Player
    Character
    Notorious Monster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Glad to see you make this thread Llen!

I too am very scared of the changes we might encounter because we've essentially have been left in the dark here and at this point I get this feeling that we're stuck with whatever hand we're given. I just hope the developers make fishing feel like an actual class, not a side-hobby, not a chore, but have it be what it deserves: a full dedicated stand alone class with content that can compare to that of the battle classes. And this goes for all gathering classes.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    That's a little bit disappointing as fishing in both FFXI and FFXIV both stimulated the economy in some way. I guess if fish aren't being considered much as a crafting commodity that they at least should be given a decent NPC value. Some would disagree with this though since inflation is more prevalent when money is generated by NPCs rather than coming from other players. (see Atomos event)

I hope that's just a misunderstanding due to translation as fish should at the VERY LEAST be used commonly in cooking.
    I agree, but I'm sure it was just a bit of strange translation. I can't imagine Yoshi would completely remove any meaning from the class, because really, even I would have a hard time being motivated to fish if absolutely nothing came from it. I'm sure cooking at the very least will still need fish.

The possibility that it was just badly translated/transmitted by the article writer is why I'm still a bit wary. We all really need to get our hands on it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    It's official. We're no longer a class. Any hopes of actually enjoying fishing are now gone.

Q10: How will fishing work in FFXIV: A Realm Reborn?

A10: It's probably best if you actually experience it in-game, so let me just go over the broad concept. In ARR, you will first need to walk near a water spot, select a fishing pole that matches the type of water, and then select the bait. There will be no actions during the fishing process. Instead, we will be providing a variety of fish-types depending on the area.
    I'm not sure who told Yoshi that "please make it more involved" meant "please remove any and all effort," but I guess that's what he took from it.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Reinheart Valentine
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 86
    I was sad when I heard that answer
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    It's official. We're no longer a class. Any hopes of actually enjoying fishing are now gone.

I'm not sure who told Yoshi that "please make it more involved" meant "please remove any and all effort," but I guess that's what he took from it.
    I really enjoyed fishing in XI and XIV (Call me a bit of a masochist...) and when they said they were revamping the fishing system for ARR I was wondering what they were going to do. I was hoping for an exciting minigame, hell even something akin to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess fishing would have been SO much fun, maybe not implementable but still an interesting idea to entertain.
    Now I'm not so sure, I was really excited for ARR but fishing was a big hobby of mine and now I feel like it's something that's been ruined. This is reminiscent of the early XI fishing days before the minigame where you just pretty much hit 'Fish' and wait. There's no enjoyment in this><
    (4)

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I really enjoyed fishing in XI and XIV (Call me a bit of a masochist...) and when they said they were revamping the fishing system for ARR I was wondering what they were going to do. I was hoping for an exciting minigame, hell even something akin to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess fishing would have been SO much fun, maybe not implementable but still an interesting idea to entertain.
    Now I'm not so sure, I was really excited for ARR but fishing was a big hobby of mine and now I feel like it's something that's been ruined. This is reminiscent of the early XI fishing days before the minigame where you just pretty much hit 'Fish' and wait. There's no enjoyment in this><
    I agree. Fishing was my main thing in 1.0. It was relaxing and fun, and even if the system needed work, it was still enjoyable. After seeing what the new botany looked like from the live videos, I got worried that fishing would be equally as dumbed down, but still held out hope because Yoshi said it was going to be different. Yesterday the interviews said that fishing won't be tied to crafting classes, which I took to mean it wasn't going to be completely dumbed down like botany looks to be. I guess everyone else understood it the proper way though, in that it won't be tied to a crafting class because it's going to be utterly pointless.

Laugh all you want, everyone reading this and wondering how anyone could have liked fishing in 1.0, but if fishing is truly as ruined as it sounds, there's nothing for me left in the game. All the housing and chocobo raising and whatever won't stand against the simple pleasure of standing on a cliffside, fishing all day, so that later I can supply my shellmates with free/cheap fish.

There's nothing left for me now.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I agree. Fishing was my main thing in 1.0. It was relaxing and fun, and even if the system needed work, it was still enjoyable. After seeing what the new botany looked like from the live videos, I got worried that fishing would be equally as dumbed down, but still held out hope because Yoshi said it was going to be different. Yesterday the interviews said that fishing won't be tied to crafting classes, which I took to mean it wasn't going to be completely dumbed down like botany looks to be. I guess everyone else understood it the proper way though, in that it won't be tied to a crafting class because it's going to be utterly pointless.

Laugh all you want, everyone reading this and wondering how anyone could have liked fishing in 1.0, but if fishing is truly as ruined as it sounds, there's nothing for me left in the game. All the housing and chocobo raising and whatever won't stand against the simple pleasure of standing on a cliffside, fishing all day, so that later I can supply my shellmates with free/cheap fish.

There's nothing left for me now.
    While it's not as 'gamebreaking' for me, I am very disappointed. I LOVED fishing in 1.0 and enjoyed being able to spend my time fishing for my alchemist and my culinarian, now it sounds like it's going to be boring as hell and about as enjoyable as pulling teeth. Kinda akin to the early 1.0 crafting where you spammed standard synth over and over... very monotonous. But atleast we can talk while fishing now -_-
    "What are you doing?"
    "Contemplating jumping from his dock due to sheer boredom."
    "Fun"
    (4)

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    While it's not as 'gamebreaking' for me, I am very disappointed. I LOVED fishing in 1.0 and enjoyed being able to spend my time fishing for my alchemist and my culinarian, now it sounds like it's going to be boring as hell and about as enjoyable as pulling teeth. Kinda akin to the early 1.0 crafting where you spammed standard synth over and over... very monotonous. But atleast we can talk while fishing now -_-
    "What are you doing?"
    "Contemplating jumping from his dock due to sheer boredom."
    "Fun"
    I'm not entirely sure why he thought talking was such a big thing. I could talk just fine while fishing in 1.0, it was never an issue. I keep refreshing the twitter page and the forums hoping that it's all a bad dream, but... I just can't bring myself to care. This is actually heartbreaking.

It's no wonder we won't be able to test fishing until the third beta phase though, because there's nothing there to test. I was saying from day one that if fishing is so much different from botany, then how come the first beta phase only takes place in gridania? Why isn't fishing available? People need to test it to make sure it works.

Now I can see the answer though. If it's this mindless, with zero input from the player, then what's there to test. If it's just as simple as clicking on the water and waiting X number of seconds, they could just have a bot test it for them. The system is probably perfect already because it's so pointless that they didn't even need player testing.

Honestly, at this point I'd even take what they gave botanists. Please SE, don't take my favourite class away. This is the worst possible route.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    snippet!
    I am hoping that with enough outcry from the fishing community Yoshi-P and his team will give this another look ><. This is definitely the wrong way to go
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    I am hoping that with enough outcry from the fishing community Yoshi-P and his team will give this another look ><. This is definitely the wrong way to go
    I'm afraid there're not very many of us. The number of people who hated fishing in 1.0 and are happy that this is the way Yoshi is going with fishing and gathering in general are much bigger than the number of true Gatherers, and they're louder as well. This will likely all get washed out because "lol who cares about gathering stupid go fight something lol if you want to fish go fish in real life lol."
    (5)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast