Player
    Character
    Elkwood Davidson
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

[Dev] Overtaxation of PC Hardware

I looked for an official Dev tag for UI and client optimization however I was sadly not able to find one, so I just put [Dev] in the topic hoping this will find its way to the correct team. My main focus of this topic is to hope that SE will look and resolve the primary issues surrounding the PC Client and the intense taxation it has on our PC hardware. I am not sure if the issues surrounding the game and the immense stress it has on PC related functions are a result of the engine used to code the game, RMT/BOT prevention, or just utter poor coding on the original teams part.

FFXIV as stated in beta many numerous times is capped at using only 2 Cores or threads on a PC, no matter what. I am not a programmer but I imagine sadly this probably cannot be changed even tho a vast majority of users have Quad and 6 Core Processors, it seems the threading on these 2 cores is capping at 60-80% CPU usage, which is utterly horrid and causing unneeded stress on our CPU's. I am hoping the Dev team will be able to look into this before summertime, as I am vastly afraid of what the summertime heat is going to do to my PC in particular, but others as well.

Memory Leaks - Seriously SE WTF, Please tell me why in gods name it is necessary after 4-6 hours of play for FFXIV to be eating up 1.5GB of Physical RAM on a consistent basis. NO PROGRAM has ever done this. Why does FFXIV have such bad memory leaks, these memory holes cannot be good for the game much less creating yet again even more stress on our systems. I shutter to think how bad the PS3 version will function if this is not resolved. Unless SE PS3 have more RAM then the store released ones which sadly only have 512 MB of RAM, I can see no way that this game will even function on a PS3 with the way this game eats through RAM, was this done to prevent the problems that plagued FFXI, or once again was this just bad coding.

GPU Usage - I have no idea on how to even begin to address this one, But this game seriously overtaxes a GPU. Why when launching the client and getting the login screen does a GPU temp jump from 32C to 50C and you are not even in the game yet. This game is going to fry a lot of peoples PC's that cannot afford to watercool come summer. My GPU alone while running FFXIV in this joke of a window mode is sitting at 85C on 1920x1080. You may not see the inability to Alt-Tab properly as an issue, but these various little quirks are going to destroy peoples hardware. Most people do not have just 1 monitor, and your security measures or miscodings are preventing people from using what they have paid for.

Please SE dedicate a group of people to properly fixing the client for the PC, before you begin to work on the PS3 version, remember PC users are your client base as well, and currently your only customers playing FFXIV.
    (187)

Player
    Character
    Skieve Shadowfang
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 80
    This is certainly a big issue , i still have nightmares reading the issues with FFXIII destroying Ps3, and frozen screen at square enix logo.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Corrderio Arseid
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Agreed with OP.
    (0)

Player

One thing I noticed with my PC, is upping to 8x AA, it has lowered my CPU/GPU usage and dropped my temps. Game runs smoother also. Before I was running 2x AA, I think the game is poorly optimized for those settings and it actually makes the game run worse.

Really adjust those settings around and find the happy medium. It can save your pc for sure.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Indeed, it's a huge issue. FFXIV heats up my video cards faster than a furmark stability test, that's pretty insane when you think about it.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Evangela Monterossa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    while running XIV, my graphic card has 75~80 celcius. also make my PSU hot like an oven
    (0)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    FFXIV as stated in beta many numerous times is capped at using only 2 Cores or threads on a PC
    Maybe it was in beta, but why is FFXIV using more than 50% of my CPU at all times, with a substantial load on all four cores of my AMD Phoenom II X4?

even tho a vast majority of users have Quad and 6 Core Processors
    A majority of hardcore gamers might, but not a majority of all PCs.

NO PROGRAM has ever done this.
    My client doesn't leak to this much memory, it uses nearly that much just after getting into the game with a character for me.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-04-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Player

Agreed and *liked* your post.

When I start this game up, I can hear how much harder my PC has to work. It is really worrying. I also have a new box that I put together myself, it was initially for SC2 but it can handle basically any game.

when I run FF, my computer gets worked. o.o
    (1)

Player

FFXIV is the most GPU intensive game on the market right now. And that is NOT okay.
    (14)

"We all enjoy a delicious slice of yummy cake every now and again."
    ~ Moderator Jhanaka

Player

Agreed+liked OP, look at the level of detail distance in limsa and that is using 80% of my 6970? Sad.
    (5)

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast