Character
    Chie Kaisuri
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    Good evening!

We know the lack of administration features for linkshells was a major concern in version 1.0. In A Realm Reborn linkshells will focus mostly on being a way to chat with friends and Free Companies will have the features that players have been requesting for linkshells.

It will be possible to remove members and change authority levels even if the Free Company members are not logged in. We are also looking into a feature where leadership will be passed to another member of the Free Company if the leader does not log in for a certain period of time.
    This is excellent news! Now I have no worries about a flooded linkshell full of inactives and I know my shell would be in good hands if I were inactive for too long for whatever reason!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kerin Kor
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Good evening!

We know the lack of administration features for linkshells was a major concern in version 1.0. In A Realm Reborn linkshells will focus mostly on being a way to chat with friends and Free Companies will have the features that players have been requesting for linkshells.

It will be possible to remove members and change authority levels even if the Free Company members are not logged in. We are also looking into a feature where leadership will be passed to another member of the Free Company if the leader does not log in for a certain period of time.
    So, am I understanding this correctly? It seems obvious I am, your words are clear, but I'm appalled if this is really SE's intention given your never-ending talking about 'community'.

In ARR Linkshells cease to be the main focus of one's social and playing 'community', where one's 'friends' are often thought to be, and shells become nothing more than chat channels?

So small linkshells of close friends have no place in ARR, and will receive none of the features so badly missing in 1.0?

Really?

For me, Free Companies are simply a commercial enterprise, an in-game mechanic for leveling and general progression, a million miles from a linkshell where one interacts with friends and do things with them.

In some ways I see FCs as the equivalent of 'Dynamis shells', 'Sky shells', etc., which one equipped for specific progression events before returning to one's real 'friends' in your 'real' shell.

Seems the concept of a 'social linkshell' is dead if mechanically linkshells in 2.0 are going to be left in the pitiful state they were in 1.0.
    (3)
    Last edited by Kraggy; 01-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Player
    Character
    Yolteotl Divinicus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    If you don't want to envision your Free Company as something that you and close friends share, it is your own choice. It only takes 4 people to make a Free Company and they have yet to say any population caps on Free Company Alliances.

Linkshells being strictly chat channels has been stated for quite some time for ARR, and in all honesty it's all they ever were in FFXi or FFXIV 1.0 (only variance being better but still poor management options in XI and a header).
    (3)

Player

Good evening!

This seems only to cover Free Companies, will the same also apply to L.S.
    (1)
    Last edited by 3Jane; 01-18-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kai Zoku
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    im all for these ideas, 1.0 was flawed in the LS department, Linkshells that are very active and open to all kinds of players, new or old, would fill up eventually, then u get something like 25+ people who arnt as interested in the game or invested time in it, offline, now you've got to break the shell send invites to active members and start inviting new people, those type of linkshells had it bad that way,

im hoping ARR would be an improvement in that aspect of the game. amongst others

U.U)-b
    (2)
    / (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Щ(ºДºщ);

Player
    Character
    Evangelus Seed
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Good evening!

Question : when we create a free company "A", we need to also create a linkshell "A" to chat?
    (2)
    Rédacteur sur JeuxOnline FFXIV : http://ffxiv.jeuxonline.info/
    Twitter : https://twitter.com/JOL_FFXIV

Player
    Character
    Colino Nyea
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombah View Post
    Will we be getting a feature like /lmes?
    Probably not since they're pushing it as a simple tool for chatting. I would guess they'll have a message of the day feature for FCs though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sorel Evans
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 38
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelus View Post
    Question : when we create a free company "A", we need to also create a linkshell "A" to chat?
    Good question, Evangelus. To follow up ... if we need to create a linkshell for a free company to communicate with, when we remove a member from the free company, how do we remove them from the linkshell? It doesn't seem correct to have a former member be able to clog up the communication. Does every member of the free company have to blacklist that former member now to prevent it?? That seems onerous.

Further clarification would be greatly appreciated. I know this may seem trivial in the whole MMORPG development pie, but the linkshell (not the party) is the basic unit of social cohesiveness in both FFXI and FFXIV. Membership control is the first function of ANY social group. It has to work correctly from the very beginning.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Valentino Amore
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorel View Post
    Good question, Evangelus. To follow up ... if we need to create a linkshell for a free company to communicate with, when we remove a member from the free company, how do we remove them from the linkshell? It doesn't seem correct to have a former member be able to clog up the communication. Does every member of the free company have to blacklist that former member now to prevent it?? That seems onerous.

Further clarification would be greatly appreciated. I know this may seem trivial in the whole MMORPG development pie, but the linkshell (not the party) is the basic unit of social cohesiveness in both FFXI and FFXIV. Membership control is the first function of ANY social group. It has to work correctly from the very beginning.
    I would like to 'third' this question. Will free companies have their own separate way of communicating/chatting?

The way i read it makes it seem like the linkshell functions will be the same as they were in 1.0. So if there are inactive members, or people that a leader would like to remove, it will be impossible to do unless that person and the leader are logged in at the same time. If free companies have to use linkshells for text based communication, then if someone that needs to be removed from the free company/linkshell is unable to be ... that could cause trouble.

I would also love some clarification on this. pleasey
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Temisu Namisu
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Good evening!

There needs to be some basic functions given to linkshells. I don't care much about them becoming simply direct chat channels (that's all they are in XI), but removing members is a must. Really, the same function that FFXI's linkshells have would be sufficient for the intended purposes.
    (1)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast