Character
    Onion Guardian
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    Bard is clearly not a bard in FFXIV
    it's just an archer that cast a song ever 30sec, for the rest of the time you play as an archer, clearly
    Yeah but that's part of the problem. Especially if we see a Ranger class, Bard needs to be more Bard-like.

Great video OP, shows what a bard in the truest sense of the world should look like.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    Bard is clearly not a bard in FFXIV
    it's just an archer that cast a song ever 30sec, for the rest of the time you play as an archer, clearly
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolf View Post
    I hope they change BRD into more of a support tbh. Support jobs are my favourite thing to play, but a lot of the time it feels like BRD's support songs take a backseat.

And it looks more like a ranger than a BRD.

I don't mind using a bow, but I'd like music to be the primary focus of the class.

Crazy people wanting a bard to have anything to do with music and morale. :P
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Odintius Baelsar
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    If they add song for the love of christ make them sound all different not like ff11 bard god it got annoying lol.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Keith Dragoon
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I kinda like how Mabinogi did their Bard class, you can play ANY song you want and link it to the buffs/attacks of your choice and the music you can make is cool and fun.

I spend hours just standing around playing music to level up my instrument skill so i can play more complex tunes.

Examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MooocNNlu0g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUga4WnNTvU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMJVuKVwgHk
    (3)

Keith Dragoon - Ambassador of Artz and Adorable

Player
    Character
    Sophia Althea
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Instruments sound awesome, attacking stuff with a violin would be so much fun!

But let's leave out the penguins D:
    And the unicorns *shudder*
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Luluna Eve
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I was so happy to see Bard coming to the game.....but then was disappointed with how it turned out!! I love support jobs and i feel brd just doesn't feel right, it does need to be looked at and i hope they give us more songs and make it more Brd like.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
    And the unicorns *shudder*
    Oh gawd Q_Q you are so right lol. While the idea for an instrument wielding BRD was nice, that one looked like it got pooped out of Barbie's dream world.
    (3)

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Metyn Aurea
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    I'd agree that a more musically inclined bard would not be a bad thing. But People need to understand why the team decided to go this route.

Bard as it is in FFXIV is basically a straight up fusion of the FFXI ranger and bard class. As a long time FFXI player, it is very apparent to me why they thought this pairing would be a good idea.

A lot of players in FFXI had bard as a job, but few actually made bard their main job. Why? Because it was boring to play. the running joke among the player base was that people who got bard to max promptly lied about having it afterwards because no one wants to play the job. It was for pure support and pulling. And while it had its fair share of nuances, it never had the satisfaction of actively seeing its effects on the target directly. You rarely see the bard pull out its daggers to engage in combat. Bard's whole gameplay centered on running back and forth between the melees and mages playing songs in a rotation.

Ranger suffered from a different problem. As a damage dealer that required range for effective accuracy, it made the melee weapons they equipped useless other than stat bonuses. As a job, it was static. Rangers found a spot to stand and then just shot arrows from that position non-stop. The job required almost no movement at all during combat. There is already a job that plays this way: BLM. There's no reason to have another.

The answer was to combine the two jobs so that you had a ranged damage dealer that also had the capacity to enhance teammates based on location. This allowed the bards to both help other players and also feel satisfaction by actively dealing damage and using weaponskills, while also giving ranger players some incentive to stay mobile during combat.

Pure support classes are usually made out to be incredibly good due to their need of having to beat out a DD or healer for a spot in the party. But this has the side effect of them being almost a necessity in endgame content. I'm sure the FFXIV team wanted to give the player base more choice in party composition, so they allowed the bard to also take on some DD duties, and therefore have less reliance on songs. Ifrit and Mog fights do not require bards for this reason. And even garuda fights do not require bards because of their godly songs, but rather for their ranged plume control.

I for one support the team's decision to have combined these classes. And if they do add additional songs and animations and even instruments to the job... great! But I hope the underlying principle remains. The jobs are designed to be fun to play, while also allowing player choice and job variety. Don't lose that.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    Rogue Muse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Oh gawd Q_Q you are so right lol. While the idea for an instrument wielding BRD was nice, that one looked like it got pooped out of Barbie's dream world.
    More like Barbie, My Little Pony and Happy Feet coliding and going supanova like This
    (0)

Character
    Andrien Bellcross
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Polive View Post
    *snip*

I didn't use FFXI Bard as a reference for a reason otherwise I would have put a link up on the OP. However most agree that FFXIV Bard gameplay is nearly 100% identical to an Archer, and that is what draws the disappointment. As someone before said, you play a support skill, then the majority of the time you still play like a regular Archer. That is not 50/50, its more like 90(Archer)/10(Bard)

edit:
    I personally would like to hear more music for bard, and to actually see the animation of using instruments like the harp etc.
    (3)
    Last edited by Andrien; 11-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast