Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80

Materia Reborn

Q11: How will the materia system change in ARR?
    A11: Basically, there won't be too many changes. In the current version, there are fluctuations in the resulting stats for materia, but in ARR these fluctuations will be removed. The rate for multiple melding will be higher than it is currently, and the materia system as a whole will be made more casual.
    Got 77 likes so far, so must have a great overall approval, including mine. Bout time they get rid of the stat fluctuations, and with the decrease in effect of materia stat increases on the player, increase in multi-meld success rate to compisate, which would also make that nasty Relic weapon double meld less of of an issue, but only less (If that will even still be part of the relic quest).

Especially since a lot of gear that dropped that wasn't considered 'better' than a double meld item was on a much much lower drop rate than the meld success rate.

I still think they need to equalize the rarity of materias, the base ones like Mind vs Touch of Rage, not the newer ones like evenflow, and talk about how and if resistance materia would play a bigger role in ARR.
    (2)
    Last edited by Reika; 11-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Player
    Character
    Deepening Shadow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    With this change I hope that raid gear's stat values are increased (actually, unless a cap of about 3 melds per piece is enforced, raid gear is going to need a pretty huge upgrade). In this way, you can put in effort and time and clear very difficult instances and be rewarded justly. But, if you don't have the time/skill or are simply uninterested in raiding, you can still have decent gear.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFatHousecat View Post
    With this change I hope that raid gear's stat values are increased (actually, unless a cap of about 3 melds per piece is enforced, raid gear is going to need a pretty huge upgrade). In this way, you can put in effort and time and clear very difficult instances and be rewarded justly. But, if you don't have the time/skill or are simply uninterested in raiding, you can still have decent gear.
    I think that is how melded gear should have been viewed and used as in the first place, not better replacements for work-required dungeon or instance obtained gear that cant be melded on to.

They wont need to increase the stats on most or any dropped gear tho, as materia will have their effects reduced on the player in ARR. Some dropped gear does need its stats altered or increased tho, as many of them are quite stupidly set up, and with some of the base stats that effect classes changing in ARR, they will need to be changed somewhat or they might not end up fitting the classes they are currently meant to be equipped to.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Inzoum Zimia
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    A11: Basically, there won't be too many changes. In the current version, there are fluctuations in the resulting stats for materia, but in ARR these fluctuations will be removed. The rate for multiple melding will be higher than it is currently, and the materia system as a whole will be made more casual.
    LOL @ everyone who spent several hundred thousand (if not millions) of gil extra to get that 1 additional Enmity on higher-tier Touch of Rage Materia IV when they're all going to be rounded to the same values.

Oh. Crap.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzoum View Post
    LOL @ everyone who spent several hundred thousand (if not millions) of gil extra to get that 1 additional Enmity on higher-tier Touch of Rage Materia IV when they're all going to be rounded to the same values.

Oh. Crap.
    Though, it is one of those "it should have never been that way" kind of things. It mostly wasted inventory space to get materia with fluxuating results.
    (0)

Player
    Uldah (i picked Limsa Lominsa by mistake at phase 4!)
    Character
    Undie Nilleshna
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    ill actually try melding now....i was never one of those players who amassed huge amounts of gil so could ill afford to throw it away. Now though with improved chances ill give it a go.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Inzoum Zimia
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Reika View Post
    Though, it is one of those "it should have never been that way" kind of things. It mostly wasted inventory space to get materia with fluxuating results.
    I totally agree. And in a way they were smart about not telling people about their plans to normalize materia values prior to the final save. Just think of all the cries of injustice and economy crashes. Buyers would have complained that there's no point in paying more for higher-stat materias in the same tier, and sellers would have complained that their high-stat materia lost a ton of value.

The info's out at a time where no one can change anything anymore and what's done is done. thank goodness for that
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deepening Shadow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    They wont need to increase the stats on most or any dropped gear tho, as materia will have their effects reduced on the player in ARR. Some dropped gear does need its stats altered or increased tho, as many of them are quite stupidly set up, and with some of the base stats that effect classes changing in ARR, they will need to be changed somewhat or they might not end up fitting the classes they are currently meant to be equipped to.
    Where does it say that? ;o And I still think that dropped gear will need to be beefed up a little. Let's just take for example a pair of triple ATK gloves; since melding chance will increase, a pair of triple melds should be pretty common. And since different stats per tier are being taken out, we can assume that 3 tier IV's will amount to exactly 90 ATK gloves.

For dropped gear; if you're a DRG or WAR, the best choice would be DL Gauntlets, at +50 ATK. For MNK or BRD however, DL Bracers are the only choice, at +30. Of course, Bracers also have very nice ACC on them and the Gauntlets are pretty great for WAR with the VIT, but those are both stats that can be made up in other pieces.

This is just an example of course, but it shows just how big a difference there can be from a piece of fairly annoying to get dropped gear and a perfect triple meld in the same slot.

Of course, I think we both basically agree on the basics of dropped gear vs. crafted. And I'm not suggesting that all dropped gear be spectacular. One dungeon that's about the level of difficulty of say, AV, versus another that's as difficult as Rivenroad (Hard) will obviously have different tiers of gear drops, and that's a good thing. But, if they're going to make melding easier, which is perfectly fine as well, they probably should re-prioritize what sort of stats they have on the dropped gear (as you mentioned), and beef them up a bit to be equal to or greater than a triple meld of BiS crafted.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFatHousecat View Post
    Where does it say that? ;o And I still think that dropped gear will need to be beefed up a little. Let's just take for example a pair of triple ATK gloves; since melding chance will increase, a pair of triple melds should be pretty common. And since different stats per tier are being taken out, we can assume that 3 tier IV's will amount to exactly 90 ATK gloves.

For dropped gear; if you're a DRG or WAR, the best choice would be DL Gauntlets, at +50 ATK. For MNK or BRD however, DL Bracers are the only choice, at +30. Of course, Bracers also have very nice ACC on them and the Gauntlets are pretty great for WAR with the VIT, but those are both stats that can be made up in other pieces.

This is just an example of course, but it shows just how big a difference there can be from a piece of fairly annoying to get dropped gear and a perfect triple meld in the same slot.

Of course, I think we both basically agree on the basics of dropped gear vs. crafted. And I'm not suggesting that all dropped gear be spectacular. One dungeon that's about the level of difficulty of say, AV, versus another that's as difficult as Rivenroad (Hard) will obviously have different tiers of gear drops, and that's a good thing. But, if they're going to make melding easier, which is perfectly fine as well, they probably should re-prioritize what sort of stats they have on the dropped gear (as you mentioned), and beef them up a bit to be equal to or greater than a triple meld of BiS crafted.
    Took a while to find but here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Snurble here in your thread~!

I wanted to give you some details on what's being planned for stats in A Realm Reborn.

In regards to battle-related stats, it is currently possible to receive large boosts from stats on equipment, while character stats do not have as much of an effect. For example, equipping items with multiple materia melded to it will allow players to become quite powerful. In A Realm Reborn, we are planning to make adjustments so that the ratio of influence from character stats and from gear stats is 1:1. With this, having 5 materia melded onto a single item won’t elicit as large of a difference like it does currently.

Similarly in the current version, even when players add large amounts of INT and STR via equipment with multiple materia and such, it may feel like damage is not increasing and this is due to a damage range that has been set. Fundamentally, battle related stats fluctuate based on the level difference between enemies, and this is also why we are not planning to display evasion rates and other things.

For crafting, the stats in A Realm Reborn will have a greater influence than now, and for gathering, the requirements to obtain HQ items will be visible!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Deepening Shadow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    Took a while to find but here it is:
    :O you're a doll, tyvm

So I suppose, if I understand what she was getting at correctly, there will be a softcap on how useful stats are on gear. So, while dropped gear probably will still need an upgrade (I don't think the lowered effect she mentions is materia-specific), rather than having a straight +100 ATK gloves drop, it would be better to have something like DL Bracers, with the 30 ATK, ACC, etc (more meaningful additional stats would be nice too >:I).
    (0)
    Last edited by TheFatHousecat; 11-12-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast