Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Player

Should SE Use Kickstarter to Fund Expansion Packs & Other Content?

Greetings!

In case anyone doesn't know what Kickstarter is: Click

That being said, would you support the development team via Kickstarter for expansion pack and other content development if it meant they could use more resources to release said content faster? Or actually implement the content because Kickstarter made the cost viable.

We all know that once a game launches, the team used to keep the game running is much smaller than the one during development.

In many of Yoshi-P's letters he has stated that they would have to look at "cost of implementation" for certain content, or that said cost for certain things was too great.

I believe that the community could be given a few options of content that's cost has been deemed "too costly to implement" to vote on. Then the content can be given a Kickstarter campaign. This would eliminate the "cost to implement" barrier, or at least help to make it viable to implement.

What do you guys think?

Miz (Posting from iPhone on another account.)
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kare Ruhts
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 57
    SE doesn't need kickstarter for funding. It would be a little weird if they used kickstarter considering their net income.

Net income (¥6,060 million) (April 1, 2011 - March 31, 2012):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix

With that being said they most likely have budgets for projects, so I would think the cost issue would be Yoshi-P getting approval for more funding.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    we are already paying a subscription. kicktarters should be reserved for independent companies who don't have financial support that large companies do.
    (39)

Quote Originally Posted by Rau View Post
    we are already paying a subscription. kicktarters should be reserved for independent companies who don't have financial support that large companies do.
    Ironically, commercial companies use kickstarter to see interest as well as basically "give us money if you want us to make it..then you still buy it."

As for this..hell no. Let us see if ARR even survives it's first year before thinking about Expansions first off lol.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Ironically, commercial companies use kickstarter to see interest as well as basically "give us money if you want us to make it..then you still buy it."

As for this..hell no. Let us see if ARR even survives it's first year before thinking about Expansions first off lol.
    it wont make it a year without an expansion.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fragile Stampede
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    no, they should start one for a ffxi-2. use same engine as ffxiv but new story from ffxi and ffxiv ...but basically all content and game will be based around ffxi. large scale 64man events, gear swapping, grinding to level slowly. everything ffxi had but made way way better since it's a new game. and way way more of it. make me level a class and take a year to max again. yes yes yes. i will pay you SE, i will donate and pay for this. thanks.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by strallaalaa View Post
    no, they should start one for a ffxi-2. use same engine as ffxiv but new story from ffxi and ffxiv ...but basically all content and game will be based around ffxi. large scale 64man events, gear swapping, grinding to level slowly. everything ffxi had but made way way better since it's a new game. and way way more of it. make me level a class and take a year to max again. yes yes yes. i will pay you SE, i will donate and pay for this. thanks.
    I hope you joking FFXI is dead i played it for 6years it time for that game to RIP that why we have FFXIV is there new MMO. It's the same way if Blizzard new mmo is 10x better then wow then wow would be no longer.
    (2)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Fragile Stampede
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    I hope you joking FFXI is dead i played it for 6years it time for that game to RIP that why we have FFXIV is there new MMO. It's the same way if Blizzard new mmo is 10x better then wow then wow would be no longer.
    wrong that is what the point of kickstarter is, old school games that wouldn't of been made otherwise are being made threw donations. people who want to see things that wouldn't be created, be created. instead of getting money from busness people they are getting the money from us and they then can make games we want to see rather games only made for the biggest amount of money.

ffxi is dead but they can still make games like it if they saw there was a profit to be made, and kick starter is an easy way of testing the waters and seeing how many people truly want to have another mmo like that.

So that's 73.986 backers and a sum total of $3,986,929, almost 4 times their original goal of $1.1M. that is for a game that obsidian company put on kickstarter. it's not a mmo but it still is being made because of this. don't get me wrong i don't think SE would do this but that is because they are always behind in everything. companies big or small that take advantage of kickstarter could possible create a gold mine of a mmo and have way less risk trying. cause most main stream ones aren't doing that great anyway.

besides all that why make the ffxiv engine and only create one game with it, go ahead and try and make another with it. isn't the hard parts building it at first? then it gets easier no?
    (2)
    Last edited by strallaalaa; 12-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by strallaalaa View Post
    wrong that is what the point of kickstarter is, old school games that wouldn't of been made otherwise are being made threw donations. people who want to see things that wouldn't be created, be created. instead of getting money from busness people they are getting the money from us and they then can make games we want to see rather games only made for the biggest amount of money.

ffxi is dead but they can still make games like it if they saw there was a profit to be made, and kick starter is an easy way of testing the waters and seeing how many people truly want to have another mmo like that.

So that's 73.986 backers and a sum total of $3,986,929, almost 4 times their original goal of $1.1M. that is for a game that obsidian company put on kickstarter. it's not a mmo but it still is being made because of this. don't get me wrong i don't think SE would do this but that is because they are always behind in everything. companies big or small that take advantage of kickstarter could possible create a gold mine of a mmo and have way less risk trying. cause most main stream ones aren't doing that great anyway.

besides all that why make the ffxiv engine and only create one game with it, go ahead and try and make another with it. isn't the hard parts building it at first? then it gets easier no?
    I understand where you going and there still a lot of ffxi players but the point of them wasting so much money and time with ffxiv is because ffxi runs its course. Even if you made it a new game with the ffxiv engine and new look it pretty much be FFXI with better looks. To make it worth there time they need to blow up FFXI and remake everything and send it at least 20+years from FFXI time line with new leaders and new storyline.

What the point of all that work if FFXIV is the replacement for FFXI and don't say because FFXIV is like a wow-clone. Becuase to make FFXI worth all that trouble they have to rebuild battle system,level system,job system which would end up being FFXIV 2.0 anyways see my point? it would just become FFXIV at the end lol.

FFXIV have the same race from FFXI have about the same background story for them same feel too it so you can pretty much say FFXIV is FFXI 2.0. If you rebuild ffxi from the ground up and rebuild everything it would just end up like a ffxiv clone what the point having two of the same game. I think it's a waste of time even if they get all the money for it the cost to run the game just for players to go what the point having two of the same games set in two different type of world with same race seem pretty dumb.

that just my take on it sorry if that your dream of a ffxi 2.0 lol ffxiv is pretty much just that.
    (3)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Rosalynne Hawethorne
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's dead. Unlike FFXIV, FFXI servers are still up. As a matter of fact the 5th expansion comes out on Mar 26th.
    (3)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast