Player
    Character
    Scratchy Shadowtail
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 20

Counter to Elitism

Just a random wish. I hope ARR incorporates features which discourages elitism and promotes casual players participating in more dungeons, other higher end activities.

For Example:

Perhaps a higher drop rate bonus when having a first time dungeon player in your group.

Bonus XP for entire party when grouping with a player with high rested time.

I'm sure theres many other ways, but basically giving incentive to group with casual players.

Thanks for reading
    (12)

Character
    Kickle Cubicle
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90

Here we go again...
    (72)

Player
    Character
    Blake Ater
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 65
    Let me just say something: You can never counter elitism.

Elitism exists in any forms where there is a competition. Look at the nintendo game super smash bros. It's sopposed to be a 'fun' game to enjoy with your friends with silly items and characters. Yet there's an 'elitism' in it where there's meta-game rules of "no items" and "character bans" and what not for competitive tournaments (which offers you cash for winning... at least).

In an MMO: As long as there's that top tiered item and class variety there'll always be elitism. Whatever classes DPSes the highest with whatever gearset, the elitists will always consider that set the 'norm'.

The only- I repeat- THE ONLY way to counter elitism is to make everyone the same character, have only one skill, and have starting gear that's also the best gear.

There's your elitism counter, and quite frankly, that makes the game 'bland'.
    (30)

Character
    Kickle Cubicle
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayto View Post
    The only- I repeat- THE ONLY way to counter elitism is to make everyone the same character, have only one skill, and have starting gear that's also the best gear.

There's your elitism counter, and quite frankly, that makes the game 'bland'.
    e.g. Guild Wars 2. And beyond that, if that top tiered item is so easy to get that anyone is able to obtain it, it loses its value. Right now, you can log on to the game, and if you had previously logged off using the bed in your Inn room, you can check the bed and get a free relic weapon. Does that make you feel like you truly earned that reward?

Hear me now and believe me later. Deferred gratification is always more satisfying in the long run. Always. Try it.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Scratchy Shadowtail
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Eekiki View Post
    , you can check the bed and get a free relic weapon. Does that make you feel like you truly earned that reward?

Hear me now and believe me later. Deferred gratification is always more satisfying in the long run. Always. Try it.
    In my post I didn't mean to convey that everyone should be equalized. Just to give incentives to allow weaker players to simply just participate.

Casual player gets to join in.
    Hardcore player gets a bonus(xp, item boost, droprate+, etc) for inviting the casual.

Also a + for everyone , make new friends and have an incentive to do so!
    (4)
    Last edited by Scratchs; 12-20-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Player
    I think the improved drop rate on gear based more on effort than random number generator will get rid of most of elitism
    (1)

Character
    Kickle Cubicle
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    It's a nice thought. But there are variables beyond in-game rewards, like time. Many times, the casual player is casual because they don't have a large amount of spare time to invest in the game like a hardcore player does. The hardcore player is not going to be sated by breezing through a bunch of quick, simple activities thousands of times. They're going to look for stuff that takes hours, if not months, to prepare for and complete. And for those activities, they will want to team up with people who they can depend on to put in the same amount of time working towards those goals as they are.

The hardcore player doesn't want bonuses. They want a challenge.

The casual player wants a challenge, too. But hardcore players and casual players each have a different definition of what's challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I think the improved drop rate on gear based more on effort than random number generator will get rid of most of elitism
    In the end, it still all comes down to time, be it the time needed to develop enough skill to complete the challenge, or the amount of time needed for the random number generator to hit the magic number.
    (7)
    Last edited by Eekiki; 12-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Player
    Character
    Blake Ater
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 65
    Hardcore players will just exploit that and have a fake newbie acount to get bonuses and only invite their fake newbie friends within their LS/FC to get a streamline of bonuses...

Like I said, there's no way to merge casual play and elite play... your either really into it or not. Besides the learning curve in this game(As of 1.0 and some of the videos) isn't that steep. Just doing a bit of research on 3rd party sites will get you up to speed with most 'elitists' anyways. And you know, if they're just looking for bodies you can gladly hop along anyways and learn the ropes, or find a group that's doing practice runs to get better.
    (3)

Character
    Kickle Cubicle
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    I've gone back and forth between casual and hardcore as time has allowed over the past couple years, and I can say on both sides of the spectrum I never had a problem getting in on any activity I wanted to do. XIV, I think, has a pretty good balance between casual and hardcore.

The materia system helps a bit with this. The hardcore players can have their vanity satisfied by having their equipment blinged out with high-tier materia, but the casual player can get gear that gets the job done just fine, but can't be melded with materia.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kuro L'anzce
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    content finder will let casual players to join in... :|
    (0)

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast