Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Duuude007 View Post
    There were many issues with this early form of materia... many which could be compounded when Grade V become available at the next cap raise.

Just be glad the change is being done now, when its effect is less of an annoyance.
    Are you sure you would like to attempt a double meld with Materia VII and Materia I, your chance of success is 0. Lol >.>

Yeah, not good for longevity.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ferth Fontaine
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    Another thing to consider is that the stat system is changing too. So those dragoons with a bunch of extra piety gear might suddenly find themselves with a lot of really silly gear.

On the one hand I can certainly appreciate the value of rarity, and getting that triple meld certainly can make you feel a cut above the rest.

But really materia melding in 1.0 was just a big kick in the groin for anyone who didn't have either millions of gil to spend or just a tremendous amount of time to craft/bond/meld. Seeing a double meld with a 20% chance was a bit prohibitive. I'm in favor of balancing the odds a bit. Double melds shouldn't be so scarce. And they can still ramp up (or down as it were) for subsequent melds.

Let's see how it is in Beta. And if it's just a little too forgiving, let them know.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Mrv Light
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Majidah View Post
    I don't think anyone ever complained about this. If its not broken, don't fix it, I'd say.
    *reads thread*

Doesn't look like anyone else has a problem, looks like most people actually did/are complaining about the previous system.. including myself.

never understood the need for 4 tiers of materia within each tier of materia personally.. just bloated the system needlessly.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Arkine Vanrien
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    He did say that the effect of materia will be lowered, so maybe a double meld wont have as big of an effect on your performance as it does now, or even better, maybe the stat increase will be reduced (from 20 on T4 to 10?)

We just don't know yet, and as a person who spent a bunch of gil on double melds and triple meld attempts, I'm not bothered one bit by this.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aion Zwei
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 54
    with more casual melding plus lesser stackable effect for same materia, we will see more customization. At least give chance to those yellow materia to be used
    (0)
    Aion Zwei - Masamune

Player

RNG =/= skill

Removing luck as a factor is important. It's the same reason nobody used the aptant system in XI.
    (20)

Player
    Character
    Aedan Yarborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    This doesn't bother me either.

I mean, I'm all in favor of difficult things that make dedicated players stand out from the pack and reward them for their hard work but we're not talking about that with the melding system. People are just held captive to a random RNG process and some get lucky. And while I don't necessarily have a problem with that, I would prefer skill and hard work to trump luck any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Undrentide View Post
    if you want to be a sadist and blow millions and millions of gil thats up to you.
    Risk vs Reward. Something all new MMOs fail to grasp in concept. It's not being a "sadist", you're taking the risk to pimp yourself out, you should not be handed things so easily. It was very high up there in the RNG factor, but the risk vs reward was in the right place: Very risky for the best reward in that system possible.

If you buy 5 high tier materia and can slap it on with no risk..sure the general gamer will like that because they get something good with no work or risk, but in terms of gameplay balance? SE will have a whole world of problems to deal with.

On the plus side though, this is exactly why they said melded gear won't matter as much as it did in 1.0.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Duuude Bismarck
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    The question I have is whether a player must have X strength to equip a specific piece of gear rather than being X level. how stats change could be very, very dramatic for all we know.
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Risk vs Reward. Something all new MMOs fail to grasp in concept. It's not being a "sadist", you're taking the risk to pimp yourself out, you should not be handed things so easily. It was very high up there in the RNG factor, but the risk vs reward was in the right place: Very risky for the best reward in that system possible.

If you buy 5 high tier materia and can slap it on with no risk..sure the general gamer will like that because they get something good with no work or risk, but in terms of gameplay balance? SE will have a whole world of problems to deal with.

On the plus side though, this is exactly why they said melded gear won't matter as much as it did in 1.0.
    Less risk

Harder goals

Losing because of luck is far more frustrating than losing because of ineptitude.

Winning because of luck is far less satisfying than winning because of skill.

I want to earn my rewards through skill, not endless grinding with luck being the deciding factor.
    (36)

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast