Player
    Character
    Rowyne Olde
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rose View Post
    at this point i'm wondering why they ever came with the idea to have this run on a console anyways.
    should have just concentrated on a PC only version this time around.
    consoles never were, and never will be the first choice when it comes to MMO's.
    ^ This

SE is like a babe in the woods entering the PC-gaming world.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

We are not like your console audience. We will make or break you. Step it up.

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexiaKidd View Post
    Yeah I do not like that we are already hearing this. As much of an out cry this will cause I wish they would just drop PS3 support and go to the Wii U as initial reports from devs are saying it is at least twice as powerful as a PS3/360, hopefully that would allow more head room for FFXIV and then they can port to PS4 when it is released in 2014 or whenever it is released. To be honest at the speed they are "fixing" FFXIV, 2014 could be when it is finally ready to be considered for release on the PS3 anyway ^^
    Its not the console hardware, per se....
    I am not sure the Wii U SDK has any networking info right now... and we know the network can be a deal breaker for a cross platform MMO....
    Isn't Xbox Live the reason we wont see this game on the 360?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Alex Kidd
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    Its not the console hardware, per se....
    I am not sure the Wii U SDK has any networking info right now... and we know the network can be a deal breaker for a cross platform MMO....
    Isn't Xbox Live the reason we wont see this game on the 360?
    Actually from what Nintendo and Devs have been saying Nintendo are going to let the Devs make there own online network for there own games, so for SE that part would be pretty easy as they would just need a bridge to the servers as it were.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Elkwood Davidson
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Dear SE

Third times the charm. I Brought this one back as well.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Naylia Petrova
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rose View Post
    should have just concentrated on a PC only version this time around.
    consoles never were, and never will be the first choice when it comes to MMO's.
    Doesn't matter if PCs were the first choice of MMOs in the past decade....the PC is a dying gaming platform. FPS's were also once were the domain of PCs....but that doesn't seem to be going so good. Here's some info on the PC vs Console markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    Between just 1998 and 2006 console software sales more than doubled, from $2.5 billion to $6.7 billion, while PC game sales dropped from $1.8 billion to $970 million. Even the FPS, once exclusive domain of the PC, is now a console enterprise, with Call of Duty: Black Ops launching on 4.9 million sales on the Xbox 360 and PS3. The PC version, meanwhile, sold less than 400,000 copies (the NPD lumped them in with sales of the Nintendo DS and Wii versions).
    Gamepads with a chatpad are perfectly acceptable for MMOs...the PC is not the future of gaming, and if I were planning a game for the next ten years,... it wouldn't be designed to cater around people hunched over their mouse and keyboard.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pandora Vainglory
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
    Doesn't matter if PCs were the first choice of MMOs in the past decade....the PC is a dying gaming platform. FPS's were also once were the domain of PCs....but that doesn't seem to be going so good. Here's some info on the PC vs Console markets.

Gamepads with a chatpad are perfectly acceptable for MMOs...the PC is not the future of gaming, and if I were planning a game for the next ten years,... it wouldn't be designed to cater around people hunched over their mouse and keyboard.
    Consoles do not hold the longevity of PCs. PCs are still better adapted for gaming due to hardware upgrades & customization. M/KB is still better for accuracy and physics than a gamepad. If MMOs were so amazingly well-bread into consoles, we'd have WoW on PS3 & Xbox.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Consoles do not hold the longevity of PCs. PCs are still better adapted for gaming due to hardware upgrades & customization. M/KB is still better for accuracy and physics than a gamepad. If MMOs were so amazingly well-bread into consoles, we'd have WoW on PS3 & Xbox.
    Thats partly PC marketing hype... I spend MUCH MORE on keeping my PC ahead of the curve than I do on new consoles... and I have 2 PS3's, a 360, DS XL, PSP and a Wii

Gamepads are more recognizable, more comfortable and more convenient for video games.... thank the NES for that
    Games that are released on PC and console do inevitably sell more on consoles...

With PC there are chances for incompatibility and require a little know how to maintain...

I personally prefer PC games, but that is just me.... The trend is towards consoles, as consoles become PC's in and of themselves

Also, WoW is not on console because it didn't have to be .... because it sold 12 mill WITHOUT the work of adapting it to console....
    On Xbox they would have had to deal with MS and been coerced into Xbox only servers
    With PS they would have had to adapt the game to PSGL from directX
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Naylia Petrova
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Here's some more recent sales data culled from NPD December 2010 Report:

2009 2010
    Video Games Software (Console+Portable – New Physical): $9.92B $9.36B
    Total Software Sales – (Console+Portable+PC New Phys)): $10.60B $10.06B

Math =>
    2009 PC Software Sales = $0.68B
    2009 PC Software Sales = $0.70B

The PC game market is roughly a 7% share of the total video game market....

WoW is old news. If I were a company today...deciding where to invest my resources...well let's just say I understand why the KB/M UI is an obvious secondary concern for SE. (See also complaints regarding Dungeon Seige III's recent launch and shoddy KB/M configuration support). It used to be that the PC was the primary platform, and then it got ported to the console. But I'm starting to get the reverse feeling from many games nowadays.
    (0)
    Last edited by Naylia; 06-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Player

PC vs Consoles?

Stay on topic or GTFO!
    (4)
    Rarely Plays
    See your face upon the clear water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
    loltanaka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

Player
    Character
    Naylia Petrova
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    It's the mods fault - he made the comment about lack of support for enhanced PC capabilities since they are keeping the PS3 in mind...

PC Client performs poorly -> because SE hasn't optimized/enhanced engine for PC as much as they should/could-> because the market isn't large enough to care about apparently

Just root cause of the problem...
    (0)

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast