Player
    Character
    Good Boy
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90

2.0 Movement inertia: Removed

[[Edit: This topic was posted on 08-16-2012 when the pre-alpha demo was being showcased. Just fyi]]

As many people have noted in the most recent gameplay footage, there seems to be a certain lack of animated inertia in character motion.
    For example, in the current 1.0 build, stopping suddenly after having ran a short distance would result in a more aesthetically pleasing (subjective) animation to be played out, though this didn't appear to be the case in the demo.

Of course this being a pre-alpha build, there is a chance of it having not been implemented yet, due to its low priority. However, if it has been removed, I'd like to understand the reasoning behind the decision.

Perhaps there's a chance it hindered movement responsiveness too much?
    (23)
    Last edited by Roukiz; 11-26-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    If it means I won't have to mash C to get my character to stop faster to cast spells, I am okay with it.
    (32)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Azran Hayat
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    They will probably add this to the "Physics" option we have in our config right now, turn it on for how it is now, turn it off for how it is in the latest
    (3)

Player

Might possibly caused by the grass.
    (40)

Player
    Character
    Athalia Hartfell
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 85
    Stupid grass is just ruining this game.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Shanvhere Kurosaki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zezlar View Post
    Stupid grass is just ruining this game.
    I know, something so beautiful in a game that looks beautiful IS JUST going to make people not play the game at all!
    (0)
    If pigs can really fly, I wouldn't care about anything else!!!

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Not saying this is 100% correct, but I'll take a stab at it.

I'm pretty sure it was removed because it was causing the server to figure out your position slower, as well as making movement feel... sluggish. Need to quickly move out of the way of Ifrit's Eruption? Hold on there... accelerating... moving... decelerating... BOOM! When fractions of a second count, sometimes you have to sacrifice some realism.
    (7)

Character
    Kerwin Nindon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    "It's a beta" I guess we should start this again.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Alec Temet
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Not saying this is 100% correct, but I'll take a stab at it.

I'm pretty sure it was removed because it was causing the server to figure out your position slower, as well as making movement feel... sluggish. Need to quickly move out of the way of Ifrit's Eruption? Hold on there... accelerating... moving... decelerating... BOOM! When fractions of a second count, sometimes you have to sacrifice some realism.
    You're close, but you kind of got it backwards. The "inertia" we see in the 1.x version of the game is a graphical trick to hide the lag between the server and the client. Basically, the time it takes you to slow to a stop on your screen is about the same amount of time it takes for the server to register that you have stopped moving (hence, if you stopped on a dime, the server would say that you were further ahead than your client displayed).

With the faster, more responsive server code, that little trick isn't necessary anymore. On the other hand, as someone pointed out in another thread, SE likes to add little flares like start and stop animations to their running animations. Since we don't see those in evidence yet, I suspect (or rather agree, since this has been mentioned before), that the animation tables are not yet complete, and we'll see windup and cooldown animations appear sometime between now and release.
    (20)

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    I hope that its still there in 2.0. I found it to be very aesthetically pleasing to see my character make natural looking starts, stops, and turns.
    (28)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast