Player
    Character
    Eclipse Haven
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70

What Pet Classes Would You Like To See

The votes were in and Pet Class had the most votes total. I know many of us are excited to get started on that class, having a companion at your side brings a whole new dynamic to the gaming experience.

Do you want a Pet Class and have high hopes for it?

Have you played other MMO's or Single Player's and remember something that you loved about a certain pet class that they hope implement?

Do you hope they keep everything as it was in XI?

Do you dislike pets or have allergies and would prefer to keep a rock?

Do you prefer a traditional Pet Class from XI?

What about a Hybrid of Pet Class characateristics from multiple MMO's and single players?

How do you think SE can improve on the Pet Classes from FFXI to FFXIV?

I want to see feedback on this topic. Lets let our imaginations run with ideas. Have fun. I love to theorize about topics like this because it makes me feel like we are one step closer to getting there. I also love to read peoples ideas as some can be very brilliant.

Side Note: I personally wouldn't mind having a adventuring fellow! (Non-instanced) *cough* *cough*

Here is a chart of the Pet Classes that I am familiar with and have experienced. I know there are many other people from other MMO's that have a lot of input. So please feel free to add some.

Dragoon is not included for obvious reasons.

---

My first ever MMO was FFXI. I played that solidly since 2008/2009 so my experience in other MMO's is very limited, however I did dip into World of Warcraft for a bit and there was one thing I really liked...

My initial thought when I asked myself "Which pet classes do I want to see?" was "Perhaps it is time for another Disciple of Magic." But I realize that I am looking for something more.

Summoner
    My ideal pet class would be a FFXI Summoner sparkling and whirling elementals and all. I don't have hopes that it will be as grand and or well, I am really worried that it won't meet my expectations. I wish we could get more feedback as to if we were going to get a Summoner, which direction would it go? I have heard it suggested that instead of the Elemental Avatars we will get creatures more like Carbuncle? Interesting thoughts.

Beastmaster
    So... back up plan! Beastmaster (With a Twist). Using a jug to summon your pet...(unaware of how the system has evolved, have not played since 08/09ish). And unfortunately the concept didn't really appeal to me at the time. However I loved the idea of Beastmaster, I just felt it limited.

Why not have Beastmaster reflect more along the lines of WoW's Hunter. Allow Beastmasters to tame and level up aggressive beasts from around the realm (though Snurbles would be awesome too). Allow them to be our companions wherever we may go. Instance, town, ferry.

What I also liked is that there was a lot of what I considered fun Solo content for Hunter. I really enjoyed camping the Rare mobs that to me were lovely and really provided me with a sense of accomplishment when I tamed one of them. So for more added solo content could be Beastmaster taming rare / unique looking mobs around Eorzea.

If we look at the man and beast relationship. The above would be more realistic in regards to how humans interact with beasts. Over centuries man has domesticated animals from adversaries to tools and companions. They have traveled with us for thousands of miles, evolved with us, and now share even our most deadliest health risks. Through thick and thin our animal companions provide companionship, food, clothing and tools. We form bonds with our animals and friendships which may be short but memories which may last a lifetime.

---

I realize not everyone will agree with me that we all have our own different perspectives or ideas and I will state again, this is what I enjoyed. This isn't an end all statement that will change the face of FFXIV forever, just some fun talk about some fun ideas revolving Pet classes. Thoughts, ideas and suggestions!

My Journal Entry
    (1)
    TMPST Est. 1.0
    Tempest Free Company of Hyperion

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind having a adventuring fellow! (Non-instanced) *cough* *cough*
    The personal Chocobo's will be fulfilling this role post 2.0 (with FFXII-style gambits possibly!)

For my part, I would like to see Beastmaster as more of a "Pet" class while Summoner is an Uber-Spell class (as pre-FFX summoning magic was).

I will say that from what Yoshi~P has said about Summoning magic (regarding not having 300 Ifrits following ppl around), his priorities seem to be in in the right place.

The latest 2.0 concept art as well as storylines, .dat items, etc.. would seem to indicate that Evoker/Summoner is our next class/job. First Summonable mobs could possibly be Carbuncle, Fenrir, Typhoon, and Cait Sith.
    (3)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 08-04-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Chad Thunderkoch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    none, new jobs are dumb
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kouji Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 58
    dont forget Necromancer! but im hoping summoner. So this game atleast has one of the jobs i like. I want it to be a actual pet job not a 1x summon then its gone, leave that casting to Blms.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eclipse Haven
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    The personal Chocobo's will be fulfilling this role post 2.0 (with FFXII-style gambits possibly!)

For my part, I would like to see Beastmaster as more of a "Pet" class while Summoner is an Uber-Spell class (as pre-FFX summoning magic was).

I will say that from what Yoshi~P has said about Summoning magic (regarding not having 300 Ifrits following ppl around), his priorities seem to be in in the right place.

The latest 2.0 concept art as well as storylines, .dat items, etc.. would seem to indicate that Evoker/Summoner is our next class/job. First Summonable mobs will likely be Carbuncle, Fenrir, Typhon, and Cait Sith.
    Thanks! I really had not heard much else about Summoner so any news is good news. That does sound better than what I had original thought.

--

Necromancer, I never played that in an FF. I would be interested in knowing more about it.
    (0)
    TMPST Est. 1.0

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Necromancer, I never played that in an FF. I would be interested in knowing more about it.
    There's a reason you haven't.. it's largely considered a villainous job in FF realms and has only been playable as a bonus job once -- in a special game boy edition of FFV.

I don't really think its in flavor for this series. Beastmaster, Summoner and are the staple and established 'pet' jobs for the franchise.

Puppetmaster and Chocobo Knight might be another options, but they still don't have the history that BST and SMN do.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 08-04-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kouji Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 58
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    There's a reason you haven't.. it's largely considered a villainous job in FF realms and has only been playableas a bonus job once in a special game boy edition of FFV.

I don't really think its in flavor for this series. Beastmaster, Summoner and are the series' staple and established 'pet' jobs.

Puppetmaster is another option, but it also doesn't have the history that BST and SMN do.

But thats why i think it be nice for them to add, its only ever been in 1 final fantasy and would add a new spin to this game.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Taal Kheru
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    none, new jobs are dumb
    Current jobs are boring as hell.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Eclipse Haven
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by KoujiGeki View Post
    But thats why i think it be nice for them to add, its only ever been in 1 final fantasy and would add a new spin to this game.
    Like I said above, those are the only two MMO's I played and not many FF's either so question: Since my first thought of a Villainous job would be Dark Knight, because of the name itself implies villainy, how many FF's has it been in?

I can see Necromancer being Villainous in nature, by utilizing the bodies of the fallen as weapons. However, something off the cuff like that may be a nice twist. Though, how would they work. Would you need actual corpses or did you summon the dead?

Though fitting into the game would seem like a challenge in my opinion. It seems that we are all jobs that are light, none really even tapping into darkness. Though we may get more players if we have a dark job.
    (0)
    Last edited by Eclipse; 08-04-2012 at 04:28 AM.
    TMPST Est. 1.0

Player
    Character
    Doctor Beatbox
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Like a mix between Beastmaster from FFXI and Hunter from WoW.

I want it to be like XI where most of your actions are done using the pet, but I want it to be like WoW so I can name my pet and others can see the name.

CourtneyLove, the Goobbue, shall grace the land or Eorzea like a boss!
    (0)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast