Player
    Character
    Viper Beam
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70

Best craftable gear for THM?

I have a 50THM from the Sacrifice III days, and I'd like to gear it reasonably to be able to help my LS when needed. (I have no interest in BLM, for reasons I won't go into here.) I'm wondering what my options are for craftable gear. I'd like to maintain some healing ability, but I realize that the gear is likely going to focus on nuking.

I took a look at the Vanya set (mainly head/body/feet), but there aren't a lot of HQ mats available and I'm sick of blowing up Flawless Vanya [x] attempts. So I'm wondering what my next best options is. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Lightning Brand/Vintage Cudgel (not sure here)
    Felt Cavalier's Hat/Electrum Circlet (Spinel) (not sure here)
    [body?]
    Boarskin Ringbands of Storms
    Raptorskin Satchel Belt
    Felt Gaskins
    Mahogany Pattens
    Zircon ring x2
    Zircon bracelet
    Spinel Choker
    [earring?]

I'm a member of Ul'dah GC, but the thought of dropping 24k seals on hat/body/bracelet/neck on items that cannot be resold for a class that I almost never play is... not attractive. So I'm hoping that there are some reasonable craftable substitutes.

P.S. If there are some non-craftable but good/cheap alternatives (e.g. Chiran Zabran's Tempest for WHM), I am certainly open.
    (0)
    Last edited by Spider-Dan; 10-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Some none craftable but easily purchaseable options would be:-
    Neck - Mages Choker,
    Ears - Mages Earings.
    Hands - Mages Half Gloves. (I personally prefer the half gloves over most other options. They're not meldable but still decent)

Body wise I don't think there's much in the way of options outside of Vanya really. Felt Bliaud is probably one of the better crafted options or a Felt Robe of Casting.

Again not craftable but The Giantsgall longstaff can be fairly decent with some int melded onto it. Electrum Sceptor isn't to bad though seems common enough. Maybe spruce patterns. depends really on the melds.

Maybe not great options but I've tried to limit it to stuff that is either crafted or easily available in the wards
    (0)
    Last edited by Dzian; 10-22-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Mikita Nightsong
    World
    Anima
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    If you do Hamlet enough while trying to get seals, you might try to get the Militia Hat (always drops from Golden Bazaar) or the Militia Robe from Hyrstmill (uncommon drop but not rare like the tights).

Otherwise...

Head: High single, or double INT materia melded to Felt Hat of Intelligence, Felt Cavalier's hat, or Rose Gold Circlet (this last one is a bit harder to come by)

Body: Felt Bliaud or Felt Robe of Casting... or Vanya if you can get one eventually.

Legs: INT+PIE or INT+MND materia melding onto Felt Gaskins or Woolen Tights.

Just another thought is that you can wear this gear while playing as WHM as well. I sometimes do that when I'm not the main healer, but want to be able to back up heal. I keep Cleric Stance up, go back and forth between Stone and Aero for the Magic Defense Down and Aero DoT while still being able to heal decently.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duuude Bismarck
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    The Vanya set is tough to craft HQ... but probably among the best for a THM.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sestina Aster
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    Funny thing about thm and blm, for most of our slots double or triple melded crafted gear is far better then any drops you can get from dungeons. Dark light, for example, is more geared for whm and brd then it is for blm.

Everyone above me more or less has it right. There are, however, some easy to obtain non crafted items that you could use. If you are from Limsa the strom sergeant's bliaud is a very good piece of gear because it has magic accuracy on it.

For your legs you absolutely want to go for int/mnd over int/pie. The mp you will gain from the pie is extremely small and pales in comparison to the benefit you can glean from the macc that mnd provides.

Overall, as many people above me have stated, the vanya body is extremely good (and stylish) for a thm. If you are having trouble crafting it I highly recommend rexaminig your crafting build or finding a buddy who has all crafting abilities available to them. When you are doing it properly the flawless parts are not THAT unobtainable.

The trick is to use your garunteed success abilities in place of your second wait and only wait on a red or prismatic glow. Masters mend and greater calling with rapid to finish things off are invaluable.
    (0)
    Last edited by JDR388; 10-24-2012 at 06:01 AM.

"A way of seeing is also a way of not seeing."
    Kazem Chaharbaghi - The Problematic of Strategy

Player
    Character
    Roranora Nonanora
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    i prefer using hq light brand ringbands circlet choker for lightning potency stack +78 iirc, easy to make for meld attempts as well if u have most doh abilitys.

i don't have militia gear, and have had bad luck with vanya xD all my stuff was crafted aside from gc gear, i swap in acc spinel circlet and diff rings when needed fyi.

everything is situational though, there is no perfect equip to an extent.

(0)
    Last edited by leomax; 10-28-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by leomax View Post
    i swap in acc spinel circlet and diff rings when needed fyi.
    I just wanna say in that screenshot i noticed your magic accuracy was really low, 418 and stood at garuda you must get resisted quite a bit even with minuet and food.
    (0)