Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    There seems to be a lot of hate for the style in which current MMOs play
    And yet people get bored very quickly.

Seems to stem from an irrational fear of change or unwilling to accept a game
    Care to explain why APB went offline and had to be bought out to get relaunched? Care to explain why people quit Rift in droves? Care to explain why Tera flopped in every most of its supported countries including it's home country? They're nothing like XI or XIV.

You seem to be the one that fears something regarding XI/XIV 1.0. I mean, new MMOs are failing and under performing because they're nothing like XI or XIV 1.0 right?

Seriously?
    (1)
    Last edited by Elexia; 12-23-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post

Care to explain why APB went offline and had to be bought out to get relaunched? Care to explain why people quit Rift in droves? Care to explain why Tera flopped in every most of its supported countries including it's home country? They're nothing like XI or XIV.

You seem to be the one that fears something regarding XI/XIV 1.0. I mean, new MMOs are failing and under performing because they're nothing like XI or XIV 1.0 right?

Seriously?
    Yeah because all those games had the interesting and immersing main storyline FFXIV had leading up to "End of an Era" trailer thanks to Yoshi-P. FFXIV 1.0 had terrible battle mechanics but FF fans are sticking around for the awesome history ,FFXIV ARR will bring balance to it ..now it wont be just an awesome History but also an awesome battle system with very interesting raids and when i say raids i mean everything ARR will posses within first months/year
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post

Seriously?
    Sure thing Tera is a Korean grinder more or less with a not so good story. A lot of people do not like Korean grinders in general.

Rift tried to copy WoW so much in that intially they got some WoW players to play it but then they thought if I am going to play a game that so similar to WoW I might as well go back and play WoW since their content is usually better and backed by a bigger budget. Rift may have around 200k subs now which really isn't anywhere near WoW numbers but most analysts believe WoW sub numbers are a fluke that will never happen again ever for a MMO. But they must be happy with those numbers because they are releasing an expansion for it.

FF14 1.0 outright failed due to many launch problems (bad laggy server structure, slow UI, battle system that wasn't working right, animation lock, no mail, or AH) SE was not happy with the 50k or so fans that stuck with it so they had to do something which is ARR. It was mostly fans of the game that stayed with it, but everyone else wouldn't even touch it.
    (3)
    Last edited by Zumi; 12-23-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kare Ruhts
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 57
    I played FFXIV 1.0 from beta till after the Jobs were implemented. Before that was WoW and FFXI. I got bored of FFXIV because I felt SE slowed the content and was forcing me to run it endlessly because of very bad drop rates so I decided to play other games.

I played Tera, D3(big mistake), GW2 and Borderlands 2 since then. I didn't realize how bad the FFXIV 1.0 combat system is till I played Tera and GW2.

NA version of Tera didn't feel that grindy. It only took me a few weeks to get max level so it's not much of a traditional Korean grinder MMO, this is probably why it didn't do so well in Korea. It's too quick to complete for the hardcore player. You're right it doesn't have a good story, and the quest are very very boring. The best thing about Tera is the combat system, I find it's even better then GW2 combat system. Feels like Bluehole Studio focused way too much on the combat system, and threw the rest of the game together like a bad version of WoW.

Out of all the combat systems I find FFXIV 1.0 the worst.

Things I don't like about FFXIV 1.0 Combat System:
    • Animation Lock. Unable to move your character during weapon skills. This became super annoying during fighting Ifrit where you would have to watch the combat log and time your weapon skill with the boss's weapon skill. Tera has animation lock, however it's a must for that combat system because you could dodge all mobs attacks by moving your character. Tera does have a panic dodge ability that works during animation lock.
    • Melee having to dance around the mob to do combos. This is an odd thing to implement. Melee combos become restricted during boss encounters that have front and back cone attacks.
    • Having to build TP before you could do any of your weapon skills.
    • Controls designed for a console/controller. I ended up buying a xbox 360 controller because I couldn't stand the keyboard and mouse controls.

From what I see from Alpha videos, SE is addressing most these issues I'm concern about with the combat system.

I played FFXIV 1.0 longer than these other games because there was a lot of things to do and the ingame community is better. I like that I can keep my character's identity rather then playing alts when I want to play other classes. There's no such thing as an altoholic in FFXI/FFXIV. I also like the stories from Final Fantasy games. I tolerated the combat system while my RL friends did not, they quit shortly after the game was released.

Lot of the people left here are the people who tolerated or like the FFXIV 1.0 combat system. Those who could not are already gone. So I'm not surprised there are a lot of people here upset with the changes.

In my opinion the Alpha shows a promising outlook for FFXIV 2.0.
    (2)
    Last edited by Pseudopsia; 12-26-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Yeah because all those games had the interesting and immersing main storyline FFXIV had leading up to "End of an Era" trailer thanks to Yoshi-P. FFXIV 1.0 had terrible battle mechanics but FF fans are sticking around for the awesome history, FFXIV ARR will bring balance to it ..now it wont be just an awesome History but also an awesome battle system with very interesting raids and when i say raids i mean everything ARR will posses within first months/year
    I don't know where you get this confidence from. And while the mere 20 levels of the alpha aren't a great example by any shot, I have trouble picturing someone who played it retaining this sense of assurence. Have you?

I don't see anything in Yoshi's notes that looks especially good on paper, let alone with a clear and solid implementation strategy. I sure as hell want it to work--no MMO comes close to how much I look forward to ARR doing well--but honestly I don't see the signs of this awesome battle system or necessarily interesting raids anywhere. Concepts, sure. But even a company as overly down-to-earth as Blizzard makes some very interesting concepts (before tearing them down in each implementation process).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkra View Post
    well i think the global cooldown is there to slow down the combat a bit.

because otherwise a melee class could spam a weapon skill just every second (and before the animation has finished).
    that would be just unbalanced. it would mean a melee damage dealer could do about 5 ws in 5 seconds (= instant mob kill) and damage out every mage very easily.

the ws right now in ARR do lots of damage and are totally instant. no global cooldown would mean, that there would be no small "pause" between those WS. and thats how to prevent it.

i would like the idea too double the tp costs, and maybe that you gain back some TP when you are using a combo.. i dont know.. but the system is not well thought. the TP bar now is nothing different but an other MP bar.
    Just a couple points real quick: I don't think anyone would ask for the complete removal of the GCD. Even 1.x had one; it was just shorter than almost all of our animations, and thereby wasn't really a factor for us. It's not a genre standard so much as a sanity of server design standard, and there's no reason for it not to be used really, except perhaps in the case of high-speed combos. That said, it doesn't take much to waive the GCD for certain abilities (GCD-share sets) when followed by certain other abilities in order to accomplish that.

I'd agree that TP is simply another MP, a bloated stamina bar, or energy/focus bar (WoW) and doesn't have a spec of uniqueness to it in that sense. I'd love to see something actually new, instead of a yet another *15*-seconds worth of abilities at *30*-seconds regrowth time bar.

It's not that there's anything wrong with a old or simple model. It's just a problem when it's dull. This... is pretty dull.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    ~snip~
    And yet here you are.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kai Zoku
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    at least the animation of mobs getting attacked wont look like their spasming come beta ._.
    (1)
    / (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Щ(ºДºщ);

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12