Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    According to Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart, EA tried to use them in order to start a kickstarter project. When it surfaced it didn't go down well.
    (0)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Abriael View Post
    According to Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart, EA tried to use them in order to start a kickstarter project. When it surfaced it didn't go down well.
    I lost all respect for EA years ago. They are as soulless as companies get.

I put them on my /blist and never looked back. (pretty easy as I don't care for FPS clones or recycled sports games)
    (2)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 12-29-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    I lost all respect for EA years ago. They are as soulless as companies get.

I put them on my /blist and never looked back. (pretty easy as I don't care for FPS clones or recycled sports games)
    Judging games on their publisher is never a good idea.
    (3)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Trying to kickstart expansion packs for an MMO would fail spectacularly.

That said, kickstarter isn't just for indie developers. It's also for projects that have a hard time getting backing from non-gamer investors and share holders. Projects that typically deal with mature content, or for retro-style games, or basically anything that isn't going to be mass-profit-shovelware-quality garbage like Call of Duty. Take a look at how well Project Eternity did, and that's a kickstarter by a top-notch AAA development firm.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Trying to kickstart expansion packs for an MMO would fail spectacularly.

That said, kickstarter isn't just for indie developers. It's also for projects that have a hard time getting backing from non-gamer investors and share holders. Projects that typically deal with mature content, or for retro-style games, or basically anything that isn't going to be mass-profit-shovelware-quality garbage like Call of Duty. Take a look at how well Project Eternity did, and that's a kickstarter by a top-notch AAA development firm.
    There's a large difference between developers using kickstarter and publishers trying to use kickstarter. Project Eternity was submitted independently by Obsidian, and Obsidian is a developer. Square Enix is a publisher.
    (0)

EA is rarely respected kickstarter or no kickstarter.

There's a large difference between developers using kickstarter and publishers trying to use kickstarter. Project Eternity was submitted independently by Obsidian, and Obsidian is a developer. Square Enix is a publisher.
    Last I checked SE is a developer and publisher..unless I'm thinking of the wrong Square & Enix?
    (1)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    SE is both a developer and a publisher.

That said, it would fail spectacularly for many reasons, including the fact that people know SE has no problems coming up with their own money to fund their own projects, and because it wouldn't really be a unique or interesting project.
    (1)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Honestly if I saw a FFXI or FFXIV kickstarter, my first thought would be "s**tty blatant cash grab by SE".
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Last I checked SE is a developer and publisher..unless I'm thinking of the wrong Square & Enix?
    It does not matter. Square Enix is first and foremost a publisher, that also has its own development studios.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Quichy Sturmbruch
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 59
    Square Enix is developer AND a BIG publisher you spend money in releasing games like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman etc.

Kickstarter is a site for development teams WITHOUT a publisher. Publisher do invest the money into development teams in order to develope a game. thats what kickstarter is for.

and not for big publisher companies like SE ^^

and on the other hand we already are going to pay a monthly fee. i know games like AION and Lineage where you paid a monthly fee the expansions have been totally free and you didnt need to buy them.
    (4)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast