Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    I want the devs to bring purpose to obtaining different weapons, other than relics.
    Making other weapons (and armor) UNIQUE is what makes them situationally better than relics.

This is just my idea:
    Relics should have the best DPS, this might include adding accuracy, crit attack power, store TP... whatever. But they should be the all around winners.

Another set of weapons could have an effect on hit, stun, paralyze, slow, etc...

Another set of weapons could have beneficial effects to the wielder, Protect when using, HP on hit, MP on hit, etc...

Another set of weapons could be a part of a set that includes armor, Sets are great because they can be very "directional" Wearing Set A could give the best TP regen in the game. SET B might have the best Life on hit, C could have amazing accuracy etc... All of which, could be better than a relic in their respective "direction" but worse in others. The thing is, you need to be wearing the whole set to get the benefit. And the best TP regen weapon set in the game might have terrible accuracy for instance to balance things out.

Another weapon could have better "range" (Think extending weapons from Aion)

I can go on, but you see where I'm going. Relics should be your "go to" weapon in most situations IF you have one that is. What we need is more weapons with these unique properties that are max level. Everyone without a relic might have to do more weapon switching in different situations to achieve similar dps to a relic, but that is the benefit of the relic.

What happened to the dagger that had the added effect of provoke? Or a stun dagger? Why weren't these options at level 50? They should have been.
    (8)
    Last edited by DoctorMog; 11-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Player
    Character
    Cesil Rapture
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    In the PDF files and interviews Yoshida mentioned something about Legendary weapons. Like the Excalibur, Masamune and such. If those do ever come out I imagine they will replace relics? Either that or maybe they will add more and more quests to relics to upgrade them to Legendary weapons Who knows?

http://rainyautumnskies.wordpress.co...naoki-yoshida/

and here

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...Content_EN.pdf

I have no idea if this means they will be upgrading relics eventually or maybe new weapons entirely Interesting though either way !
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    There's a big thing you're missing. Between 2003 and 2010 what % of the FFXI player base owned a Relic Weapon. (even just 1)
    Relics have been in 14 for what, 8 months what % of the XIV player base owns them. (and in many cases several)

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    To me in FFXI it was very boring how they never came out with better weapons to get after relics until abyssea.
    Until Abyssea relics were so damn rare that it wasn't an issue. According to the 9th vana'diel census (the one before Abyssea there were 3,246 completed relics (of any type) across all worlds. (Click here for source)
    There were what 30 servers around back then so about 100 relic weapons per server.

The relic of XI was a whole different calibur to the relic we have in XIV. In XIV the current relics are Incredibly common place for something that's supposed to be a Relic. If I recall though Yoshi had said what we currently consider relic won't always be the best weapons, something considered relic now might not be relic at somepoint in the future. If you follow the PLD story there were 4 mighty swords forged or something. Maybe at somepoint there'll be a totally new "relic" quest for one of the other 3 swords and curtana may become obselete as a relic weapon.
    (6)
    Last edited by Dzian; 11-09-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Player
    Character
    Almalexia Indoril
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Based on the acquisition rate, I wouldn't be surprised if relics are outclassed by something else. Both upgrades and "not even relics are safe" have been mentioned.

I wonder whether the top of the heap will have room for more than one weapon at a time. In FFXI, they created alternatives to relic in the form of mythic/empyrean. We learned alternative doesn't always mean better.

In what ways can an alternative weapon compete with relic in FFXIV?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMog View Post
    No boss is harder than the Random Number Generator ; ;
    Or easier... for some
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aldebaron Phoenix
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    The relic quest in XIV is also evolving, they can easily put in a new tier (and I'm sure they will) to add new stats, higher DPS ect. They don't even have WS's yet!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Bladerunner Cofresi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Agreed with several posts. If it takes some gamers less than 6 months to obtain a relic for nearly every class, the relic quest is broken. The game needs longevity and working towards a relic should take time and effort. I think the current relics will be obsolete though when they raise the cap. I could see them having people turn in their current relics to begin a whole new quest line for the higher level "legendary" weapon if you will.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    To me in FFXI it was very boring how they never came out with better weapons to get after relics until abyssea.
    Mythics were better for certain situations, also the ToAU and WoTG jobs weren't attached to Relics. Empyreans aren't all better than relics either unless you took the time to get it to 99 and even then, chances are your relic WS aftermath was better.

Also, the first relic wasn't completed for a very long time after it's introduction simply because of the fact you were missing 2 key zones: Beaucidine and Xarcabard. Once those zones released, those who had the currency were able to get the final steps completed. So while it was introduced very early in the game's life, it took a long while for even the first one to pop out. In XIV once you get a relic you can get the rest very quickly so the relics of XIV are already casualized. Content design made it much longer than it would actually be on a well designed system.

So these aren't the ultimate weapons, they can't be..there's a good chance there will be real ultimate weapons if ARR ever gets off the ground.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Huginn Aesir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I predict new relics with different names for later in the game. I would also think that having the AF weapons currently in the game would either be a pre-requisite or would alleviate a major hurdle in the later quests. after all, there are many swords besides Curtana, Durandal, Joyeuse, Caladbolg and Excalibur.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zuenini Zueni
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    They should have a set of weapons that are always the best in game and are only obtainable by being the best of the best. This set, of course, would be obtainable only by being crowned champion in the PVP coliseum. Only one set will exist per server, or if the coliseum is actually cross server, make it one set for all the servers.

The tournament for this set would be held every few months and the reigning champion would have to defend his title. If the reigning champion doesn't enter the tournament, the weapons would be automatically relinquished from his possession and be given to the new champion.

Now some might say something like "I don't play PVP so it would be unfair to me since I would never get a chance to obtain these awesome weapons!" and you're absolutely right! I don't plan to play PVP myself either, but these weapons are supposed to be a mark of the status of the best in game. And what better way to determine the strongest adventurer than one-on-one duels on a server-wide or world-wide scale? Just as the Olympics commission would never award anyone a gold medal unless they participated and won spectacularly in the Olympic games no one should have these prized weapons unless they participated and won the PVP championship.

Others might ask "Why not just make it a crown or something to wear instead of such godly weapons?", well, to that I ask, what's the point of giving out an item to mark the best of the best that can barely be seen or isn't going to be regularly used? If these were clearly the best weapons in game, there would be more reason to actually use it and show it around rather than something brought out only occasionally to brag. Weapons are also probably the most eye catching equipment in the game and people will be able to tell at a glance that "Hey! That's the Champ!"

Now what about the time these events start? Well, seeing as how SE operates mostly in Japan time, naturally they would choose Japan prime time for administering these events but perhaps on a weekend so more people can participate. "But I don't play 24/7! How can I make time for these events??" Then clearly you aren't dedicated enough to be best of the best.

Those who go above and beyond to achieve in this game are the ones who we're trying to reward here. That means calling in sick and doing whatever else it takes to make time and show up for the games. If that's not something you're willing to do, then clearly you're too casual to be champion. But that's all right, not many people are dedicated enough to be the best. I'm not, and this really isn't about me or people who complain about exclusive content aimed for the hardcore. It's about recognizing the players that can be called the best in this game we love to play.

Feel free to add any thoughts or comments about this idea I'm sure many whether they enjoy PVP or not will have some cool ideas.
    (2)

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast