashi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I'm a casual anime fan. Thanks for bringing my attention to SAO. I've been wanting to watch a good anime series after finishing up FMA and FMA brotherhood.

As to your question is SAO helping FFXIV cause by hyping MMO culture? No, I don't think SAO fandom will influence a massive influx of gamers to FFXIV. I think what you're seeing is people who like anime, get excited about SAO. But many of those people won;t be excited to play an MMO, unless it was based on SAO.

I love music. I just started to listen to a band called ††† (Crosses). I'm very excited for more from this group. I'm not however excited for a new deftones album (which shares the same singer). And this doesn't make me want to listen to Nin, or Depeshe Mode, which have similar sounds.

What you're experiencing is your interest in Anime:SAO and your shared interest in MMOs:FFXIV with other people who are similar minded.
    I dunno, watching .hack//sign 10 years ago is what made me decide to buy FFXI. At that point I had never played an MMO but the anime intrigued me enough to want to pay a subscription fee for a game, which at that point I had never done before. To this day, I play MMOs more than any other genre of game.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Chief Currahee
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Right, SAO will attract a small amount people to the MMO genre. No doubt about it, but largely influence a majority of SAO fans to buy and play FFXIV:arr? No.

Now if they made a SAO MMO game, yes that anime would have a HUGE influence on fans buying and playing a SAO MMO.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
    Then it seems all the subtleness of the entire series was lost on you. Shame really, because the real attraction to SAO is its storyline. A very distinct reoccuring feature about japanese anime are the subtle content that is always inherent within... and for SAO there is a lot going on that shows several facets of the characters. Viewers are able to identify with several aspects of the series, which is what really makes it popular... not just the art and animation style.
    This is what I normally watch anime for. I was disappointed in SAO, however, because these exact features were really shallow. I still enjoyed it; even reading the light novels simultaneously didn't especially hinder that. But, it was still disappointing for me.

On topic, I think SAO might help the hype for MMOs if ARR can catch the wave, but I doubt any particular features of the series will have a clear connection into future MMos for quite some time. Even then, the multi-(consistent) party raid style and AGDs (auto-generated dungeons), special acquired skills with a limited total number across a given server, and breaking up the overall world in favor of distinct levels/zones are probably the only features that will be carried across.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Adri Takamorita
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedri View Post
    As long as it gets rift support, then I can see SAO influencing FFXIV:ARR
    This would be amazing.... I can't wait for the commercial release... Hawken and Doom 3 looked like it felt amazing....and I don't even like fps/shooter type games....
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Right, SAO will attract a small amount people to the MMO genre. No doubt about it, but largely influence a majority of SAO fans to buy and play FFXIV:arr? No.

Now if they made a SAO MMO game, yes that anime would have a HUGE influence on fans buying and playing a SAO MMO.
    To bad that said SAO MMO would suck so much it pretty much be a cheap F2P game i don't see them making it good enough to players to enjoy. I playing dot hacked and my friend playing ffxi made me get it but i see your point in that if there was a SAO people would get it.
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11