Player
    Character
    Majidah Sihaam
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50

Backpedaling is horrible.

In the latest Alpha trailer we can see back paddling at it's best (or worst).

http://youtu.be/_N4G854ANo0?t=3m16s

What is this backpedaling?

In 1.0 when you walked in the direction opposite to where you were facing your character would turn around.

It seems in 2.0, instead, the character remains looking at the same direction and was backwards at a lower speed. Think of it as having your target locked on a non existent object, all the time.

I really hope they introduce alternative motion settings, or something of the sort. Because slowly stepping back whenever you want to run away seem like awful movement controls.

Thread Progression:

Quote Originally Posted by Majidah View Post
    What we can say for a fact, however, is the following:
    -1.0 had a system that involved back pedaling without meddling with normal movement and no one ever complained.
    -Turning around happens more often than having to back pedal.
    -In moments of haste (running away from a special attack for example) you'll want to turn around, not back pedal.

Let me underline that.
    What do you do more often? Turn around.
    When there's no time to think, do you want to turn around or back pedal? Turn around.

Yet we are switching to a system that makes turning around more cumbersome than back pedaling. That makes no sense.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Or copy Blizzard's wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klefth View Post
    wat. Did you even play this game? When you were fighting, you were locked onto your target most of the time, which enabled you to backpedal. Want to run? Simply lock out and move in whichever direction you want. You want to keep facing your target? Well, stay locked onto it. It's like people aren't aware that backpedaling was already in the game. What's being argued in this thread is not whether it should exist or not, but that it should NOT be the default. I think it should be left as it used to be as well. There are situations when you want to run away from something, and I don't want that to take any other extra steps.

And to those who keep repeating you just have to turn your camera with your mouse, keep in mind that not everyone likes to play with a mouse (I, for one, hate it and think it's completely out of place in most 3D games except FPSs) and that this will also be a console game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelminar View Post
    Maji is referring to the fact that you WILL have to resort to turning via the mouse or pressing the "A"/"D" keys. When in FFXIV v1 is was as simple as pressing "S" to make your 180 degree turn. Quick and easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    Yeah I live my life with Resident Evil style tank controls in all situations amiright?

Though seriously while not as bad as resident evils "Turn to move" not being able to have free reign on your movement with just the keyboard is silly (It's arguable you can do workaround with the mouse) but to not give the option for keyboard users is as bad as saying they are releasing the game on PS3 without considering how a controler will work with the UI and movement in general (Free movement is much more suited to the controler as well.)

Having locked movement while locked onto a target is well and good (Hell XIV 1.0 and XI had it even) But it was always a snap to unlock your target and regain full control again even in combat if you deemed it. Options...for the people who screamed for them it's funny to see some of the same people fight against it when the tables turn and other people ask for them.
    (53)
    Last edited by Majidah; 12-09-2012 at 04:21 AM.

It has to be a standard MMORPG after all and having a lot of movement animations doesn't fit into that. Yoshi did say there's no final blending, but I doubt backpeddling will vanish.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Shiro Turuphant
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    *Looks at video*

Actually, I think we already confirmed that you can have it to where you turn the other way and run normally. Something to do with one of the mouse buttons, but I've seen it in one of the Live Letters.
    (8)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Back pedaling is useful for weeding out dirty keyboard turner plebs from the master mouse turning race.

(I kid I kid but I honestly don't care either way)
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Fated Erskine
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    I remember reading in some interview that it's designed to prevent kiting. Doesn't do a good job, though.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fang Striker
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Once you play it ... you won't even notice it anymore ... you know.. like jumping.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Arc Jurado
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    You're right, we totally shouldn't be paddling backs.

On a more serious note, you do know this existed in 1.0 right? If you were locked-on you would backpedal.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Fang Striker
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcell View Post

On a more serious note, you do know this existed in 1.0 right? If you were locked-on you would backpedal.
    Yup .. the only difference now is that it happens even when you are unlocked. There is a way to completely turn around in 2.0 without back pedaling .... urrr umm .. I mean, I've heard there is.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcell View Post

Think of it as having your target locked on a non existent object, all the time
    No, she didn't know it existed in 1.0. Also it's not something you don't just "fall into routine with like jumping" because if it's jarring enough, you never get used to it. That's why it's either lack of blending or it's just really that awkward in feel lol.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    What is this back paddling?
    I doubt back paddling is what you think it is.
    (6)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast