Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Hayley Westenra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90

Rep/Dev question: Will ARR use NVIDIA PhysX?

As the title states, will ARR be able to utilize NVIDIA's PhysX on graphics cards when the game releases? I have heard before that the current game does not use it, even though there is a physics engine in the game.

I know that DirectX 11 will be a given later on once the development team, so us players know that that is in the pipeline If PhysX is incorporated, I assume it will be with special effects, lighting, movement, and such.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Indira Cliodhna
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    since the PS3 is max out with this game they cant even add a keyboard & mouse i doubt it. thats gonna leave pc users in the dark too, thanks to ps3 limitations.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Hayley Westenra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by indira View Post
    since the PS3 is max out with this game they cant even add a keyboard & mouse i doubt it. thats gonna leave pc users in the dark too, thanks to ps3 limitations.
    Exactly like FFXI and PS2, I take it? PS3 won't be able to get the DirectX 11 patch when the dev team does it for ARR, though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eadieni Valefor
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    PhysX is just a graphics upgrade really, it doesn't affect gameplay. So it COULD be added, but it won't. Well, they can have physx affect gameplay, but generally it's not used to do so because AMD users can't have it - so developers don't try to add a game-changing feature that only close to half the gaming population has.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Veto Bahamut
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 1
    thats gonna leave pc users in the dark too, thanks to ps3 limitations.
    lolwut

i mean yeah, sure, playing the game on high settings with a great rig sure is equivalent to ffxi looking like crap no matter how good your gear is. yep. yyyyyep. sounds about right. totally gettin' left out in the dark.

face
    palm
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Angelas Diabolos
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 60
    One thing I am looking forward to... no more crashes from Direct X Conflicts. I hope
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Atehki Mejastra
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    thats gonna leave pc users in the dark too, thanks to ps3 limitations.
    Since FFXI escaped the wrath of PS2 limitations with their next expansion, I am pretty sure that if it is ever needed, they will do the same with the PS3. I don't think PC users will be left in the dark since ARR will be able to perform well enough on lower end PCs, people will be given the choice to play it on PS3 or PC.

As for me, I'll be playing it on both. ^^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Naraku_Diabolos View Post
    PS3 won't be able to get the DirectX 11 patch when the dev team does it for ARR, though.
    The PS3 does not use any form of DirectX, it uses openGL. Also, because it's GPU is based on a 7800 nVidia chip, it doesn't meet the hardware requirements for PhysX (taken from here), so they can't add it to the PS3.

What they could do is use a custom physics engine, like they do now. Though it's only a basic one that affects how your equipment interacts between each other, in some cases adding clipping issues compared to not having it enabled.

Would be great if they could expand it so that running through grass actually makes the grass part in your way. Even if they could only implement it for the PC version, it shouldn't be a problem, physics being eye candy and the PC version looking better than the PS3 one in the first place.
    (0)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Lord Rulkar
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    It's been a few weeks but I remember either an official posting or maybe one of those Yoshi interviews where they discussed the ps3 limits. One of the things mentioned was it would not be a limit to what the pc can and will do. It seems they want those of us with outstanding pc's to be able to get all the eye candy we can handle while still allowing ps3/low spec pc users a chance to play that game. I took that to mean there will be higher graphics available to pc that a ps3 will not be able to obtain and that the dev team is ok with that. Thank god. I so hated the ps2 limits on ffxi customers who used pc.
    (0)

Player

I doubt it.

It would be cool, but I doubt it.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast