Hybrid View

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90

Will Relics create the same problems that they did in FFXI?

SE made relics available very early on in FFXI's lifecycle in 2003. They were the top weapons until 2010 when abyssea came out and gave us Empyrean weapons some of which were better then relics.

Relics created an artificial ceiling on weapons in FFXI in that no weapon released in that 10 year time span could be better then a relic or have higher damage on it.

Now we have FFXIV they released relics early on as well. Are we going to see a repeat of what happened in FFXI where every new weapon that comes out has to be worse then relics? Or will we actually see them come out with new weapons that are better then relics?
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    I damn well hope so.

Relics have been a part of every FF game. 14 should be no different. The "ultimate weapons" take a lot of effort to acquire, and thus are, and should be, the best weapons available.

Don't go changing that now to appease casuals please. I LIKE earning my gear/weapons the hard way. The sense of accomplishment in 11 is why it is STILL going strong today.

There are always weapons that are similar, or very close in stats. Use those.
    (62)
    Last edited by DoctorMog; 11-09-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMog View Post
    I damn well hope so.

Relics have been a part of every FF game. 14 should be no different. The "ultimate weapons" take a lot of effort to acquire, and thus are, and should be, the best weapons available.

Don't go changing that now to appease casuals please. I LIKE earning my gear/weapons the hard way. The sense of accomplishment in 11 is why it is STILL going strong today.

There are always weapons that are similar, or very close in stats. Use those.
    You don't see a problem with I got this weapon it might of taken me 2 months to get and some work but now I am set for the rest of this MMOs lifespan?

To me in FFXI it was very boring how they never came out with better weapons to get after relics until abyssea.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    You don't see a problem with I got this weapon it might of taken me 2 months to get and some work but now I am set for the rest of this MMOs lifespan?

To me in FFXI it was very boring how they never came out with better weapons to get after relics until abyssea.
    I think the issue was that the level cap sat at 75 for so long. Had they raised level cap a bit sooner, and added the relic upgrade quest, there would have been no issue.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMog View Post
    I think the issue was that the level cap sat at 75 for so long. Had they raised level cap a bit sooner, and added the relic upgrade quest, there would have been no issue.
    This is the underlying problem to OPs concerns. At this point, they've introduced relics before they've even done a level cap increase. To make them worthwhile, there needs to be system in place to upgrade the relics when there are level cap increases, else this game is going to turn into WoW (some may argue it already has) with how gear becomes obsolete only after a few months.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Airget Lamh
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    If they have learned from XI in terms of the magian trials and I'm pretty sure they said it themselves, but later on the weapons themselves will be upgradeable so the aspect of no weapon being able to be stronger than relics shouldn't be an issue.

If anything one can hope that later on in the relic's life cycle they allow ways to make them more unique between players or perhaps the relics themselves can take on the form of another weapon. kind of like perhaps the Excalibur could be a relic that turns into a blade focused more on healing/dmg taken and another blade focused on offensive/healing with dmg dealt. It will be interesting to see how relics will evolve in the future or even how they may introduce new weaponry though there will definitely be a long time before we see anything like that.
    (0)

Mythics were better for certain situations, also the ToAU and WoTG jobs weren't attached to Relics. Empyreans aren't all better than relics either unless you took the time to get it to 99 and even then, chances are your relic WS aftermath was better.

Also, the first relic wasn't completed for a very long time after it's introduction simply because of the fact you were missing 2 key zones: Beaucidine and Xarcabard. Once those zones released, those who had the currency were able to get the final steps completed. So while it was introduced very early in the game's life, it took a long while for even the first one to pop out. In XIV once you get a relic you can get the rest very quickly so the relics of XIV are already casualized. Content design made it much longer than it would actually be on a well designed system.

So these aren't the ultimate weapons, they can't be..there's a good chance there will be real ultimate weapons if ARR ever gets off the ground.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Mythics were better for certain situations, also the ToAU and WoTG jobs weren't attached to Relics. Empyreans aren't all better than relics either unless you took the time to get it to 99 and even then, chances are your relic WS aftermath was better.

Also, the first relic wasn't completed for a very long time after it's introduction simply because of the fact you were missing 2 key zones: Beaucidine and Xarcabard. Once those zones released, those who had the currency were able to get the final steps completed. So while it was introduced very early in the game's life, it took a long while for even the first one to pop out. In XIV once you get a relic you can get the rest very quickly so the relics of XIV are already casualized. Content design made it much longer than it would actually be on a well designed system.

So these aren't the ultimate weapons, they can't be..there's a good chance there will be real ultimate weapons if ARR ever gets off the ground.
    Weather relic or empyrean was better varied from patch to patch. There was a major shift to relices becoming top again in the patch that added merit WS. However there are still some jobs where the empyrean is better, Sword, Great Ax, Hand to Hand, Gun. But when it comes to relics that are better Ragnarok >>>>>>>>> Caladbolg, Scythe. It went back and forth some to what was the best.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Queezy Fbaby
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

U coulda got a Mythic? or another relic. For one this so called comparing 14's relics to 11's relics is just dumb. You could not get every relic in a month even if u had the best of the best LS possible and exploited them to the fullest( at 75 cap). I knew of plenty of people who went from 0 "relics" to 4-5 in a matter of weeks in 14.

11 and 14 have two very different content levels and gear itemization. 11 gear grind was way harder then anything that has been and prolly will be implemented into 14. The mmo genre doesnt has been dumbed down way to much for people to accept a design like 11's. We got ppl who complain about having to do a week long quest to get a relic,now compare that to the endless dynamis runs u had to do or better yet to the mythic quest line since that was more quest based, people would have a fit.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Queezy View Post
    U coulda got a Mythic? or another relic. For one this so called comparing 14's relics to 11's relics is just dumb. You could not get every relic in a month even if u had the best of the best LS possible and exploited them to the fullest( at 75 cap). I knew of plenty of people who went from 0 "relics" to 4-5 in a matter of weeks in 14.

11 and 14 have two very different content levels and gear itemization. 11 gear grind was way harder then anything that has been and prolly will be implemented into 14. The mmo genre doesnt has been dumbed down way to much for people to accept a design like 11's. We got ppl who complain about having to do a week long quest to get a relic,now compare that to the endless dynamis runs u had to do or better yet to the mythic quest line since that was more quest based, people would have a fit.
    I thought getting a relic in FFXI was much more doable. You can work on it any time you wanted by farming gil. The thing is I knew people who played FFXI not so much for FFXIV. I did get relic in FFXI pre nerf I found it a lot easier to get one in FFXI then FFXIV. Due to the fact of not knowing anyone who really wanted to do stuff in FFXIV.
    (0)

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast