Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Alpha First Look: Video 5 - Quests and Combat

We hope you enjoy our fifth installment in the Alpha First Look video series, in which we witness our heroes undertaking quests and engaging in battle.

The Duty List allows players to complete a quest from start to finish without needing to refer to the journal, as quest objectives and destinations can be easily confirmed through this new feature. Combat is also improved to be more intense and varied—weaponskills can be used to initiate battle, and spells can be cast from further away.

* The battles in this video involve low level enemies. Targeting and actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

* Level progression is primarily quest-based.

* The battle system is currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system.
    (98)
    Triairy - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Raeven Crux
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 56
    i luv u triairy
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Mizore Shirayuki
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quests smell cookie cutter... Same thing over & over... Just like in TERA
    (20)

Quote Originally Posted by MizoreShirayuki View Post
    Quests smell cookie cutter... Same thing over & over... Just like in TERA
    Yes, this is how you make level progression possible.
    (23)

Player
    Character
    Sieg Hack
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I love how they kind of force you into the dialogue with the quests instead of making it only available in the quest overview window where it's often overlooked by common MMO players. I still get that slight feeling of immersion from the NPC as they give me some long-winded backstory after accepting the quest.

Also, bravo to the person who composed that battle music, I am loving it alot.
    (25)

Player
    Character
    Rath Skybreaker
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 88
    Those weapon skills, look so cool...
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Perrina Avolara
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 21
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Yes, this is how you make level progression possible.
    This is how you make level progression, repetitive, mindless and boring if you have no imagination and have decided instead to just copy almost every other MMO for the past 8 years with the same repetitive "kill x of y" crap.

Talk about uninspired and derivative.

And why even have the quest dialog in there at all? Hell even the person in the video isn't taking the time to read it. And why bother? They have *3* different indicators showing you exactly where to go for the kill quest, and 2 showing you where to go for the "moist depression".

"Well, we have all this dialog but, you probably won't read it anyway. But, in case you do, you're probably too dumb to figure out where we're directing you to. So, we'll show you on the mini-map. And because you're probably too dumb to realize the circle on the mini-map indicates where you should be, we'll put markers for the mobs on the mini map too. Now don't panic... We know you're too dumb to figure it out even then. We've accounted for that by also putting large markers over the mobs' heads in-game too. You don't even have to know what the mobs are called or what they look like. Just look for the big, intrusive golden markers walking around."

For the other quest.. "go to the clearly marked, pulsating markers on your mini-map and look for the moist depression. Okay, you're too dumb to figure out the purple hazy looking spots that just happen to be exactly in the same spot as the mini-map markers are likely them, and you're probably too much of a mouth-breather to figure out that targeting those spots will tell you what they are. So, don't worry. We'll make sure to have the words "moist depression" hovering over them as well. Hopefully it's not too presumptuous of us to assume you can read big words like "depression".

"See? We have your time in mind! We know you don't want to be bogged down with boring stuff like interesting content that actually requires your participation, attention and, you know... usage of your brain (I mean, pfft.. who wants to use that?). We realize what you're really interested in is getting all this boring gameplay stuff out of the way so you can get back to serious stuff... like jumping up and down on tents."

Give me a freaking break already with this patronizing, hand-holding "we will show you exactly where everything is so you don't even have to try" crap already. Seriously. Gamers are far smarter than this nonsense.

What a cop-out.
    (50)
    Last edited by Preypacer; 12-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Player

Dont think I have come across an mmo which didnt have cookie cutter level progression quests, if you have please post.
    (13)

Character
    Ryo Ruruzigo
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    god the quest looks so easy...... even my dog can figure that out......
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Talshara Blade
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 72
    I'm definitely liking the new spell animation, and the nice big targeting rings so you can definitely tell what you have targetted. I kept wanting to grab my controller and see what the tool tips said for the abilities

As far as quests, you can only do so much that is different. If you can quest or camp to xp, it's just good to have choices! I can't wait to play!
    (11)
    Last edited by Talshara_Blade; 12-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Less Reality makes for better Fantasy!
    Support adding "6 Fulms Under" to gpose!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/376127-Request-for-gpose%21-Sinking%21

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast