Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Player

SE stop doing the "norm"

FFXI, that should have been your core model for 2.0 not GW2, RIFT, WOW, what have ya.

Please read these comments

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10...ke-to-see-mor/

You can see, most people are tired of how MMOS are being made, and they want them back to how they were(aka FFXI)

"... What made MMOs fun back in the day (and kept me logging in) was the sheer challenge of the content. Quests are fine to me, but do we really need a HUGE question mark? Glowing trails and arrows pointing you EXACTLY where you need to go? All that does is focus the gamer to consume the content as soon as possible. And we all know how much fun that is. Questing alone doesn't make me want to logon everyday. Its the complete experience."

I'm also not saying be stuck in the past, but add new things, be creative try something new that another game hasen't but keep that whole MMO WORLD feel. To me that's adventure, companionship, not, "go here, go there, go here" That's not any types of fun, that's just a good time killer.

Edit:

From SOE:
    "I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better than what had come before it. It was slightly better.

What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox-style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you've never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn't want more kill 10 rats quests. We didn't want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they're delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game."
    (96)
    Last edited by Rokien; 10-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Player
    Character
    Alphard Alshua
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    i blame the people moaned and cried to make 2.0 come into play
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Yuki Ynagi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    long time don't see rokien. And oh, another old topic in new fashion
    (26)

Player
    Character
    Affidon Kepler
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    True. Remember Rokien, just like anything such as games, music, movies, tv,etc. Square-Enix isn't FORCING some system upon people they are merely giving the people what the people requested. It is the population that is to blame for Square Moving to a western style MMO model. Square has to adapt in order to make sales, plain and simple.

And yes, FFXI should have been the core. It was a great game that was plagued by some flaws such as the inability to solo any content, or level on your own, coupled with the long time it sometimes took to form a party. Some of the menus were overly complex and the battle system, even though I like it, was seen as boring. But overall the core of the game was really solid and it provided a unique atmosphere and offline-style control scheme and feel that I have not seen in any other MMO since.

XIV focused way too hard on making good "graphics". As a result we wound up with awesome looking character models but bland copy-paste landscapes that never change through 50 levels of play. Hopefully 2.0 will be a nice blend of XI style with some basic necessities of modern MMOs (for example, not being able to change graphic settings in game is just silly).
    (9)
    Check out my blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com for technology and game reviews.

Player
    Character
    Skadi Felis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    The PS3 UI is not the norm
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I'd venture a guess that the people that want to do things that take 8 hours at a time are people that just have nothing else better to do with their time. Most people from 10 years ago who had the time to play the game for those stretches of time have families and other priorities now. Surely SE recognizes this and is going to design a game around their core demographic, which are people who play more casually.
    (32)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    I'd venture a guess that the people that want to do things that take 8 hours at a time are people that just have nothing else better to do with their time. Most people from 10 years ago who had the time to play the game for those stretches of time have families and other priorities now. Surely SE recognizes this and is going to design a game around their core demographic, which are people who play more casually.
    I don't have that time anymore, though, doesn't mean I don't want it, just because we don't have the time no more, doesn't mean millions of other people don't, why don't you go play a game(every mmo now) that doesn't eat your time. I want a game that lasts, so do others, Look at whats being released right now. GW2, complete the map you complete the game, doesn't take long, Tera, same thinig but go here go here, go there, you win!
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Fated Erskine
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Any chance of FFXIV being the next FFXI with improvements is long gone.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Eisen Gramul
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 90
    It's too late Rokien.
    Square's just too affraid to do anything but play it safe and add references and boob sliders.

Lowest common denominator to maximize interest. In spite of the fact that it's already everywhere else.

I could understand it a decade ago when there where only a few MMO's around, but now everyone and their off shot company has one.
    Right now I'm just too uninterested to even log into the game. The changes aren't appealing to me. Everything ends up frustrating or boring me. I'll give the new world a chance, but if it fails to pull me back in, I'm probably done with MMO's period. I got more important things to work on anyway.

Still, I wish them the best of luck. They're clearly trying hard to put this game in a new direction. It's just not a direction I find interesting.
    (41)

Player

There is nothing inherently wrong with questing, however the way many MMOs choose to deliver them is really stupid. From everything SE have told us, ARR will play host to hundred of mediocre/skippable quests which players will spam as though they were a chore. Rokien is right, this isn't fun.

It might be a standard, but let's try raise the bar a bit, ok?
    (31)

Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast