Player
    Character
    Silent Protagonist
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    I would like SE to take itself seriously, ahrimon mount....?

Vanity + raindeer outfit = ~_~

Going to see some very silly generic mmo stuff they aren't careful.
    And I'd like a Square Enix that spends more time and resources making games rather than making game trailers and FMVs but this is the square enix we got, not the square enix we want.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by auritribe View Post
    And I'd like a Square Enix that spends more time and resources making games rather than making game trailers and FMVs but this is the square enix we got, not the square enix we want.
    Even though SE doesn't make their own trailers.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Silent Protagonist
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Even though SE doesn't make their own trailers.
    Wow, did not know this. What ARE they doing then?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Teisha Linne
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Remaking the first 3 FF's.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Silent Protagonist
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Remaking the first 3 FF's.
    Over and over and over.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Veto Bahamut
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbygunz View Post
    I don't know what market research they did over at SE but if you read the message boards on websites like MMORPG.com or Massively or thisisgame or mmoculture.com or steparu.com, you really get a sense that players don't enjoy the status quo they've been fed for the past MMO generation
    actually, the first thing any marketing researcher worth their salt learns is that the things any particular demographic CLAIM they want are not always the things they ACTUALLY want. ie: no matter how much people CLAIM they don't like the status quo, WoW dominates. and no matter how much people CLAIM they don't like the status quo, titles doing things differently (tera's combat, xi's open world NMs, etc) either flop outright or only appeal to a very tiny segment.

you can't just take what the layman says at face value, because they often don't actually know what they want. they only think they do... until they're presented with new/different choices.

in marketing, to get the answers and data you seek... you must first ask the right questions. and since all we have so far is a mountain of evidence contradicting everything people SAY they want... it's clear the right questions aren't being asked.

until that happens, companies just won't be able to provide the solutions/products people don't even realize they're looking for... and the cycle continues.

(and as a side note, i should mention most of those forums you listed are filled with the kind of gamer that CLAIMED guild wars 2 will be the savior of MMOs, a true revolutionary, and that every other MMO should follow in its footsteps and be f2p and the like........................... only to stop playing gw2 after a couple weeks. hard to take that terribly seriously as reliable data)
    (20)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by auritribe View Post
    You'll all play it anyway. Deal with it.
    Yes, we will. The question is, for how long.

Sure, I'm going to give 2.0 a fair chance, and while some of the features look interesting, the rest is same old generic system we see in other MMOs - so far. I will be there for alpha/beta and probably a few months after release, but after that? I already got bored of the current FFXIV, so the new stuff that is supposed to come with ARR (and my friends) is the only reason I'm in hibernation mode, not quit mode.

Quote Originally Posted by fusional View Post
    and no matter how much people CLAIM they don't like the status quo, titles doing things differently (tera's combat)
    Woah, woah, wait. The reason TERA is considered a failure is certainly not the combat system, else Blade&Soul wouldn't be so well received.

The reason is they concentrated on the system too much, making everything else pretty boring. That and the whole censorship, as well as mediocre publishing (at least in Europe, can's speak for US/KR), to name a few more reasons.
    (6)
    Last edited by Soukyuu; 10-19-2012 at 05:49 AM.

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Tamako Lalako
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    This reminds me of when people thought MMORPGs were over from the failure of SWTOR.. but I mean, did anyone play that game? -- In my opinion, it was one of the most singleplayer MMORPGs I have ever played.. Not to mention the story really dried up once you got to level 20.

If ARR doesn't meet the quality I'd hope for, I'll just stick to FFXI. Yes I'll be disappointed, but there's nothing much I can do.. and I guess if the game turns out to be a Rift/SWTOR, then the player base will diminish. A good indicator of your MMORPG being successful, is the amount of people still playing your game 2-4 months after release, as well as the player base not having many complaints. I don't think a successful mmorpg needs 1 million + players..

The popular thing for companies to do now is to make a carbon copy with a different skin and some 'unique' feature meant to be game changing. Give it 2 - 3 months max, and there will be server merges down to 1 - 3 servers (*cough* TERA)..

You can't use 1.0 as an example of something great, because asides the uniqueness of the game, it was terribly flawed.. (please don't make me write a list of all of the problems including the clunky/slow UI, looting system, etc).

Sure TERA has nice combat, but the rest of the game is boring for me! I want a game that has other aspects rather than speeding to level cap and facerolling dungeons until I get bored.

Also - they should bring back party alliances from XI.. although I'm against turning XIV into XI.. it was a pretty good idea that stopped a small group of people claiming a grinding spot.
    (7)
    Last edited by Yellow; 10-19-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Player
    Character
    Yuki Ynagi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    singleplayer+mmorpg = does not compute.
    And swtor failed because ultra-slow update and faulty mechanics, not because they had quests
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by yukikaze_yanagi View Post
    singleplayer+mmorpg = does not compute.
    And swtor failed because ultra-slow update and faulty mechanics, not because they had quests
    However, people will get tired of the same thing over and over in a different skin, that is SWTOR's downfall, not even so much the singleplayer aspect since people seem more anti-social now, it's the fact it was just a Star Wars skin over the same shit you already played before.
    (4)

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast