Character
    Jesse Sandor
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 47
    Quote Originally Posted by Hestern_Nestern View Post
    [Reposted from other Fish Thread by way of Pure Hilarity]

Oh no! I immediately thought of Fishing Representative LL Coram when I heard the news, straight from the Yoshi-P's translated mouth. To this news I say:

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jesse Sandor
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 47
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei_Tsunarashi View Post
    Seems like they are moving the focus away from the economy like we thought.

They want fishing to be just a relaxing activity apparently.
    I'm not so sure about that actually. Consider that cooking and alchemy will most likely still use fish in their recipes. If this is true, fish will still be a valuable commodity on the Auction House. There is no way for the game devs to predict what the going price of these items will be as it is the player base in each server that ultimately determines the market. I honestly think they are referring to NPC prices when they say it will not be of high value and this probably is a smart move to combat RMT activity. As for us real fishermen and fisherwomen, most of us will not be selling our hard caught goods to the NPC. We would want to go to the Auction House and sell to other players right?

The first thing I am gonna do in Phase 3 is go to the auction house and look at cooking goods and alchemy goods and see if there is anything that sounds like it would require fish (i.e. seared tilapia, fish oil, whatever). If there are, there will be a market and it should still be profitable.

As for what fishing itself will be like... guess we just have to wait and see.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    I honestly don't know what to think anymore. Today's news has been incredibly deflating; when matched with the complete lack of dialogue between us and the devs, and the lack of its inclusion in phase 3, yet now knowing that it's something incredibly simple with no real mechanics to speak of, it just drives home the point that the devs don't give half a toss about us. I suspect Yoshi would delete the class if he could...

He may as well be doing.

In any case, I'll wait until I actually get to play it. From what I'm hearing though, this game is no longer for me.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    And so we finally get a look at the new fishing mechanic. The problem is I can't even call it that. It's exactly as we feared it would be. The worst case scenario.

Fishing:
    - Click cast (first key press)
    - Wait
    - Bite
    - Character pulls in fish for you

Rinse and repeat. This new system, a system in a big budget MMO where the whole point is to play the role we want to play, where we're expected to pay $10 a month, has been turned into a mechanic that actually has less interactivity than animal crossing.

As far as I can tell, I'm done. Good luck to everyone who wants to keep playing this. Know in advance that unless you like pure combat, the devs don't give a flying fuck about you. So if you enjoy gathering, if you enjoy crafting, or if you enjoy anything at all that doesn't involve quests or fighting, be ready to have your favourite class destroyed. One day Yoshi will swoop down, look at your favourite class, and say, "Yep, I'm going to destroy this one. I feel like players have too much stress, and blah blah conversation with nature blah blah no economy blah blah talking to friends."

Good luck everyone.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    And so we finally get a look at the new fishing mechanic. The problem is I can't even call it that. It's exactly as we feared it would be. The worst case scenario.

Fishing:
    - Click cast (first key press)
    - Wait
    - Bite
    - Character pulls in fish for you

Rinse and repeat. This new system, a system in a big budget MMO where the whole point is to play the role we want to play, where we're expected to pay $10 a month, has been turned into a mechanic that actually has less interactivity than animal crossing.

As far as I can tell, I'm done. Good luck to everyone who wants to keep playing this. Know in advance that unless you like pure combat, the devs don't give a flying fuck about you. So if you enjoy gathering, if you enjoy crafting, or if you enjoy anything at all that doesn't involve quests or fighting, be ready to have your favourite class destroyed. One day Yoshi will swoop down, look at your favourite class, and say, "Yep, I'm going to destroy this one. I feel like players have too much stress, and blah blah conversation with nature blah blah no economy blah blah talking to friends."

Good luck everyone.
    I thought I saw that when the pole jigged (the bite), an ability was used on the hotbar to reel it in. Granted, that's less interactivity than before (more like WoW).

I like the concept of collecting the full library of fish and that there's a degree of pre-planning involved in gear, bait and location.

I'm disappointed we didn't get any new systems (eg group fishing instances) and that Fisher has no impact on the rest of the game through items or economy and is essentially not a Gathering class at all. In LotRO, it is a separate thing called a 'Hobby' - it seems to now be like that.

Sad day though Llen; I was looking forward to hanging out with you at fishing holes across Eorzea. I hope either you reconsider, or that something changes down the line (pun!) in a patch that'll reignite your interest.
    (3)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    I thought I saw that when the pole jigged (the bite), an ability was used on the hotbar to reel it in. Granted, that's less interactivity than before (more like WoW).

I like the concept of collecting the full library of fish and that there's a degree of pre-planning involved in gear, bait and location.

I'm disappointed we didn't get any new systems (eg group fishing instances) and that Fisher has no impact on the rest of the game through items or economy and is essentially not a Gathering class at all. In LotRO, it is a separate thing called a 'Hobby' - it seems to now be like that.

Sad day though Llen; I was looking forward to hanging out with you at fishing holes across Eorzea. I hope either you reconsider, or that something changes down the line (pun!) in a patch that'll reignite your interest.
    I'll still be there at phase 4 and early access. I'm going to try it. I might even surprise myself and find that my tolerance for tedium is so high that I'll enjoy this new system.

I'm just not getting my hopes up.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Estelomo Claustrada
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    I'll still be there at phase 4 and early access. I'm going to try it. I might even surprise myself and find that my tolerance for tedium is so high that I'll enjoy this new system.

I'm just not getting my hopes up.
    I am glad at least that you'll stick around for a little while longer (and that you'll try it).

I thought all of the pre-planning involved contained a lot of depth. I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but...

Standing by your side, we've all grown to adore you, Llen. I really want to fish with you someday. We'll be on the same server!

But it's not your responsibility to stay. I just hope there is enough here to keep you going.

/hug
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Lumos Lightheart
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I am really glad you will at least give it a try. It is disheartening, for sure. I am hoping for the best. It would be nice to know that fishing would be needed for at least providing culinary and alchemy ingredients, but I hear these fish will be available at vendors for very low cost. I loved fishing so much in XI, had Ebisu Rod and 100 fishing. But I also loved other things about XI, and now XIV. The game will keep me going because fishing is not my only interest. But it is sad that they may have turned it into nothing but a mini-game. I don't even like mini-games. :/
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Notorious Monster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Any chance anyone can link me to a youtube video with the footage?

Then again, I'm almost scared to watch it.

I am 10000 points in disappointment with what could have been an awesome system. Here's hope that an outcry from disappointed fisherpeoples may save it yet. ; ;
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    I think the closest thing i can compare the new fishing system to, is collecting tokens or w/e said game calls them in a sand box game. Items scattered across the world to be found through auto fishing, bait/rod/time/day/weather switching. Basically all the complicated bits will be up on a website in a heart beat and most players will just follow that to the letter. I'm sure there will be plenty who will do it if there is proper incentive to do it but enjoy it? That i guess would depend on how much players enjoy running around and ticking off a list because that seems to be as involving as fishing will get for most players. Maybe i'm wrong but everything i've heard keeps pointing me towards fisher being a completionist's past time, with a bit of required for x coming later on(treasure maps).

I will test it but i don't see myself playing it for anything more than because i have to for one item or another.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alaltus; 08-10-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast