Character
    Jinrya Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90

What I expect of Black Mage/ Thaumaturgy in 2.0

Thaumaturgy
    to remain roughly the same as it is in 2.0, yet Fire/Ice spells reworked to actually be useful.

But needs to redone in a way that makes it different to play than Black Mage. Something similar to how Arcanist can only use Carbuncle, and Summoner will be able to use the essence of other primals.

It has to been changed, or it needs to be dropped. It plays too similar to black mage with hardly a difference minus a few abilities.

Black Mage
    Gains access to all elemental spells with no cross-class penalty. Fire/Ice improved, my god I can't stress this enough.

Flare changed to a single target ranged spell that does high damage, removing the burning DoT. Give burn to Red Mage.

Freeze is changed to Blizzaga and becomes able to be comboed. New Freeze made to be pure high damage, while casting blizzaga itself will drop hate.

Burst no longer the 15 minute ability. Drop the Hp less than mobs does higher damage thing, if you aren't planning to fix that. Just make it a regular cast time and add a slightly larger cost to mp to balance it out.

On a different topic, mobs. ALL mobs need have the resistances changed. If you are going to the elemental wheel split, you need to drop all the mobs resistances to 0. Unless the mob is made out of magic like a fire elemental, nothing should be able to resist a spell.

Like trying to use Blizzard and Blizzara on Garuda, that wasn't gonna happen at all. Or trying to fire > fira > firaga miser even though it's weakness was fire, lightning was faster and more mp effective.

If I went up to Titan, I should be able to go "Ok, lightning is out of the question, let's try Ice or Fire". With the current set up, you'd probably wouldn't even bring a black mage to the fight.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    A bit too specific for a reasonable expectation to express, but I agree with most of your underlying suggestions.

A few things from me:

BLM is fine with just primarily fire/thunder/ice. The no penalty thing for what I assume is regarding water/stone/aero is unnecessary. Leave those to WHM.

I hope for more creative magic effects and skill design than what you have listed out.

Though we can agree current BLM is not okay. Though I think after MNK it's the most changing job so I suspect we'll be pleased.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Ralos Mikorius
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinrya-Geki View Post
    But needs to redone in a way that makes it different to play than Black Mage. Something similar to how Arcanist can only use Carbuncle, and Summoner will be able to use the essence of other primals.
    I think if they made each spell for THM single target only or aoe only, they could give an upgrade to BLM with the ability to choose between Single Target or AoE
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Great idea, Ralos!

I'll pass it along to Yoshi-P personally

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    If I went up to Titan, I should be able to go "Ok, lightning is out of the question, let's try Ice or Fire". With the current set up, you'd probably wouldn't even bring a black mage to the fight.
    *sharpens axe* ...you say that like it's a bad thing....
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Strawberry Dragon
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 61
    Thaumaturgy
    to remain roughly the same as it is in 2.0, yet Fire/Ice spells reworked to actually be useful.

It has to been changed, or it needs to be dropped. It plays too similar to black mage with hardly a difference minus a few abilities.

Black Mage
    Gains access to all elemental spells with no cross-class penalty. Fire/Ice improved, my god I can't stress this enough.

Flare changed to a single target ranged spell that does high damage, removing the burning DoT. Give burn to Red Mage.

Freeze is changed to Blizzaga and becomes able to be comboed. New Freeze made to be pure high damage, while casting blizzaga itself will drop hate.

Burst no longer the 15 minute ability. Drop the Hp less than mobs does higher damage thing, if you aren't planning to fix that. Just make it a regular cast time and add a slightly larger cost to mp to balance it out.

On a different topic, mobs. ALL mobs need have the resistances changed. If you are going to the elemental wheel split, you need to drop all the mobs resistances to 0. Unless the mob is made out of magic like a fire elemental, nothing should be able to resist a spell.

Like trying to use Blizzard and Blizzara on Garuda, that wasn't gonna happen at all. Or trying to fire > fira > firaga miser even though it's weakness was fire, lightning was faster and more mp effective.

i would like to agree on the full elemental wheel, my only problem is ppl asking "do you have blm?"

Quote Originally Posted by HiirNoivl View Post
    *sharpens axe* ...you say that like it's a bad thing....
    exactly
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinrya Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    It is bad when the only thing I play as is Black Mage.
    (0)

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Jinrya,

I have a call from the spokesman for all the DRG entusiasts in FFXIV...

He would like to have word with you.

Something about a club he wants you to join.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Jinrya Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I would be a dragoon, but everyone is against having a wyvern. So no.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Strawberry Dragon
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 61
    It is bad when the only thing I play as is Black Mage.
    i dont think BLM will be that useless, its more of a problem if only blm get scouted for raids and what not.
    Another thing is ppl asking forr you to level BLM even though you want to use only xyz
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinrya Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I won't have this problem, considering I hang out with the coolest people who like to try things.

My problem is when the situation arises where black mage may be utterly useless do to mob resistances.

No game should ever have a fight where someone is left out.

Which is why I am expecting either Fire/Ice and Ancient magic spells to be redone to be actually useful, and/or mobs resistance to be redone so that only pure magic based mobs, such as primals and elementals, to resistance 1 spell type.
    (2)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast