Player
    Character
    Kirol Blackgate
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60

On the Properties of Primals.

Ok, so, as we all know, Odin has been showcased as one of the Elder primals in 2.0, and has been slated as what Bahamut has succumbed to instead of destroying the world.
    However, as we also know, Primals are the Deities of beastmen races.
    The Ixali have Garuda, just as Ifrit is sanctified by the Amal'jaa.
    The Sahagin have Leviathan and Kobolds have Titan.
    Moogles have Good King Mog (technically), and Bahamut is the Dragon's Primal and Midgarsomr their King, yet that leaves us with a few beastmen races.
    Goblins and Qiquirns are most definitely beastmen, yet they don't seem to have a specific primal that they worship. At least not yet, anyway.
    That's not why I'm starting this thread anyway.
    What I want to bring your attention to is this;
    Sorrel Haven, in 1.0 was comprised of a pit surrounded by a circular monument and Jadite statues of what can only be considered as Tonberries.
    Come 2.0, I pick from no mean source that these Tonberries are gone.
    It could be that Jadite is a brittle material, which would shatter upon such an attack as megaflare. We don't know, however. After all, the larger statue made of Jadite within the shroud is intact, so we can only presume it is at least somewhat resilient to blows.
    As such, I think the disappearance of the Tonberries is more than circumstance.
    I think that Odin was summoned by these Tonberries.
    We don't really see Dragons in XIV, the best we see are Drakes. A different species, I assure you; simply look at the way they move, the way they stand, the attacks they perform.
    As such, I would wager that the Tonberries are behind the resurgence of Odin.
    It has been shown before that Beastmen are capable of summoning, and what better a place than the Circular temple of Sorrel Haven?
    Moreover, I seem to recall the Tonberry and Odin summons were in the same place in FFVIII; if you need more proof of a connection.
    Both are somewhat slow, Odin often counts down before his attack, and deals massive damage.
    Tonberries often exhibit similar traits.
    So, there you have it.
    If this happens, I called it. If not... well, at least I had good measure.
    (1)
    Last edited by Kirol; 12-12-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Anonymoose called it.

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    You forgot the Sylphs and Midgardsormr isn't a Primal. He is the guardian of the big lake in Mor Dhona irrc.
    (0)
    Last edited by AmyNeudaiz; 12-12-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirol View Post
    <snip about Primals>
    Primals seem to be more patrons than anything else. They don't look anything like their benefactors, so it seems that they're just latching onto their society - these beings come from the aether ("not beyond, but amongst") and identify with a group, using them as a base that they then give supernatural gifts and power to in exchange for aether and worship.

However, getting involved in a contract with these beings seems to cause a lot of problems - the races, like the primals, become very protective of aetheric monopolies, quick to anger, abusive of power, and paranoid of others' intentions.

For this reason, it's clear that Moogles, Goblins, and Qiqirn aren't meant to have legitimate primals because it would ruin their playful, morally ambiguous nature. Good King Moggle Mog is referred to as a "Legendary" figure that they called from the ather "as if it were" a primal.

The only exception to this is possibly the Sylphs, who stood by their "we're not summoning the primal" goal before - but if Ramuh's coming into being, then either we need a new beastman race aligned with thunder (less likely), or they're going to fall from grace.

Midgardsormr isn't a Primal - he, like the Sea Serpent we saw in the Lominsan opening, is a great beast credited to being created by The Twelve; great beings that came into existence at the same time as other facets of reality, such as water, aether, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirol View Post
    As such, I would wager that the Tonberries are behind the resurgence of Odin.
    That's an interesting thought - though, tonberries are often of the semi-violent ambiguous beastmen akin to the qiqirn and goblins. One thing you have going for you is that their element hasn't been represented and is not one of the Six Aspects. Tonberries are associated with colorless magics, particularly light, or in this case, "Astral."

The location fits, at least, as I'm starting to think that Odin was the primal that caused the Empire to halt their advance in the first place.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 12-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Kirol Blackgate
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Anonymoose, you called that. It's almost half two in the morning here. Still, you called it. Bahamut is their primal. My bad.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aluena Mahri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    beaten to the punch :3
    (1)
    Last edited by Kayokane; 12-12-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Go Go Anonymoose!

Player
    Character
    Kirol Blackgate
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    You get a like for your humility. <3
    (0)
    Last edited by Kirol; 12-12-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Go go go go go Anonymoose! Just a matter of time until Matsume arrives!

Player
    Character
    Aluena Mahri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I spent too long looking for Yoshi-P's post :3

though I do like reading peoples theory crafting
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kirol Blackgate
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    The only exception to this is possibly the Sylphs, who stood by their "we're not summoning the primal" goal before - but if Ramuh's coming into being, then either we need a new beastman race aligned with thunder (less likely), or they're going to fall from grace.
    Well, yes. Considering that they seem to be aggro in 2.0, that would be the consensus. I've seen aggro and placid sylphs, so they seem to be similar to Goblins and Qiqirn in that respect. Perhaps these three races are split on the idea of the 'human' races.
    That's an interesting thought - though, tonberries are often of the semi-violent ambiguous beastmen akin to the qiqirn and goblins. One thing you have going for you is that their element hasn't been represented and is not one of the Six Aspects. Tonberries are associated with colorless magics, particularly light, or in this case, "Astral."
    Well, given I played XI, I'd say they're more of a Rainbow.
    A Rainbow of hatred and destruction.
    They had a hate bar which built up the more you killed of their species, but there was no way to help them... so I guess you're stuck with Everyone's Grudge.
    At least in XI, their element was Astral since their patron dropped Carbuncle's Mitts, which made them Astral.
    That said, Odin is Non-elemental, and for the majority of the games, as are they.
    (0)

Considering SE gave the Tonberry an actual backstory that tied into the overall storyline for Zilart and CoP expansions, I wouldn't be surprised if they're another active role and could be linked to Odin, but that would place the Tonberry on a very high spot in the "humanity" hierarchy, since unlike the rest, they're the ones who brought back an elder primal, meanwhile the other lowly denizens are merely bringing about elemental primals.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kirol Blackgate
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/130

... called it.

(Only just read that, my post came before I was aware of this. ^^; )
    (0)
    Last edited by Kirol; 12-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast