Player
    Character
    Rainbowdash Pegasus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 4

SE consider a free to play option

I am asking you SE to consider a free to play option in addition to subscription model. In today's PC market the majority of MMOs and other action RPG type games are free to play. Take a look at Guild Wars 2, Star Wars the Old Republic, Aion, Everquest 2, Lotro, Diablo 3, League Of Legends, Phantasy Star Online 2, DC Univerise online, the list goes on.

The market today really won't support a paid only MMO. With so many free to play MMOs out there some where devs spent millions on like Star Wars. Why would someone pick up FFXIV when they have to buy it and pay a sub fee?

With free to play + micro transaction model some people will be inclined to buy funny hats, unique looking armor, weapons, mounts, exp boosts they will actually end up spending more money then like 10 subscribers.

A much larger playerbase will be attracted due to not having such a high barrier to entry which would be the monthly fee which in today's economy many people would not even consider paying.

A majority of games who may be Final Fantasy fans would skip FFXIV:ARR just because there is a monthly fee tided to it. However if they feel like they are not being forced to pay monthly and only buy stuff on the game store if they feel like it you can actually get more people to try the game and buy stuff. If you check out comments on gaming sites like Gamestop, IGN, Kotaku the biggest complaint you see about FFXIV when it comes up is that there is a monthly fee.

I keep a lot of F2P games installed on my hard drive and play them every so often. Same can't be said for MMOs that require a fee.

I would consider at least taking a look into the free to play model and what it can do for you.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Aion Zwei
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 54
    The market today really won't support a paid only MMO. With so many free to play MMOs out there some where devs spent millions on like Star Wars. Why would someone pick up FFXIV when they have to buy it and pay a sub fee?
    are you sure want the answers?
    (83)
    Aion Zwei - Masamune

Player
    Character
    Firon Veleth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    The same reason 10 mil + ppl pay subs to play wow. If the game is good enough people will pay for it.
    (112)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    No thanks.
    (106)

Player
    Character
    Grand Muse
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 71
    There's a complex issue with this Free to Play and in-game item buy with real world transaction.

1. Free to play is nice to the mass, however for SE's business point of view (or for any company) it can be a disaster highly likely. Also, there won't be enough income generated for SE's employees and other things such as expansion, updates, 24/7 hotline, etc., etc...long list.

2. Real world money transaction to buy in-game items are ridiculous and highly dangerous to the company because like diablo III, people are not happy with it. Plus, RMT will have to be dealt with if SE goes this route, including people who finds way to quick easy route to be elite!

Thank you, BUT no thanks.

Side note - Yoshida was asked the same question during an interview only pertaining to F2P but he said he'll think about it.
    (18)
    Last edited by Totorixiii; 11-23-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aion View Post
    are you sure want the answers?

I'm okay with 14-day trials, but not F2P. Just because other MMO's are doing it doesn't mean SE should.
    (77)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Zoobie Senjougahara
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Why is it that every single free to play MMO that I've tried has framerate stutter problems? It's not my computer.

But really, is it because they need to pay their programmers more to go over the code and clean it up / optimize it or something? I can't enjoy so many MMO's because of that freaking problem. If it's because they don't have enough money I'll happily pay the monthly fee.

I'm probably in the minority on this problem but it's something I absolutely can't deal with. If the game isn't running fluidly 99% of the time I just can't enjoy it. Otherwise why the heck did I spend so much money building this computer? WoW runs perfectly smooth 99.9% of the time. And don't say graphics suck because those free to plays are not beautiful either. I can't enjoy so many MMO's just because of that. Trust me I wish I didn't care that much about the stuttering but I do, and I've noticed it's mainly in the free to play games.

Also, don't they have less content updates too because they're not raking in enough money?

edit: please don't say "I don't have that problem with my free to play MMO's" because chances are you DO damn it. lol.. My eyes are just superhuman when it comes to tiny stutters and every time it happens it's like lightning going through my body.

And yes I realize 1.0 has this problem hardcore and it's not free to play. The reason I'm here is in the hope (I'M PRAYING TO EVERY GOD I KNOW) that 2.0 is smooth among other things.
    (6)
    Last edited by IloveYouPumpkin; 11-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aki Rouscelia
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I prefer to pay a monthly premium for access. Why? Because I know that with my money the game company doesn't have to subsidise what it doesn't make in subscription base via other avenues. This also keeps out most of the undesirable players.

I'm also against a micro transaction based model; this will cause all sorts of problems and take away structure from the game. All that can be achieved within the game, should be provided by what we make and labour for in the game.
    (41)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    No F2P, and why did you make a third thread to two threads already about this.

Trials are ok.
    (28)

Player
    Character
    Grand Muse
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 71
    You know what's real funny?

If someone don't want to pay monthly subscription then why the hell do they want to spend money on in-game items transactions?

Or if they can't afford $10-$13 monthly subscriptions why the hell does in-game item for real world money transaction even be possible for these cheap people?

If you can't afford monthly payment of only $13 a month, i'm sorry...but at least get a minimum wage job that should cover it. Not being mean or anything, it's just logic.
    (22)

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast