Player
    Character
    En Digi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

Time Mage Awareness

I'll probably lose some points for linking to another part of the forums.

Anyhow, it's just a post about Time Mage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ear#post893368
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Please not more "Time Mage" threads.. Especially with the lack of classes currently in the game. There are a huge list of jobs that needs to be introduced and to be honest "Time Mage" is at the bottom of it. Besides, a "Time Mage" is sort of a modified Red Mage in previous FF's (yes they do have their differences), so I can presumably speak for the community here but the majority of us would rather see Red Mage come much sooner then Time Mage.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    I don't understand the point of this thread. Why did you make it?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Altena View Post
    Please not more "Time Mage" threads.. Especially with the lack of classes currently in the game. There are a huge list of jobs that needs to be introduced and to be honest "Time Mage" is at the bottom of it. Besides, a "Time Mage" is sort of a modified Red Mage in previous FF's (yes they do have their differences), so I can presumably speak for the community here but the majority of us would rather see Red Mage come much sooner then Time Mage.
    There was actually a player made poll that showed Time Mage pretty close to Red Mage, if not equal.

Try not to speak on behalf of the "majority" withouth evidence
    (17)
    Last edited by AmyNeudaiz; 11-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyNeudaiz View Post
    I don't understand the point of this thread. Why did you make it?

Edit:

There was actually a player made poll that showed Time Mage pretty close to Red Mage, if not equal.

Try not to speak on behalf of the "majority" withouth evidence
    I didn't vote, and I am sure many others didn't.. So this is basing it on a sample size of hmmm a few hundred out of thousands? Also note the word presumably in my original post (stating that I am assuming or "probably" without evidence to prove it, ie guessing/expecting), therefore no evidence is required.
    (2)

Player

Time Mage > Red Mage.
    (17)

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolf View Post
    Time Mage > Red Mage.

/highfive for Time Mage
    (13)

Player

I always wanted it in XI even though it wouldn't have been viable

I really hope they don't tie up all the time based spells with the other jobs in this game.

Comet, Reflect, Stop, Old, Regain (maybe), Regen, Mute, Float, Gravity, Slow and Quick would be cool. Maybe haste if they actually made it not so OP.

Quick would be cool, if it lowered all your cooldowns.
    (5)

Player

So... because not everyone voted, RDM's numbers were hugely off? Are you that sure that everyone who didn't vote was a RDM zealot?

I personally wouldn't like RDM in XIV. A jack of all trades has no place in an MMO.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolf View Post
    So... because not everyone voted, RDM's numbers were hugely off? Are you that sure that everyone who didn't vote was a RDM zealot?

I personally wouldn't like RDM in XIV. A jack of all trades has no place in an MMO.
    Those that would pick RDM possibly tied themselves up in other jobs, start another poll leaving RDM and "time mage" as the only 2 options, then I will care for the results..

I was talking about this with a friend on Skype, he is pro-time mage so it started up an amusing discussion, but the major points I made were:

- The concept lacks utility in XIV's current form. ( Stop would be overpowered on boss fights - or wouldn't land on anything worth stopping, mute/silence I would imagine is more of an Arcanist ability - eg. Siren's pact, float - what... makes you immune to Quake which isn't even in the game yet? etc~ I could go on.)

- Spells that are considered "time/space" based spells can be easily covered across the 3 current casting jobs in future level caps very easily, without making one class overpowered. (eg. Bind, Gravity etc)

- In a party setup, due to current mechanics, the only thing a time mage would be doing is standing in the corner spamming Haste or Regen on people. (i.e. they become a haste bot). There is very little flexibility / movement with the job.

- Some spells that are space/time based spells are iconic WHM and BLM spells in FF's that don't contain a specific time mage (which is the majority of them) and would rather see those respective jobs get them in the distant future (comet/meteor, reflect).

tldr; despite my trolling posts earlier, time mage doesn't have much utility, game mechanics would force them to be a haste bot, and some spells that would fall under the "space/time" category are iconic WHM/BLM spells.
    (0)
    Last edited by Altena; 11-16-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Player

Those that would pick RDM possibly tied themselves up in other jobs, start another poll leaving RDM and "time mage" as the only 2 options, then I will care for the results..

I was talking about this with a friend on Skype, he is pro-time mage so it started up an amusing discussion, but the major points I made were:

- The concept lacks utility in XIV's current form. ( Stop would be overpowered on boss fights - or wouldn't land on anything worth stopping, mute/silence I would imagine is more of an Arcanist ability - eg. Siren's pact, float - what... makes you immune to Quake which isn't even in the game yet? etc~ I could go on.)
    We don't know enough about ARR to make that call. If something was OP, they could change the functionality. Make Mute slow spell casting etc.
    - Spells that are considered "time/space" based spells can be easily covered across the 3 current casting jobs in future level caps very easily, without making one class overpowered.
    You could say that about any magic. Through this logic, RDM is unnecessary because it only uses Black and White magic
    - In a party setup, due to current mechanics, the only thing a time mage would be doing is standing in the corner spamming Haste or Regen on people. (i.e. they become a haste bot). There is very little flexibility / movement with the job.
    We're past current. Once ARR is released, then you can make calls like that. If it does turn out to be the case, it will have to be tweaked, like BRD was tweaked.

The flexibility is limited to the devs competency.
    - Some spells that are space/time based spells are iconic WHM and BLM spells and would rather see those respective jobs get them in the distant future (comet/meteor, reflect).
    Through this logic we might as well not add any new mage jobs.
    (9)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast