Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    At no point does the aoe circle say when to cast. It does not tell you when to do anything.

EXACTLY like hp mp and cooldown timers (being visible timers I mean). You may not like aoe circles but saying their spoon feeding you information opens your argument up for ridicule - as under similar situations is also many other pieces of information.
    It tells you when to cast that AoE when the unwanted mobs are out of the circle.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmonte View Post
    It tells you when to cast that AoE when the unwanted mobs are out of the circle.
    If you consider that telling you when to do something then take this example:

Casting blizzara - 200 mp, 10 second cooldown.

Your mp is telling you how many/how many more blizzaras you can cast now
    Your cooldown timer is telling you when to cast it again
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    If you consider that telling you when to do something then take this example:

Casting blizzara - 200 mp, 10 second cooldown.

Your mp is telling you how many/how many more blizzaras you can cast now
    Your cooldown timer is telling you when to cast it again
    you list a game mechanic as your defense, against Skillful manipulation of ability's being striped away. Whatever it takes to be right on a forum.

You want it. i dont.
    end topic.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmonte View Post
    you list a game mechanic as your defense, against Skillful manipulation of ability's being striped away. Whatever it takes to be right on a forum.

You want it. i dont.
    end topic.
    Either way there is skill opportunities, not just the invisible way.

(I dont disagree that knowing the invisible areas is a skill - but on the flip side there are also new tactics to consider for both player and developer designs when you can see/place aoes)
    (2)
    Last edited by Shougun; 10-30-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kio Solais
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    I vaguely recall an official response stating that magic glyphs would appear when casting spells to show the range of the spell, however, I've not seen it in any recent media or heard about it since.

I hope this concept wasn't dropped as it sounded really cool and helpful.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Charmin Yummyberry
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    I appreciate the effort and thought you put into this not just by proposing the idea, even in the face of an uncertain UI/spell structure in ARR but because of the graphics overlay to help convey your thoughts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vai Greystone
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Please Twelve yes. Never used to have trouble targeting AoEs in XI - especially not with distance plugin >> - but I do with FFXIV something fierce.
    (1)
    7UP!

Player
    Character
    Tetsaru Arigashi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    I'd also love to see some AOE markers to see where our moves are going to land.

While they're at it, they also need to make it to where we can cast AOE spells without requiring a specific target. I've encountered many times where, in parties with a lot of BLM's, we need to nuke a bunch of enemies quickly, and the enemy I'm targeting ends up dying first before I can get my spell off to hit all the other enemies, and the spell ends up fizzling and I have to start casting all over again... it's SOOO STUPID. Moves like Flare, Holy, Blizzara... hell, even Steel Cyclone let you use them without requiring a target; why not all the other AOE moves?

Finally, they need to bring back the toggle AOE function, I missed that. What if we end up having to fight a bunch of monsters that can absorb fire and ice damage? Sure would be nice to AOE Thunder them instead somehow...
    (2)

The spells and WS you listed are AoE centering around you. Fire/Fira etc are spells targeting an enemy.

Finally, they need to bring back the toggle AOE function, I missed that. What if we end up having to fight a bunch of monsters that can absorb fire and ice damage?
    In SE's quest to make this a generic MMO, you won't ever have to worry about this lol, especially since they did it in FFXI and we know how well XI concepts fly around these parts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tetsaru Arigashi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    The spells and WS you listed are AoE centering around you. Fire/Fira etc are spells targeting an enemy.
    I don't see why that should make a difference. Moves like Fire, Fira, etc. and moves like Flare and Holy are still both hostile actions. Similarly, moves like PLD's Rampart and WHM's Protect should also get the same treatment. Whether you're targeting something specific or hitting things surrounding you shouldn't matter.

I should be able to mouse over a patch of dirt in Thanalan where there's a bunch of Coblyns and see a big circle where I can accurately place my AOE spell to nuke the crap out of ALL of them without specifically centering it on a specific one and possibly leaving another one or two of them out of range.

Similarly, if there's a bunch of mobs chasing us down a hallway, it'd be nice to be able to aim my spell in the middle of the hallway, taking up the entire width of it, and with some skill, time it just right so that it goes off right when the mobs run over it, instead of constantly seeing that annoying "The target is out of range" message over and over as they close in.
    (1)
    Last edited by Tetsaru; 10-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast