Player
    Character
    Exn Phenix
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It's all rose tinted nostalgia or completely anecdotal. SMN's role was radically different between exp parties and end game, as was RDM and BRD. BLM didn't even level in parties or traditional ones, but was heavily used in end-game. PLD subbed WAR in parties, but subbed WHM or NIN for harder NMs. Same for NIN/WAR and NIN/DRK.

Whooa what? You can't argue that you generally didn't learn your role via exp parties in XI. Obviously you adapt the skills you learn to fit the situation.. Even with SMN, you may have learned how to maximize DPS while keeping buffs, or effectively fish for your pt (holding active mobs while supporting pt), or just something as simple as practicing SCs+MBs. All would be used in endgame.

Heck, RDM and BRD's party roles were practically the exact same as endgame. RDM, (generally) refresh | buff/debuff | heal in both situations and BRD (generally) refresh | buff/debuff | kite/fish in both situations. There was a time ( a long period of time...) that BLM did level in traditional parties (the good ole days of timing AM1 with a SC) and BLM later continued to level in parties, just primarily manaburn. It's still an exp party though.. so I'm not sure what your point there was. And BLM certainly learned their role in both styles, especially manaburn as BLM were often grouped into BLM teams for endgame (the exact same setup as a manaburn, often with timed nukes that SHOULD'VE been learned mastered back in those manaburn parties..).

Ohh.. almost forgot.. /PreAbyssea
    (4)

Character
    Ryo Ruruzigo
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by mikoto_qc View Post
    yes Lvl grinding was Fun. Exp. Party WAS the perfect place to
    A) Learn how to play your character
    B) Met new players and make new friends

Now its more like a skill spam fest.
    man back in the day it was so much fun in ffXI, and i agree with you is was really cool how you lv up, because u made new friends and to play with alot of different type of people make it more realistic to an adventure hope 2.0 hope has something like that
    (2)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I can argue that you didn't learn your class because there were certain job/subjob combos that didn't even exist in exp party, and some roles that completely switched.

Yes, a RDM COULD do all of that in an exp party, but generally they stuck to refresh, healing, and haste. In end-game, they had DRK sub or NIN sub. SMN completely changed roles. Not all classes did this, yes, but generally the most critical ones did.

That doesn't even say anything about proper positioning like stopping flails, or knowing how to kite as a tank, or proper timing for stuns, or managing multiple tanks, and everything else.

At the end of the day, doing an exp party didn't force you to learn what end-game is like at all. People fought the easiest, most mind-numbing mobs because it was faster and safer leveling. Partying DID teach you not to be a douche to other players though, so I'll give it that.

EDIT: And yes, you could play at a high level in exp parties, and plenty of people did. But these people already had a different class in end-game and knew what was expected of them and how to do their research. But I'm sure you've all ran into those parties that slogged through at 4k/hr at level 55+ when you knew you could be getting 7k+. Those 4k/hr parties were made and led by people who didn't know how to play their classes and what classes do what roles, and they didn't need to because they were still getting exp and they could still reach max level by going 4k/hr the entire time through.
    (2)
    Last edited by Wolfie; 12-12-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Forgo Tego
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    what I find funny about this thread is SE or Square back in the day, Made what you call "the norm" so to tell SE not to be the "norm" would tell them that they should not be them self >.>
    (1)
    "I care nothing about who dominates the land, For me and my brethren will forever rule the skies." Forgo the Forgotten Dragoon
    Credit goes to Denmo and Nique from Masamune for this art :3

Player
    Character
    Fragile Stampede
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgo View Post
    what I find funny about this thread is SE or Square back in the day, Made what you call "the norm" so to tell SE not to be the "norm" would tell them that they should not be them self >.>

yeah but when ffxi was made i read that it started off horrible. people only solo'd, they also say that the blinking gear swapping was a mistake. it seems like everything they did was an accident from mistake after mistake and trying to fix it, that it turned out to be a great game by the time it landed in NA.

kinda like what happen with ffxiv except one difference ...they not really fixing mistakes. they rewrote the whole dang book, and it belongs in the children section now rather then in the isle i like reading. if they fixed the broken engine and then kept going with 16man grinds and big nm's in the world, and really tough and in depth crafting that needed many crafts. well then they may have again stumbled onto creation of something people would fall in love with again. instead they created what everyone has been running around trying to avoid for the past 10years since they abysea raped ffxi.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Forgo Tego
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by strallaalaa View Post
    yeah but when ffxi was made i read that it started off horrible. people only solo'd, they also say that the blinking gear swapping was a mistake. it seems like everything they did was an accident from mistake after mistake and trying to fix it, that it turned out to be a great game by the time it landed in NA.

kinda like what happen with ffxiv except one difference ...they not really fixing mistakes. they rewrote the whole dang book, and it belongs in the children section now rather then in the isle i like reading. if they fixed the broken engine and then kept going with 16man grinds and big nm's in the world, and really tough and in depth crafting that needed many crafts. well then they may have again stumbled onto creation of something people would fall in love with again. instead they created what everyone has been running around trying to avoid for the past 10years since they abysea raped ffxi.
    so true my friend, FFXI has its flaws still and FFXIV had its short comings too...but mmo's today where build on that. But I think FFXVI will change the "norm" and make people love it
    (1)
    "I care nothing about who dominates the land, For me and my brethren will forever rule the skies." Forgo the Forgotten Dragoon
    Credit goes to Denmo and Nique from Masamune for this art :3

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Honestly guys, the "norm" that FFXIV is adhering to is some modern concepts that have become staples to make the game easier to get into and customize, but not necessarily easier to master.

It's already set itself far apart from WOW and "the clones" because it doesn't have two warring factions, you can level all your classes on one character, you're going to have true player housing, crafting and gathering are actual classes and will potentially get their own end-game, etc.

That doesn't even say anything about the story and visuals, which I'm pretty sure you'd have to be crazy to say they're not good.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Firon Veleth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Exn View Post
    Whooa what? You can't argue that you generally didn't learn your role via exp parties in XI. Obviously you adapt the skills you learn to fit the situation.. Even with SMN, you may have learned how to maximize DPS while keeping buffs, or effectively fish for your pt (holding active mobs while supporting pt), or just something as simple as practicing SCs+MBs. All would be used in endgame.

Heck, RDM and BRD's party roles were practically the exact same as endgame. RDM, (generally) refresh | buff/debuff | heal in both situations and BRD (generally) refresh | buff/debuff | kite/fish in both situations. There was a time ( a long period of time...) that BLM did level in traditional parties (the good ole days of timing AM1 with a SC) and BLM later continued to level in parties, just primarily manaburn. It's still an exp party though.. so I'm not sure what your point there was. And BLM certainly learned their role in both styles, especially manaburn as BLM were often grouped into BLM teams for endgame (the exact same setup as a manaburn, often with timed nukes that SHOULD'VE been learned mastered back in those manaburn parties..).

Ohh.. almost forgot.. /PreAbyssea
    People keep using this argument for XI but that is because a lot of endgame fights used similar strats to what you did in a pt. If your boss fights are truly great it wont teach you a lot of things end game has to offer.

No matter how much grinding you do in this game it could not get you prepared for garuda or teach you how to play your job to react to so many different situations.

FYI the only hard classes to play in XI FYI in a pt setting was Tank healer/other mages. Soon healing got easy to cause of so much refresh stacking. DD was super brainless.
    (1)
    Last edited by Firon; 12-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74