Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthis View Post
    I think getting rid of speedruns is much more important. For my money, mechanisms that shake up the battles and make them less choreographed are a good thing although they should be varied and not abused. I don't think hate reset is in the game right now though.
    Looking at other MMOs on the market, there are plenty mechanics that can shake up the battle without making an entire role completely useless for a prolonged period. That is, if the devs are willing to be creative instead of going down the easy but boring route.

The Secret World has some of the most dynamic boss battles i've seen in a long while, and tanks have some of the most solid aggro you can find in any MMO. Just to bring an example.
    (1)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Player
    Character
    Scyrus Ahmosae
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I gotta admit, the hate reset mechanic is a bit overused and very annoying. Its not even like its a nice challenging twist to things, it seems like it was used a generic way of making things more difficult. Not saying abolish it forever, but maybe revise it a little and use it less.

In their (SE) defense however, when you consider they're working on a new ( for the most part) MMO while trying to add to an existing MMO with bad mechanics i suppose it wasn't a bad option. Still have to agree, i wot be sad if i never see more than one or two more hate reset mobs/bosses for a while.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Other MMO's, not XI, that have hate reset mechanics also have tanks with taunts that put you back to the top of the hate list, and not just temporarily like Pug's taunt. Long ago it was suggested to add a skill like this to XIV's tank arsenal, but they didn't want to do it. Would have helped a lot with hate reset spamming. I don't think they will ever add anything like it, or get rid of hate resets, but they are going to make hate resets less constant or random, which is still a good thing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Xt Hydra
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    they can also trade emnity reset for a large AOE
    most of the time thats just cause chaos
    so if it would have low cooldown AOE and low Damage that would let low HP players to survive and run away
    meaning the fight will just last longer

**i forgot to mention it would be an AOE specificlly around the monster
    (0)
    Last edited by XT_hydra; 10-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
    Yeah I really hope they fix this in 2.0. If the tank ever dies its weird how hard it is to get hate back. The enmity in this game is very strange. Hopefully the gambit system fixes it.
    This is really my main gripe with the whole enmity system. If your tank dies, you're pretty much screwed. For cases like this and if a monster uses a single target hate reset, (looking at you golem from skirmish) they really should go the way of WoW and make taunts only work if you lose threat and have you focus on using your other abilities to maintain threat.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Better yet, give a future job an emnity reset ability on a 15-min cooldown.

Let US do it to THEM. /evil grin
    (0)

Player

I am an ffxi player and I began to play ffxiv about 4 weeks ago. This game being called ffxiv, I assumed that many things would work in the same manner as 11, but hate seems to be one of those things that I still cant figure out.

I started doing leves as mrd with a friend of mine; she was playing ach. Since I had the highest vit, defense, and str, it made sense that I would tank. However, every time I would run into battle, and attack the mobs, only the one that I would hit would focus on me. The rest would ignore me, and go attack the archer instead.

I found this absolutely moronic, since I was the one that got agro, I was the one attacking, and therefore all the mobs should focus on me. That is how hate worked in ffxi, and it made perfect sense. Why would a mob attack a target that has not even come into agro range?

If anyone cared to explain to me how hate works in this game I would really appreciate it, if you could refer me to a site or thread that explains how hate works.

So far to avoid cluster fucks like the one I described above, my friend an I decided to go THM (blm). We cast stoneskin, protect, stand right next to each other, and AoE fire all the mobs. It’s not pretty, but it gest the job done, and that way hate doesn’t play as big a role as with other classes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Xt Hydra
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    well as a PLD sometime when a lancer grab the hate i cast stoneskin on him lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine260 View Post
    If anyone cared to explain to me how hate works in this game I would really appreciate it, if you could refer me to a site or thread that explains how hate works.
    If someone does anything apart from DPSing the mob you originally aggro'd and other mobs are involved, they will peel off and attack that person if you have no aggro on the other mobs. In the case of your friend playing Archer, if they use Raging Strike and you haven't done anything to the other mobs you're fighting, they will run towards them. Aggro just seems to be THAT fickle in this game.

For what it's worth, it sounded like Yoshi-P was going to get away from the multi-mob stuff in guildleves at the very least. I imagine if mobs are still close enough to each other for quests and in dungeons they'll still link and you'll have to manage threat between all the mobs somehow.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2