Character
    Psy Kotsu
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidonoidon_Sur View Post
    Any mention of dodge ala GW2?
    This would be a cool feature of course. But you might receive backlash from those who don't want it to be an action game or people saying that "if you're good, you won't need this feature" lol.

But I fully support this.
    (0)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Happy Friday everyone!

In A Realm Reborn we will be implementing a system for raid dungeon bosses and other big baddies where an AoE range display will be shown as they are charging up to perform their attacks, and after a couple of seconds everything in range will be hit (hint: MOVE!). Similar to the suggestions in this thread, it is very possible to have the same kind of system for players in the future, so the development team will keep this in mind.

As an aside, in A Realm Reborn the buffing range is extremely wide and has been set to 40m, so if you are in a dungeon you will be able to cast the spells on all party members easily, so no more players getting out of range of Stoneskin and other enhancements
    Sweet. For me this is mostly an issue with offensive AoEs, such that the caster doesn't accidentally hit enemies they didn't mean to hit with their spell.

What would be EVEN MORE awesome is if we could target an area of ground with AoEs instead of requiring them to be centered on a target. This of course would make the targeting radius even more importent.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Psykotsu View Post
    This would be a cool feature of course. But you might receive backlash from those who don't want it to be an action game or people saying that "if you're good, you won't need this feature" lol.

But I fully support this.
    Well Yoshi did say he has no intention on turning this into an action game lol.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Psy Kotsu
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Well Yoshi did say he has no intention on turning this into an action game lol.
    Yea, I remember that. Something they're holding on to for their next mmo I bet.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Happy Friday everyone!

In A Realm Reborn we will be implementing a system for raid dungeon bosses and other big baddies where an AoE range display will be shown as they are charging up to perform their attacks, and after a couple of seconds everything in range will be hit (hint: MOVE!). Similar to the suggestions in this thread, it is very possible to have the same kind of system for players in the future, so the development team will keep this in mind.

As an aside, in A Realm Reborn the buffing range is extremely wide and has been set to 40m, so if you are in a dungeon you will be able to cast the spells on all party members easily, so no more players getting out of range of Stoneskin and other enhancements
    What's that in yalms?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jullias Ondore
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Woot, I'm excited about this I was gonna mention the Raid boss hint system in another thread now I don't have to!
    (0)

OMG THE CUTENESS

Player
    Character
    Arc Jurado
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Suirieko View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather them show the distance indicator than the AoE attack range indicator. This is making the game a little too easy, but to each their own.

Oh, and before some of you even begin to tout "They'll make it so you can turn it off." that means nothing. If it's there, may as well have it on. this is the same case with aggressive mobs indicator, a lot of people were upset about it because they feel it makes the game easier and ruins exploration (which is true, it eliminates the fun out of exploring, by making things less unknown).

Being spoon fed displays isn't what makes a player a better player, but actually learning from the mistakes and problems from the previous fights and applying it to the next fight is what makes the players stronger. I can agree that it can be tricky to judge the distance from the mobs (case in point, coincounter in Aurum Vale), but that can be easily combated with a distance indicator, rather than displaying the AoE attack range.

Secondly, I personally always like the challenge and the guess work of judging what the attack range of each bosses will be. Does giving us the ability to toggle this display changes that? No. I'm going to have to play it on because people I'm going to play with will expect me to have it on.

In the long run, this is good news for those who don't play as much or as well as others do, and makes it less likely for parties to fail due to players not able to judge distance, so I guess I'm indifference about it.
    Guess work isn't skill or challenge, it's guessing. The display of information means nothing if the player doesn't know what to do with it or isn't skilled enough to act on it. Information is just that, nothing more. It's not dodging attacks for you, it's just telling you whether or not you're in range. Being spoonfed information doesn't make you a better player and by the same token it doesn't make you a worse player. Just like the aggro indicator it means absolutely nothing if you don't know how to use that information.

A visual display isn't better or worse than a range number skill wise. It's just different ways of displaying information for the same reason.

In fact for something like the Nael Darnus hard mode fight, a visual indicator of his AoEs would do you little good as they go off too fast for you to react. The range number add-on that some used was the only way to make sure you were always at the appropriate range, no matter what the attack was. Some would say it requires less skill as you don't even have to react to it.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kenshiro Joestar
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    This is casualizing the fights.

I think it should be better if the boss mechanics actually helped you to learn the range and all that, instead of giving an external indicator, but oh well...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kiara Silvermoon
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannythm View Post
    This is casualizing the fights.

I think it should be better if the boss mechanics actually helped you to learn the range and all that, instead of giving an external indicator, but oh well...
    Hi Kenshiro,

Initially it feels like it maybe "casualizing" the fight as you say, but as Arcell mentions above, remember the outcry over the Enmity / Aggro Indicator when they first talked about? People were decrying that it'd ruin the game.

Instead the Enmity Indicator has been really helpful and useful and allows players to gauge how to manage their attacks and how far they can "ride Red Enmity" without ever going over into Flashing Red Enmity, etc.

While I personally don't need to have this new AOE Range Indicator, I think it would be helpful, as sadly, Square's Battle Team have already implemented some Boss Attack Moves that just *don't* read very well at all. Some examples:

• Garuda - Mistral Shriek: Why do so many people want to skip Phase 2 of Garuda? Mistral Shriek and Song are 2 key reasons. There have been times that I could've sworn I was far enough away on the opposite end of the Arena when Garuda did Mistral Shriek, only to be hit still. The Visual FX, Animations, Environment all *failed* to indicate properly how far away to be. Of course you can just try to "hug the oppposite wall" to be totally sure.
    • Nael Deus Darnus (Rivenroad Hard) - Iron Chariot + Lunar Dynamo: I'm still baffled that the Battle Team actually put in these 2 AOE Attacks and expected players to be able to accurately "guess" the perfect distance to be far enough away from Iron Chariot, but not too far away to be hit by Lunar Dynamo (you have a, what?, 1.5 yalm "gap" to stand to not be hit by either). Of course people with a 3rd Party App can read the distance, but without it? It's all eyeballing. Again, here, the VFX and Animations fail to teach the Player how to counteract this.
    So in 2.0, having an AOE Indicator might actually be helpful and useful. Players will still have to decide what to do with the information and react to it.

Currently, an average player fighting Van Darnus Hard and figuring out Iron Chariot and Lunar Dynamo ranges without any help is an exercise in frustration.

Thanks.
    (6)

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast