Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Eadieni Valefor
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Relics should always be the best weapon for their level range, and if the level cap is raised there should be quests to increase the power of the relics. Although with this, to prevent everyone from eventually having the same weapon, I think there should be graphical changes to them or even replacing the relic with stronger relics of a new name. Like Curtana going +1 and +2 and +3 and the at level 70 turning into Excalibur or something. Just an example.

Maybe add some particle effects to the relics after they are upgraded to 55 or 60 and weaponskills. I hated in FF11 seeing the same graphic for 7 years.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yolteotl Divinicus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    actually im not saying that I'm entitled to anything in particular. But if they haven't implemented anything to the level people are stating they want, there is a direct reason the company has chosen not to, and no I'm not gonna waste my time citing all the times SE has stated that the game is focused on casual play, because it has been stated repeatedly since before the 1st alpha had even been released over 2 1/2 years ago. whether Tanaka era or Yoshi-P, that's like having to cite examples of how the world isn't flat just because you haven't paid attention.

The point was, it's a game. And if you feel the dev's are completely ignoring a sector of the player base who want things even more 'challenging' by taking up severe amounts of time, you're probably right but doesn't mean they are going to stop ignoring it anytime soon as they still desire to build a strong casual base for ARR than to put in old-school oriented content that the casuals would never touch, and more resembles work than play.

TA as a leaderboard/achievement is irrelevant, just as the kill timers in FFXI were after an instance compared to the utility of TAs in the old format.

Your personal assumptions about myself are way misguided as well. I play the game consistently more than SE designed it for as well, but i don't complain about it. Instead i realize that people that over-play are an exception to the design concept (but maybe not an exception to the server community) and "just roll with it", still managing to enjoy the game by helping others instead of complaining, niche-forming, or needing something that makes me stand out that requires too much time from too many assets just to see any results for one person.

As long as content is updated consistently (as planned) and with relevance, the game can still offer plenty of material to keep players of any style occupied without putting in content that promotes Elitist egos by feeling superior to the have-nots. It's irrelevant to put in severe time-sinks if the delevopment team instead focuses on releasing relevant content. Severe time-sinks are put in to hope the players ignore the low pace at which new content is being put out.

And actually tying this in to the OP, alot of the reason why Relics stayed the top-tier weapon for 7 years in FFXI and other weapons were inferior for so long was BECAUSE of the fact that if someone DID obtain a Relic in FFXI it usually required around 2 years of a large number of assets to acquire at the time, so they didn't want to cheapen what took soo much 'time' but not necessarily challenging.
    (1)
    Last edited by Yolteotl; 11-11-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: yay typos lol. and a little clarity

Player
    Character
    Yolteotl Divinicus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Maybe add some particle effects to the relics after they are upgraded to 55 or 60 and weaponskills. I hated in FF11 seeing the same graphic for 7 years.
    Lol there is afterglow now in FFXI... fairly irrelevant in utility, but a major time-sink as some people are supposedly desiring out of FFXIV
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokien View Post
    I want stuff in game that I will never get,
    I have no objection to items I'll never own from difficult contents, but in XI things I never had included a dalmatica now over time my shell had on occassion got lucky and found kings unclaimed and killed them. So it fair to say my shell had the skill t take down niddhig and aspidodah.

The reason we never really owned these items was simply time. 21-24 hour windows 2-3 days on kings often at times where people are working etc. Thus difficulty was not the obstacle time was. and imo thats wrong.

If I'd never owned a dalmatica cos I simply wasn't skilled enough to kill Nidhogg I'd be fine with that. Gives me a reason to better myself. But to not own something simply cos I have to be at work during pop times is kinda bs. so yeah no objection to stuff being out of reach in terms of difficulty. it gives me a reason to improve myself. but to be out of reach simply from time. NO
    (1)
    Last edited by Dzian; 11-11-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolteotl View Post
    actually im not saying that I'm entitled to anything in particular. But if they haven't implemented anything to the level people are stating they want, there is a direct reason the company has chosen not to, and no I'm not gonna waste my time citing all the times SE has stated that the game is focused on casual play, because it has been stated repeatedly since before the 1st alpha had even been released over 2 1/2 years ago. whether Tanaka era or Yoshi-P, that's like having to cite examples of how the world isn't flat just because you haven't paid attention.
    Excuse me, but FFXIV post Yoshi-P is not held accountable by anything before that said by Tanaka. They even made a public announcement that the game was going to go by different standards and not be so casual oriented - this took place around the time they started making changes such as removing surplus/fatigue, adding gear options that are significantly tougher to get than at the time, and announcing such changes as not being able to start the game or progress in the story as a DoH/L and requiring a battle class to play the game.

If you pay any attention to the patterns in the progress of the game, and Yoshi-Ps design choices, he isn't focused on casual play. That is by no means a selling point for A Realm Reborn either. The idea he has in mind is casual accessibility - which is quite different than focus on casual play.

So, your arguments failed before they started.

PS: Casual friendly/accessibility does not mean making it so everyone can get everything. It goes without saying a casual player should not expect to achieve everything in an MMO. Not in a good one anyway.
    (2)
    Last edited by NoctisUmbra; 11-11-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Player
    Character
    Deepening Shadow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    I'm not gonna waste my time citing all the times SE has stated that the game is focused on casual play, because it has been stated repeatedly since before the 1st alpha had even been released over 2 1/2 years ago.
    Oh, you're talking about Tanaka, then. Well, you know, back then the game was also advertised as being designed around play casual enough that players could complete the entire storyline as a DoH/L. Obviously, things have changed, and there's a new producer in charge.

Matching Casual and Heavy Players

Online games have a hierarchy to them, or at least that’s what I like to call it. It’s often described using a pyramid, the width of the pyramid being representative of the number of players. At the peak are the hard-cores—the minority of players who completely immerse themselves in the game, playing day and night and often forgetting their biological imperatives. As you work your way down the pyramid, players become increasingly casual. It bears mentioning that this model illustrates the quantity of players only, not quality.

In the first generation of MMORPGs, the pyramids were skinny and tall. In the current generation, while I think the peak should still stay way up there, the slopes projecting down from it should be less extreme. What I want to make is a theme park where both casuals and hard-cores can exist and play together. That’s the minimum requirement I think a modern MMORPG should fulfill.

I hope you heavy gamers out there will hurry to clear the game’s latest contents. I hope you beat Ifrit before anyone else and get those new weapons. I hope other players will see you and want to do the same. I hope you try and clear the beastman strongholds with less than the maximum number of players. And I hope you post on the forums about all your accomplishments.

I hope you more casual players will enjoy traveling around Eorzea by chocobo and airship with your in-game and real-life friends while working your way up to end-game content like the Ifrit fight. By then, the battle strats will be worked out, and you’ll be able to fight at your own pace. There’s no need to rush. Both play styles have their place. Should the need arise, we’ll look into adjusting the level of difficulty, or introducing a system that lets you set it yourself.

For any given content, the difference in the amount of time players need to figure it out and get the loot will unavoidably vary.

Hard-core gamers are hard-core gamers because they are always leading the charge. Following close behind their trailblazing are the “mid-cores.” And then there’s the casual gamers making progress at their own pace.

To realize the ideal we have in place, we need a powerful matching system capable of connecting all of these players, whatever their rates of progression might be. We plan to study what other MMORPGs have achieved here, and make it one of our main tasks as we move forward, together with add-ons and the UI.

Speaking of the UI, we are well aware that there are still difficulties with the mouse/keyboard interface. I’m a mouse/keyboard man myself, so believe me when I say I plan to continue making both little and big improvements with global standards in mind.

The ideal we’ve put in place may be a bit up there, but we have every intention of achieving it, and will do everything in our power to do so.
    The point was, it's a game. And if you feel the dev's are completely ignoring a sector of the player base who want things even more challenging, you're probably right but doesn't mean they are going to stop ignoring it anytime soon as they still desire to build a strong casual base for ARR than to put in old-school oriented content that the casuals would never touch.
    But they aren't ignoring the hardcore players. The slow, upward slope of difficulty from Ifrit (Hard) to Rivenroad (Hard) is evidence that they care and they're listening. As broken as 1.0's engine is, the battle designer still tried to challenge himself to release content that was ever harder (and even posted to his defeat when it was cleared sooner than he thought).

My point is, they have to cater to both sides. They can't just release content too hard for 80% of the playerbase to complete or there simply won't be enough subscriptions to stay afloat; yet they also can't just make the game faceroll easy, lest the game become devoid of any real sense of accomplishment.

I see people who consider themselves hardcore players posting on the forums asking for equal parts of difficulty; we ask for content that's really fucking hard, that forces us to pull longer nights, and tests our strategy-forming abilities, but we also acknowledge that the game needs to have low level dungeons/drops/nms for casual players, and that's fine. I only ever see casual players posting threads whining and begging for primal weapons/DL/relic/White Ravens/etc to be handed to them, and demanding that the game cater to their needs and only their needs, whilst they mock hardcore players as sadists with no lives who overestimate their accomplishments.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Zdenka Vaera
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    Relics in 14 are not the same as relics in 11. Just because they have the same name doesn't mean they are the same thing.

They are hardly as good as 11's, take substantially less investment, and in rotation shouldn't always be the best. Giving them a unique WS would make them beyond overpowered due to how the games combo system works.

I assume something like this will happen:

L50 Relics are best ->
    Level Cap Raised ->
    New endgame content has weapons better than relic ->
    new relic quest add on -> Relics are best again ->
    new content comes out with weapons stronger than relics ->
    level cap ->
    new weapons from content better than the previous strongest ->
    -> new relic quest add on -> Relics are best again

etc etc etc etc unless Legend's are planned and are similar investment to XI Relics but preferably not a 100% gil investment.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fragile Stampede
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    theres nothing wrong with there being a top weapon that takes years to get. there is tons of other slots to gear up after you get that piece. hopefully they still find ways to make multiple pieces useful for every slot like in ffxi as well. the bad thing will be is if we get corny full sets that are gather-able in a few months and then your literally done with the game till new expansions come out like other cheesy piece of crap mmo's that keep coming out.

personally they should add gear like this for every slot, multiple pieces like this for every slot. make them for events that you don't have to do and are only good for those types of events so people don't feel like they have to do it. just like they seperate pvp and pve gear these days, add gear that is only good for say large scale events or crazy hardcore stuff.
    (0)
    Last edited by strallaalaa; 11-11-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Player
    Character
    Yolteotl Divinicus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by NoctisUmbra View Post
    If you pay any attention to the patterns in the progress of the game, and Yoshi-Ps design choices, he isn't focused on casual play. That is by no means a selling point for A Realm Reborn either. The idea he has in mind is casual accessibility - which is quite different than focus on casual play.

So, your arguments failed before they started.
    Inorite? Like the removal of TA loot mandates, the implementation of quest based leveling, the fact that you all are still searching for something that will make u feel Elite, etc...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Inorite? Like the removal of TA loot mandates, the implementation of quest based leveling, the fact that you all are still searching for something that will make u feel Elite, etc...
    /sigh... and this is where I conclude that you are not worth my time.

Yes. Feel free to take that as some elitist cliche response as I'm sure you will.
    (2)

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast