Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecylee View Post
    Ah yeah, the rewording made what you were actually asking a bit more clear. I haven't really thought about it too much, since I just assumed that was an echo vision/jump way back when. On the other hand the opening cutscene when you start up the game is a vision of what's taking place right now, so... your guess seems reasonable enough, considering the circumstances are similar.
    somewhat wish they put more stuff about the echo i hoping 2.0 goes more into that and maybe it explain what happen in that video.
    (1)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    i'm guessing they just did not like parting together anymore.
    And that's where we back ourselves into another corner - MAYBE. If they stopped partying together, they started back up again at some point, because the AG Party is back in the new Realm Reborn ad, as well! The miqo'te is now a Bard, and if you pause it at EXACTLY the right time, you can see the male elezen's grumpus face sticking out of that BLM outfit.

However, that doesn't mean you're not right - if there's any reason to put aside your old gripes and fight together again... it's... you know - The Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    somewhat wish they put more stuff about the echo i hoping 2.0 goes more into that and maybe it explain what happen in that video.
    I recall Yoshida-san saying explicitly to not worry about that one - that they will be coming back around to every old plot point again. The City-Specific Scenario (being a patriot and solving town problems) and Main Scenario (heeding Siren's call and mastering The Echo) were literally on pause to deal with The Seventh Umbral Era Storyline.

Now, Darnus has been defeated (for now (?)), the Grand Companies are reformed, and the Eorzean Alliance reforged - it's time to take the fight back to Gaius and save our hometowns. There's plenty more Echo to go - we don't even have in-game proof positive that Siren is the primal for The Woken yet.
    (1)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    I have a feeling this is going to come down to the following explanation:

This is a trailer for an MMO. Their goal is to showcase some of the mechanics, and some of the story, in a bite-size CG video. Be sure to show off all the races! We have two of 'em here in the inn, so lets have the other races out on the battlefield! To hell with continuity, what looks cool? Guildleves! OK! The Echo! OK! Battle! OK! Battle Regimens! OK! A flaming Malboro as the result of all this!? Hell yeah! But what will they do about the flaming Malboro? We're done showing off combat. I dunno, hit it with an airship or something and move onto the next scene. The instigating event that corrupted Mor Dhona! OK! Random picture of the battle party at the edge of Silvertear Falls! Sure!

--- skip ahead to 2.0 trailer --

Hey guys, we have to make another trailer! You artists ready to make a whole new CG-calibur 3D mesh and/or texture of every race so people don't get confused and think they're the same people? NO THANKS! Ok, we'll just reuse the same models, no one will care but Anonymoose, right?

tl;dr version: You're thinking way too hard about something that likely wasn't meant to be thought about. The first trailer on its own already has some flaws, so trying to link the two is crazy business.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raldo; 11-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Hey guys!

My lips have been sealed by animal glue, my hands bound by mole sinew. I am able to type this message with my left ear, only because they forgot to bolt my usbwyyjungwfzi7o3n42375fo5732sf3qafs3fq3. Argghh! Damn left ear!

I'll come back after 11/11...
    (33)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    You're thinking way too hard about something that likely wasn't meant to be thought about. The first trailer on its own already has some flaws, so trying to link the two is crazy business.
    EDIT: Then why did they gag-order our poor voidsent!? *n*

Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    I'll come back after 11/11...
    Look forward to hearing from you, Ferne; thanks for popping in to keep us on our toes until then! I'll be as patient as a lalafell gets until then... [reaches for the Rolanberry 1450]

OP Just in Case

That's entirely possible - though, looking back at FFXI, you never know.

Remember, these aren't just trailers. The contents of the first trailers ended up being from our current official opening cinematic. I'm willing to bet that the new trailers for ARR are the same thing - part of the official game, either the End of the World cinematic or ARR's opening (maybe they're the same?)

As for meaning, remember FFXI's opening movie? Random child escapes from beastman invasion of nonexistent town? Took until LV45 to see Aldo again the first time, and then expansion packs later we finally learn his story and even visit the city he escaped from - but it all meshed. It was Tavnazia's history the same way we're seeing Mor Dhona's history now.

I'm hoping that it wouldn't be a mistake of me to assume they put the same care and intent into it 10 years later.

But, again, you could very well be right, lol.
    (1)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 11-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Took until LV45 to see Aldo again the first time, and then expansion packs later we finally learn his story and even visit the city he escaped from - but it all meshed. It was Tavnazia's history the same way we're seeing Mor Dhona's history now.
    Did Aldo ever lead (or even participate in) an army to return to Tavnazia as shown at the end of the trailer? There's very little to pick apart in the XI trailer, as it's all depicting a single event, and yet I can still find one apparent flaw if I look hard enough. I suppose you could argue that it was a large convoy bringing supplies to Tavnazia after you discover it if you really wanted to stretch things.

Very intrigued by Ferne's post as well, so I guess we'll see.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raldo; 11-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Player
    Character
    Vai Greystone
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    "You're thinking way too hard about something that likely wasn't meant to be thought about."

These are basically the most famous last words ever, ever, anywhere, ever, when it comes to FFXI or FFXIV. >_>

Also Moose I love you you're my hero.
    (6)
    7UP!

Player
    Character
    Rogue Muse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    In my opinion, the opening trailer was an echo to a real event in the past.
    The Echo is a mysterious power which causes the souls of those touched by it to resonate with others. Of that power is born the ability to relive the other person's past experiences -- to see and feel them as though they were one's own.
    I think in this case the levequest tile that the midlander picks up was a duty to kill a marlboro that was previously used/completed by a group 10-15 years ago with one of the 4 party members having the ability to Echo. When the midlander, also with the Echo ability picks it up, his soul links to the soul of the 4th party member and he is mentally warped back to the time of the 1st party and is reliving the events inside his body (we see our midlander's face, but the party members see who they think he is). This explains why he changes from a Gladiator to an Archer.

The battle progresses and then comes the part when he is scooped up and gets flown to the battle of the Garleans vs Midgardsomr. When the ship crashes into the lake in Mor Dhona, it releases/explodes a vein of aether which disrupts the aetheric veil and allows the Primals access to this world (you see Ifrit and Titan being released amongst others). Then the 4th party member falls (and I presume he dies) still with the tile on him, which is later recovered from his corpse and repurposed in the Adventurer's guild, waiting Echo-sensitive players to touch it and relive his last days.

In the new trailer he is a Warrior (cause lets face it, for a long time Marauder/Warrior was a better tank) and the Miqote from his current party is there as a bard. The Elezen lancer could possibly be the blackmage. However while the green skinned roegadyn is similar, as with the lalafel whm, the female elezen gladiator isn't there, so I don't think it is the same party, just similar looking people. I mean 10-15 years is a fair amount of time. The adventurers from the echo may have retired.

-----

However, I have debated this with my lsmates a bit as in our main scenario Echos we have not changed class or become someone else. Also we had discussions on wether or not echos were real in the sense that you conversing with someone in a echo to the past would change the circumstances in the future, but most of our talks were inconclusive.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Did Aldo ever lead (or even participate in) an army to return to Tavnazia as shown at the end of the trailer?
    That's a good question, really...

The character leading the allied forces in the end of the cinematic has the same color hair as Aldo, and I think a lot of us assumed they were one in the same. However, it would be strange if he were both the leader of the Tenshodo, a nonviolent guy in distinct robes AND a warrior leading the allied forces of Eorzea. It probably wouldn't be a retcon considering Aldo was in the initial release (Mission 4-1), so I'd guess it's supposed to be the player.

That's one of the things that has me interested for the truth about midlander guy, here. Is he a proxy for the player... or is he, like Aldo, a more important part of Eorzea's story that we're just not aware of yet...

I was hoping to get a Tumblr going with the lore for 1.0 leading into ARR that I could use as a waterfall blog of 2.0 - but as you can see I didn't even make it past the cinematic XD

Quote Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
    Also Moose I love you you're my hero.
    /blush
    /wait 1
    /item "Glass of Rolanberry 1450" <Teakwood>
    (0)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 11-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    EDIT: Damn! I quoted myself instead of editing my own post again.

THE SHAME. IT BURNS.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnesium02 View Post
    <snip>
    You put forth a very reasonable version of the Echo possibility, and one of the two scenarios it made sense to me to be. You're right - the Roegadyn/Lalafell could be different from but similar to the 10 Years Ago Party - afterall, the elezen female is missing, it seems.

The only reason I put that thought aside in my initial post was that they seemed to be portrayed in exactly the same way - the blonde lalafell throwing up a protect shield as the roegadyn stood firm. It seemed like a way of saying that they'd all come full circle. In fact, I took a good long look at their haircuts in each video before deciding I felt comfortable saying they were the same.

Now that I know I'm not the only one with reservations...
    I guess I should take a few minutes and look closer at the two.

EDIT: Okay, done!
    Interestingly, the Roe has aged more than any of them (maybe the Miqo, too) - but aside form that they're all a 100% match. Lalafell is a blonde mage with pigtails held by black ribbons, roe is a green skinned scrunchy face with a long mohawk, miqo is tanned with three white lines for tattoos, and the elezen male, while totally obscured in his blm outfit, is still a total grumpus.

Elezen female AWOL.

---------

I found where the gladiator version of The Battle of Silvertear Falls came from.
    It's the Teaser from E2 2009

Based on the comparative aging, we can see again some evidence for an echo-jump.

We know two things for sure - he's not seeing the events of the roegadyn, lalafell, or elezen female because we know that none of them witnessed the sky battle from a Juggernaut or saw the primals explode from Midgardsormr. We also know that this is the first time he's witnessing these events, so he didn't know them previously.

This implies that the archer was a fourth friend - one who died in the skydive and, as Mag said, left his echo on the guildleve. However, this seems to be a direct contradiction of the images of the midlander, as a gladiator, with the 10 Years Ago Party in pre-collapsed Mor Dhona.

Perhaps he sought them out after learning of them via the echo-jump but before Mor Dhona had completely degraded to its current state? Perhaps the AG Party is meeting somewhere between 1562 and 1572? You'd think the crashed ship would be in those screens...

ARGH.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 11-02-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    – Y'shtola

Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast