Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Should SE Use Kickstarter to Fund Expansion Packs & Other Content?

Greetings!

In case anyone doesn't know what Kickstarter is: Click

That being said, would you support the development team via Kickstarter for expansion pack and other content development if it meant they could use more resources to release said content faster? Or actually implement the content because Kickstarter made the cost viable.

We all know that once a game launches, the team used to keep the game running is much smaller than the one during development.

In many of Yoshi-P's letters he has stated that they would have to look at "cost of implementation" for certain content, or that said cost for certain things was too great.

I believe that the community could be given a few options of content that's cost has been deemed "too costly to implement" to vote on. Then the content can be given a Kickstarter campaign. This would eliminate the "cost to implement" barrier, or at least help to make it viable to implement.

What do you guys think?

Miz (Posting from iPhone on another account.)
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kare Ruhts
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 57
    SE doesn't need kickstarter for funding. It would be a little weird if they used kickstarter considering their net income.

Net income (¥6,060 million) (April 1, 2011 - March 31, 2012):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix

With that being said they most likely have budgets for projects, so I would think the cost issue would be Yoshi-P getting approval for more funding.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    we are already paying a subscription. kicktarters should be reserved for independent companies who don't have financial support that large companies do.
    (39)

Player
    Character
    Fragile Stampede
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    no, they should start one for a ffxi-2. use same engine as ffxiv but new story from ffxi and ffxiv ...but basically all content and game will be based around ffxi. large scale 64man events, gear swapping, grinding to level slowly. everything ffxi had but made way way better since it's a new game. and way way more of it. make me level a class and take a year to max again. yes yes yes. i will pay you SE, i will donate and pay for this. thanks.
    (11)

Quote Originally Posted by Rau View Post
    we are already paying a subscription. kicktarters should be reserved for independent companies who don't have financial support that large companies do.
    Ironically, commercial companies use kickstarter to see interest as well as basically "give us money if you want us to make it..then you still buy it."

As for this..hell no. Let us see if ARR even survives it's first year before thinking about Expansions first off lol.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Publishers using kickstarter is very, very frowned upon.
    (5)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Player
    Character
    Exocryst Lebreska
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Put FFXIV: A Realm Reborn on the Ouya first, then we'll talk >_>
    (I'm betting right away ARR won't work on the Ouya)
    (0)
    <--Giver of yarns, not the giver of darns :3
    Follow me on Twitter @Antanias_

Player
    Character
    Fragile Stampede
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    they should have done this from the start though and it would of kinda made sense though. like call of duty now they sell you right at start an option for all map packs. in a way to launch the game with an expansions worth of content i'd pay for it ahead of time no problem.

lets be real ffxi had so much to do only cause it started with an expansion. start all mmo's with an expansion too. and let us prepay/donate from kickstarter like options..sure. but with that it means we are paying like 120bucks? or so for a box set for the game right away. so we better know exactly what kind of mmo it will be and what is in store for us inside it prior to purchase. just like kickstarter does. it explains everything and you chose to donate. i would happily pay 120 for a game i know will keep me busy for over a year. heck yeah.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Game companies shouldn't use kickstarter if they are charging money for it. Look how much hate Peter Molyneux got when he funded his new game Godus on Kickstarter yet he still going to sell it for more profit when its done.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Antanias View Post
    Put FFXIV: A Realm Reborn on the Ouya first, then we'll talk >_>
    (I'm betting right away ARR won't work on the Ouya)
    Why would they put the game on an extremely underpowered console made to run cellphone games?
    (7)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast