Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90

Will Relics create the same problems that they did in FFXI?

SE made relics available very early on in FFXI's lifecycle in 2003. They were the top weapons until 2010 when abyssea came out and gave us Empyrean weapons some of which were better then relics.

Relics created an artificial ceiling on weapons in FFXI in that no weapon released in that 10 year time span could be better then a relic or have higher damage on it.

Now we have FFXIV they released relics early on as well. Are we going to see a repeat of what happened in FFXI where every new weapon that comes out has to be worse then relics? Or will we actually see them come out with new weapons that are better then relics?
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    I damn well hope so.

Relics have been a part of every FF game. 14 should be no different. The "ultimate weapons" take a lot of effort to acquire, and thus are, and should be, the best weapons available.

Don't go changing that now to appease casuals please. I LIKE earning my gear/weapons the hard way. The sense of accomplishment in 11 is why it is STILL going strong today.

There are always weapons that are similar, or very close in stats. Use those.
    (62)
    Last edited by DoctorMog; 11-09-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Player
    Character
    Crevox Shadeseer
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    The "ultimate weapons" take a lot of effort to acquire,
    Not in this game.

Don't go changing that now to appease casuals please.
    And it wouldn't be to "appease casuals."
    (20)

Player
    Character
    Syntax Lies
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    i predict this: relics BIS til lvl cap increase, new primal weapons become BIS for awhile, then a new quest for relic upgrade is released and relics are BIS again.
    (20)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    Not in this game.

And it wouldn't be to "appease casuals."
    They are the hardest to acquire currently, still valid.

And how would you add a relic system in a FF title then where everyone could get one easily, and other weapons were potentially better?

I would love an example where that system you come up with would not only work, but people would still want to get the relic weapons, even if they aren't best in slot.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Indira Cliodhna
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    they need prerequisites back for doing everything like in FFXI. right now there no checks & balences just spaming stuff.
    even other games required you to get something to start working for things.

like FFXI bcnm you need beastmen seals then you have to buy a orb then you get to a burning circle.
    dynamis you buy a clock then have 1 hour to finsh then your locked out for 3 days.
    no prerequisites just means the game will dry up faster and give less things to do.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMog View Post
    I damn well hope so.

Relics have been a part of every FF game. 14 should be no different. The "ultimate weapons" take a lot of effort to acquire, and thus are, and should be, the best weapons available.

Don't go changing that now to appease casuals please. I LIKE earning my gear/weapons the hard way. The sense of accomplishment in 11 is why it is STILL going strong today.

There are always weapons that are similar, or very close in stats. Use those.
    You don't see a problem with I got this weapon it might of taken me 2 months to get and some work but now I am set for the rest of this MMOs lifespan?

To me in FFXI it was very boring how they never came out with better weapons to get after relics until abyssea.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    I hope the first weapons from the new lvl50 dungeon(s) directly replace relics!

Really tho, it would be stupid to make relics the BIS for as long as they did with XI. Would be nothing to aim for.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Syntax Lies
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMog View Post
    They are the hardest to acquire currently, still valid.

And how would you add a relic system in a FF title then where everyone could get one easily, and other weapons were potentially better?

I would love an example where that system you come up with would not only work, but people would still want to get the relic weapons, even if they aren't best in slot.
    he doesnt have one so his argument of not in this game is void

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    You don't see a problem with I got this weapon it might of taken me 2 months to get and some work but now I am set for the rest of this MMOs lifespan?

To me in FFXI it was very boring how they never came out with better weapons to get after relics until abyssea.
    a lvl 50 weapon will not last the whole game, they will ned to be upgraded
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post

I think the issue was that the level cap sat at 75 for so long. Had they raised level cap a bit sooner, and added the relic upgrade quest, there would have been no issue.
    (8)

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast