Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

English translation of Yoshida-san's letters is irritating

After translating the latest letter myself, I am quite bothered by the fact that the posted English translation of it is decidedly more obscure that what Yoshia himself wrote.

Some differences:

1) The term Easter isn't censored out of the Japanese letter (political correctness run amok?)
    2) The Easter-themed event is called "Egg Hunt" - This is an interesting detail, why is it not in the English letter??
    3) The "Japanese National Holiday" he references is Children's Day [こどもの日] - Not a big deal, but it's good to know.

I don't know about you, but I would prefer that the translator not obfuscate elements in Yoshida's letters in the future.
    (25)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 04-02-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Evangela Monterossa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    they still not mention any combat system fixing or another core system fix
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Etoile Kallera
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    The Twelve frown upon silly heathen holidays.

I think its to provide the impression that Yoshi is writing specifically to his audience. Also to cut down on the idea that the jp crowd get all the attention (you know, cause japanese people from japanese companies should never address things to the nation that speaks their language first... /sarcasm)

Thanks for pointing this out though, I'll gladly take giving the news to me over "feeling the news at me".
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nephera Habasi
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    After translating the latest letter myself, I am quite bothered by the fact that the posted English translation of it is decidedly more obscure that what Yoshia himself wrote.

Some differences:

1) Easter isn't quasi-censored out of his letter (political correctness run amok?)
    2) The Easter-themed event is called "Egg Hunt" - no surprise there, but why is it not in the English letter??
    3) The Japanese National Holiday he references is Children's Day [こどもの日] - I'll assume they will have an event for this next year.

I don't know about you, but I would prefer that the translator not obfuscate elements in Yoshida's letters in the future.
    I am mildly concerned by this development, do you know if this has been happening in other letters?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Think you are blowing things out of proportion here, but then there's no surprise when that happens on these forums.

I think we should be grateful we are getting letters from the producer at all.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Chezen Lightbreak
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I actually did note that, but the translator is also paid to bridge the gap with culture issues. He was being both politically correct, and acknowledging that not everyone is going to know what Children's day is.

/shrug
    (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Serio View Post
    Yoshi-P starts casting Sleepga IV on Yoshi-P.
    Yoshi-P is asleep.
    The Troll hits Yoshi-P for 9000 damage!
    Yoshi-P is no longer asleep!

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinko View Post
    I think we should be grateful we are getting letters from the producer at all.
    I fail to see how asking for a letter that isn't selectively edited by an English translator is somehow being ungrateful to the Producer himself. Rather, it shows that we want to read what he actually wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezen View Post
    I actually did note that, but the translator is also paid to bridge the gap with culture issues. He/She/It was being both politically correct, and acknowledging that not everyone is going to know what Children's day is.
    ^ fixed

My point is that we don't need someone shielding us from the dangers of the word 'Easter', or 'Egg Hunt' either for that matter. I just want the facts, and I believe it is unfair to the English readers to be treated condescendingly.

I'm just letting the English readers know that they aren't getting the full picture with this letter, and possibly others. For my part, I'll be reading the Japanese version from now on.
    (6)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 04-01-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Player
    Character
    Eisen Marduk
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Is knowing that Children's Day is coming up going to fix the game for you?

Chill out dude.
    (6)

Player
    more nhk conspiracies run amok.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Etoile Kallera
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilta_Firelotus View Post
    more nhk conspiracies run amok.
    Its the bells man!!

But seriously, even without the puns, there are thing getting lost in the translation, that should be addressed. We can let the puns be if we get our info.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast