Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmonte View Post
    No keep that shit away, tired of people and there hold my hand syndrom. Knowing the radius of your AoE skills is part of being proficient at your Class & Job. if you cant figure out after hours of playing White mage and Black Mage where your AoE's Falloff then you suck, just plain and simple.
    Should also remove the hp and mp bars because if you dont know where your hp is at you also suck. Oh and cooldown counters? Get rid of them, in fact get rid of the whole skill bar - all the better.

Being facetious because you said anybody that wants an aoe UI sucks.
    (8)
    Last edited by Shougun; 10-30-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    expert mode ftw lol
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    Should also remove the hp and mp bars because if you dont know where your hp is at you also suck. Oh and cooldown counters? Get rid of them, in fact get rid of the whole skill bar - all the better.

Being facetious because you said anybody that wants a UI sucks.

now your just being stupid.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    now your just being stupid.
    As I believe you are for posting just this.

UI is designed to help us, all the OP wants is a feature to better manage their skill - a skilled player can play better with this. It doesnt turn the game into easy mode - it allows game play to require higher skill because it is better learn able and therefore better expected.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    As I believe you are for posting just this.

UI is designed to help us, all the OP wants is a feature to better manage their skill - a skilled player can play better with this. It doesnt turn the game into easy mode - it allows game play to require higher skill because it is better learn able and therefore better expected.
    the OP want spoon fed where his AoE is going to land. something you can do right now with enough skill and practice in your class therefor skilled player doesn't need this.

Wants wanted is clear no Learning Curve at all and im 100% against this.
    (1)
    Last edited by Valmonte; 10-30-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Player
    Character
    Alec Temet
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70

Being facetious because you said anybody that wants an aoe UI sucks.
    I hate to jump to Valmonte's defense, especially given his post was entirely negative and not in the least constructive; but there is a bit of personal preference to be noted here. Pride is a strong motivator, and being able to just barely clip that group when a less experienced BLM could not have is extremely satisfying. On the other hand, having to just guess how wounded you are is purely frustrating.

A better comparison would be between this and the Enmity meter. Both are replacements for the player's judgment ability when accomplishing their job, while not strictly being associated with life or death. Personally, I prefer leaving it up to the player to learn by experience, rather than explicitly shown to them. On the other hand, as I have noted previously, I don't think having these helping hands is a game breaking utility.

This is getting a little into the darker side of MMO psychology, but the more attached to a character players are, the more likely they are to continue playing. Collecting valuable items is one part, but pride in skills learned is an equally strong component, and should not be so easily dismissed.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    the OP want spoon fed where his AoE is going to land. something you can do right now with enough skill and practice in your class
    It is also possible to calculate all the damage done and mp spent, and remember the cooldown timers. Is that being spoon fed? I believe whatever you want to call it "spoon fed" it doesnt matter because it is already in the game - you should be playing another game as the spoon feeding will not end.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Shiven Casull
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulan View Post
    I hate to jump to Valmonte's defense, especially given his post was entirely negative and not in the least constructive; but there is a bit of personal preference to be noted here. Pride is a strong motivator, and being able to just barely clip that group when a less experienced BLM could not have is extremely satisfying. On the other hand, having to just guess how wounded you are is purely frustrating.

A better comparison would be between this and the Enmity meter. Both are replacements for the player's judgment ability when accomplishing their job, while not strictly being associated with life or death. Personally, I prefer leaving it up to the player to learn by experience, rather than explicitly shown to them. On the other hand, as I have noted previously, I don't think having these helping hands is a game breaking utility.

This is getting a little into the darker side of MMO psychology, but the more attached to a character players are, the more likely they are to continue playing. Collecting valuable items is one part, but pride in skills learned is an equally strong component, and should not be so easily dismissed.
    I agree to a point. We should avoid addons which tell you "when" to do something, that's pretty much telling you how to play.

Having a targeting assist for AOE spells opens up lots of other benefits, such as ground cast AOE (pre-casting an AOE to hit a moving target) or putting magic effects down (barriers, setting an area on fire etc.)

Edit: And fluff wise, wouldn't a mage capable of summoning giant fireballs be able to control how large of an effect he/she wants? :P
    (1)
    Last edited by ShivenCasull; 10-30-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    It is also possible to calculate all the damage done and mp spent, and remember the cooldown timers. Is that being spoon fed? I believe whatever you want to call it "spoon fed" it doesnt matter because it is already in the game - you should be playing another game as the spoon feeding will not end.
    What I'm arguing and what your arguing are two different things, MP HP all that shit is in a constant Flux its ok to be able to review that information, its not ok For Spoonfeed Me to come and have to learn absolutely nothing about the game because he's being told exactly what do do. thats what i don't want.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    What I'm arguing and what your arguing are two different things, MP HP all that shit is in a constant Flux its ok to be able to review that information, its not ok For Spoonfeed Me to come and have to learn absolutely nothing about the game because he's being told exactly what do do. thats what i don't want.
    At no point does the aoe circle say when to cast. It does not tell you when to do anything.

EXACTLY like hp mp and cooldown timers (being visible timers I mean). You may not like aoe circles but saying their spoon feeding you information opens your argument up for ridicule - as under similar situations is also many other pieces of information.
    (3)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast