Player
    Character
    Aitheria Crimson
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikosho View Post
    Why not, the whores at the Miner's guild already flirt with female characters and allude to naughtier things.
    I hope they are okay : <
    (8)

"Thy life is a river to bear rapture and sorrow
    To listen to suffer to entrust until tomorrow
    In one fleeting moment, from the land doth life flow
    Yet in one fleeting moment for the new leaf doth grow"

Player
    Character
    Kisam Kosam
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilenya View Post
    I will have to say, to anyone who complains about it, I would really like to just bop them upside the head and remind them that this is a game, and as such really doesn't have any bearing on the real life issues. Heck, they can't even invoke God, because, to the best of my knowledge, the 12 gods we have in Eorzea don't care about same-sex marriage.
    I understand how you feel, and I'm gay so I would love to have same sex marriage in the game, because unless my bf was playing the opposite sex I guess I'm single huh? However, the amount of bad publicity game makers were getting with games like GTA "promoting violence in children", you know some groups out there will bring it up again about homosexuality.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiKayla View Post
    I hope they are okay : <
    My first stop once I get back to Ul'dah in ARR.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Issachar View Post
    I dont think a poll is appropriate for this topic. The fragility of the topic goes beyond this simple game, it could negatively affect the company and it's brands if mishandled.
    ^^ Understands the big picture.

When weighing the benefits and drawbacks to each side, they put far more at risk by adding it than leaving it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I think they could dodge a lot of bullets if they didn't call it 'marriage' but tried a different name like bonding, handfasting, pairing etc then allowing the same sex union.

I'm not against same sex marriage at all, but it'd kinda shy away from the stigma of folks getting their underwear in a twist over marriage not being shown in a traditional (to them) light.

Personally I would love to see same sex unions, as one poster mentioned earlier; there are a lot of people who play characters that don't properly reflect their r/l gender, so to leave them out of something like this based on aesthetic choice wouldn't be cool.
    ^ Another option that would be a bit safer.

Personally, I thought marriages in FFXI were silly.. and a bit creepy... but that's just me.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 11-11-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Character
    Denmo Mcstronghuge
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    ^^ Understands the big picture.

When weighing the benefits and drawbacks to each side, they put far more at risk by adding it than leaving it out.
    What sort of risks, exactly? Many other largely successful games have already thrown GLTB relationships into their mix (ME3, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim...). I've yet to hear of a game that did poorly in sales because they allowed for same-sex relations in an imaginary world.
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Dharmathius Vananti
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Same sex marriage! It's a game, end of story. A man and women should have equal rights.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Edge Ralliare
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    You just want to be able to marry the Admaral leo!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Cerebold Law
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Denmo View Post
    What sort of risks, exactly? Many other largely successful games have already thrown GLTB relationships into their mix (ME3, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim...). I've yet to hear of a game that did poorly in sales because they allowed for same-sex relations in an imaginary world.
    They're all Western games. I'm all for gay marriage (everyone should be treated equal). However, this topic is a bit touchy in Japan. In a lot of places there it's just becoming kind of okay to be homosexual. In saying that, it becomes an issue if you're open or public about your homosexuality. Their number one audience is Japan, don't forget that. I mean sure, it's worldwide but if it was only to be released in one language, that would be Japanese. Wheras ME3, DA2 and Skyrim would be in English if they could only be in one language.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Well, for a start, the GLBT content in those games was largely player driven (it manifested if you pursued it), also the games were one-shot purchases. The company didn't depend on continuing revenue and many players might not have been fully aware of their content at time of purchase.

SE needs MANY people to keep playing, and paying for years, So it's in their best interest to appeal to the largest possible group of people.

I don't know of one person that would quit (or not start) FFXIV because there SE didn't put gay marriage in the game - do you?

On the other hand, I know several people who would likely never even try the game if they thought SE was using the game as an opportunity to throw their weight behind a hot-button political/cultural issue.

And then there's Japan and the Asian markets...
    (3)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 11-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Maybe the church of england will stop supporting the game/company or something equally unimportant.
    (5)

Page 3 of 181 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast