Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

How the series should be referenced in ARR.

How would you like old FF's to be referenced? Personally I'm hugely against in your face references to characters or places that have no logical place on Hydalen.

One reference I really like is:

The Onion Doublet Set [FFIII counterpart]

Notice how this set references the original armour heavily? (here's a more recent iteration if you're not convinced)

This is how I want all armour to be referenced in ARR. It's not OTT, it has a logical place in the XIV lore and it's been made to fit into the aesthetic views of XIV, making it feel like it's supposed to be there.

If a player who has never experienced the series can't see that a certain set of armour is looking significantly weird, compared to rest then I think that SE has done a good job.

There's a couple of other references I enjoy like the whole Sephiroth/mocking name reference. too.

There's already a number of other references to VII.

So how do you think XIV should reference the older games?
    (5)

Character
    Rex Xylon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolf View Post

There's a couple of other references I enjoy like the whole Sephiroth/mocking name reference. too.

Wait...what is that NPC talking about in the sepiroth reference? Is he actually referencing player names? It's weird that he'd include those x's in there. Unless this is just an easter egg from Square that's poking fun at all of the versions of the name "Sephiroth" people make so they can just have that name.
    (1)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Wait...what is that NPC talking about in the sepiroth reference? Is he actually referencing player names? It's weird that he'd include those x's in there. Unless this is just an easter egg from Square that's poking fun at all of the versions of the name "Sephiroth" people make so they can just have that name.
    He's referencing the fact that there were so many variations of Sephiroth and other FF names in XI and XIV I believe.

Adding the XxX was a pretty solid clue to that, and the fact that he says that "So many adventurers have similar names"
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Mica Zerrshia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I like how the called back the Rydia look as I call it with the draping sleeves in games like X, would love to see a more elegant Rydia-esk smn in xiv than the rediculous xmas elf version in xi

(1)
    Last edited by MicahZerrshia; 11-08-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    The NPC was a one of the ones that you meet during faction levequests. It was always funny to hear.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Majidah Sihaam
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolf View Post
    How would you like old FF's to be referenced? Personally I'm hugely against in your face references to characters or places that have no logical place on Hydalen.

One reference I really like is:

The Onion Doublet Set [FFIII counterpart]

Notice how this set references the original armour heavily? (here's a more recent iteration if you're not convinced)

This is how I want all armour to be referenced in ARR. It's not OTT, it has a logical place in the XIV lore and it's been made to fit into the aesthetic views of XIV, making it feel like it's supposed to be there.

If a player who has never experienced the series can't see that a certain set of armour is looking significantly weird, compared to rest then I think that SE has done a good job.

that isnt the full onion set. here, googled it up
    (1)

Character
    Rex Xylon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Majidah View Post
    It upsets me that I didn't get my Union helm because my code went to my discontinued Beta account. As did my Asuran arm guards.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I share the same beliefs as you Ingolf. I like indirect references to the previous games, like the Sephiroth thing you mentioned. I don't want to see characters like Cloud and Sephiroth and other main characters from the former games appear though. They really have no place in this game. Locations like the Gold Saucer I'm ok with if they choose to use that name as long as it fits the lore of this game.
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Majidah View Post
    Well the problem is that the helmet isn't at all within the aesthetic scope of XIV. That's why I chose to omit it.

It's just a reference for the sake of it.

I mean it fits more now I guess, but at the beginning of XIV we had very drab colours of brown and black, cream and grey. And then suddenly LOL HUGE BLUE HELMET WITH MASSIVE FEATHERS
    (0)
    Last edited by Ingolf; 11-09-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    I share the same beliefs as you Ingolf. I like indirect references to the previous games, like the Sephiroth thing you mentioned. I don't want to see characters like Cloud and Sephiroth and other main characters from the former games appear though. They really have no place in this game. Locations like the Gold Saucer I'm ok with if they choose to use that name as long as it fits the lore of this game.
    Yeah, the name "Golden saucer" is cool. I'd like it to actually be similar, and maybe be in Garlemald to suit a more technologically advanced area.

I'll be upset if Cloud appears, but I won't be upset if someone references a "Spiky haired fella' with a huge sword"
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast