Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Sorry Rein, I agree with Hiir. Even if fishing is totally different, it will still likely follow this trend of "make gathering as simple as possible." I love Yoshi and I think he's done amazing things, but this is one area where Tanaka had him beat. Choosing to let gatherers and crafters finish the storyline was odd, yes, but at the base of it it's because Tanaka wanted all the professions to stand as equals. I truly love fishing in the game, to the point where it took me a year and a half to get even one DoW/DoM to 50. I have no idea what they'll do to fishing, but seeing what they're doing to gathering in general fills my heart with dread.

I'll be there in beta, and the very first thing I'll do is test the fishing. Beyond that... who knows. If they've ruined it as much as I'm pessimistically assuming they have, I'm dead serious when I say I'll have to find another game to play. Call me crazy if you want, I know it sounds it. I just hate that it feels like I'm the only one who has an issue with the direction they're taking gatherers.

It's a shame there are so few of us.

EDIT: Deli made a really nice post in the Retainer Level? thread. I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions. I wear my heart on my sleeve, and seeing a potential threat to my playstyle is... disheartening.
    (2)
    Last edited by LlenCoram; 01-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Player
    Character
    Adell Raynes
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Even if fishing is made easy and casual, I think there could be plenty of stuff to add to it to set it apart, or make it enjoyable, or even -> something unique to put time/effort into

So here is a little list for my dreams for fisher! :

1. revised bait/lure usage
    2. questable, personal fisher boats and access to the fishery
    3. fishing spots only accessible with the boat
    4. mini game at the fishery, maybe award points for providing items/feed for fish
    5. gutting fish addition either at guild or random spot
    6. quests for fishers
    7. other questable only rods/gear, nice to look at, decent stats
    8. legendary fish, some useable and some just for looks "i did it!"
    9. hard to get bait for some of the harder fish
    10. weather/moon phase/event and what not for nodes
    11. dangerous gathering spots: deep in dungeons or out in the wild
    12. gathering party bonuses!

idk thats about all I can think of that I would like on fisher, I'm sure some of you creative types could come up with more~

edit: adding more random stuff

13: better crafted items from fishing (gear/potions/crystal results)
    14: fsh having a use at later end game areas. fish up a pop item, use ability to find a spot, fish up a monster etc
    15: deep sea pet! (I know I'm random) feet a deep sea creature in a cave, get buffs, watch it grow over time, tie in a quest line
    16: or a tiny pet that follows you /shrug
    17: interesting characters in lore for their fishing prowess, or interesting characters in the new quests aside from pervy old guy
    18: if we dont get personal boats, more boat routes through interesting areas that have specific catches
    (6)
    Last edited by Volsung; 01-29-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Even if fishing is made easy and casual, I think there could be plenty of stuff to add to it to set it apart, or make it enjoyable, or even -> something unique to put time/effort into

So here is a little list for my dreams for fisher! :

1. revised bait/lure usage
    2. questable, personal fisher boats and access to the fishery
    3. fishing spots only accessible with the boat
    4. mini game at the fishery, maybe award points for providing items/feed for fish
    5. gutting fish addition either at guild or random spot
    6. quests for fishers
    7. other questable only rods/gear, nice to look at, decent stats
    8. legendary fish, some useable and some just for looks "i did it!"
    9. hard to get bait for some of the harder fish
    10. weather/moon phase/event and what not for nodes
    11. dangerous gathering spots: deep in dungeons or out in the wild
    12. gathering party bonuses!

idk thats about all I can think of that I would like on fisher, I'm sure some of you creative types could come up with more~
    These sound fun, and would definitely make me feel better about my favourite job potentially being gutted and reduced to a "chore."
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nok Nokinator
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    I think some of you are jumping to conclusions to fast. I am a provider of the realm and I like change so I can not wait to see what there gonna do but it is not gonna go away. I think need to wait for a few phases of beta before we complain on the direction of things.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Adell Raynes
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    These sound fun, and would definitely make me feel better about my favourite job potentially being gutted and reduced to a "chore."
    Glad they don't sound totally lame. I'm not main fisher but do have my gathering classes at 50. So with fisher being your favorite class, is there anything wild or just fun you'd like to have added, that would make it enjoyable?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cynthis Ravenbrook
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    I just hate that it feels like I'm the only one who has an issue with the direction they're taking gatherers.
    You are not alone! When I started in 1.0 I got into Botany and it was my second 50. I couldn't stand fishing though and as expected it was my last 50. When I decided to go for the luminary tools I started with mining since I needed the mats for the crafting luminaries but I decided to do some fishing in between every day since I was sure I would never be able to complete it in any other way than just doing a little every day.

It turned out I really started to enjoy it though and the luminary fishing rod ended up being the first luminary gathering tool I completed with Botany being the last. Go figure.

I completely agree with you though that I really enjoyed gathering in 1.0 and I am dismayed at the simplification and having it be called a chore.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dexterity Jones
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 57
    I tried to get my RoL, think I only needed like 8K more fish before servers shut down, haha ooooh well.

That being said, I did manage to get my Anglers Hat from hamlet, <3 fishing.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterityJones View Post
    I tried to get my RoL, think I only needed like 8K more fish before servers shut down, haha ooooh well.

That being said, I did manage to get my Anglers Hat from hamlet, <3 fishing.
    For our sake then, I hope fishing is still the best gathering class in game! We're so close to beta now, I can just taste it. My excitement is starting to overthrow my anxiety at them having ruined fishing. I'm even starting to think there's no way they could have!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Finally some fishing news!

Fishing, however, will not be retaining its previous functionality. I asked Yoshida whether fishing will have more tradeskills using its harvested items in the revamp, and he replied that the team actually went in the opposite direction by making fishing focus on the experience of fishing. If you like to fish, you can enjoy it as a hobby with its own merits rather than simply feeling it's necessary for a crafting class.

Unfortunately, this does mean that we can give up on the idea of fist weapons made from live sharks.

Of course, the in-game gathering log will provide players with a wealth of information about where to get what they need from the two gathering professions that still focus around crafting classes. Some items will be obtained through other means. And then there's the Lodestone site and the game's upcoming mobile app...
    Source

It more or less says exactly what I've been saying: Botany (and mining) look to be made solely to support crafters. My concern was that fishing would be as pointless, but from this it sounds like they made it something special. It's the best news I've heard in weeks, and though I'm still a little worried, I can breathe a bit easier.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    That's a little bit disappointing as fishing in both FFXI and FFXIV both stimulated the economy in some way. I guess if fish aren't being considered much as a crafting commodity that they at least should be given a decent NPC value. Some would disagree with this though since inflation is more prevalent when money is generated by NPCs rather than coming from other players. (see Atomos event)

I hope that's just a misunderstanding due to translation as fish should at the VERY LEAST be used commonly in cooking.
    (1)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast