Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Alex Niculaie
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Think I am going to do something that is out of the norm for those in this thread and actually wait to see what the game is like first hand before making my mind up. Seriously, people really need to get lives . . . and maybe some perspective.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Boye Fran
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    Its funny reading all these posts about nostalgia and FFXI diehards wishing XIV was more like that (and maybe never being fully satisfied with another MMO so long as they yearn for a similar experience). Funny because FFXIV was basically the first MMO I ever played - my friends tried to get me into WoW for years but I never made it past a month of playing - every time I've taken a break from XIV to play other games like Rift during the tsunami shutdown, Tera, SWTOR & GW2 - I've always ended up wishing they were more like XIV and ultimately left them because none of them could give me the experience I got from XIV. So maybe the people that are saying you're never going to get that "first experience" back are right, because as busted up as XIV was at launch - here I am doing the same thing you FFXI'ers are except I'm wishing other games were more like XIV lol.

Being a MMO rookie I probably missed half the flaws that you vets had problems with but honestly I thought XIV 1.0 was a great game - not including the obvious things like the UI lag & having to hold your shield up just to get SP on Sentinel - but the game after the patches that fixed those 2 things and the game before the patch that enabled powerleveling was the best MMO I've played. The only thing it was missing was more dynamic/diverse leves to choose from and more open world content (why did we only get 3 big NMs?).

So anyway, I just wanted to post this because everything I'm reading reminds me so much of how I feel when I try other games out & wishing I could they could give me some of the same experiences that XIV did.
    This is a perfect example as to the point I was trying to make. Others quick to debate with me are trying to make it about the systems and content FFXI had, but I wasn't referring to that nor was I referring to FFXI in a bad light.

I just wanted be honest in saying that my first love, so to speak, really influenced everything I felt after and I realized how unhealthy that was in terms of how I looked at other MMO prospects. And I see that a lot in others as well.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Rui Oran
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyko View Post
    To be fair the player polls were kinda bullshit as its pretty obvious that it only represents like 5% of the playerbase at most so to say the "Community" asked for this game is a stretch. Tanaka's vision could have been great if he had been given the proper amount of time to polish and hadn't had some ancient system to build on.
    The polls were posted on the site for every player to participate in. The poll post appeared whenever you logged in, with the "Check out the Lodestone for news!" Announcement you get every time you log in. The community has been given a very very fair chance at giving SE their input. Those who did, did. Those who didn't missed out and they've only got themselves to blame, if they dislike this coming product. It was far from bullshit.

No. The designs of FFXIV were flawed during Tanaka's time. I've stated why and what in an earlier post that I don't personally feel like recapping.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Eisen Gramul
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 90
    But I don't think replacing them with systems from other games is an appropriate solution.

As for the polls, I felt those tended to be a little misleading. When I voted for 'instanced based claim' I thought I was voting for spesific monsters like Ifrit and the like. Not the wide majority of the game to be divided from the whole, making a hub based overworld with systematic timed dungeon runs instead of a whole dynamic world on its own.

Not exacly pleased with the results so far.
    (10)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
    True. Remember Rokien, just like anything such as games, music, movies, tv,etc. Square-Enix isn't FORCING some system upon people they are merely giving the people what the people requested. It is the population that is to blame for Square Moving to a western style MMO model. Square has to adapt in order to make sales, plain and simple.

And yes, FFXI should have been the core. It was a great game that was plagued by some flaws such as the inability to solo any content, or level on your own, coupled with the long time it sometimes took to form a party. Some of the menus were overly complex and the battle system, even though I like it, was seen as boring. But overall the core of the game was really solid and it provided a unique atmosphere and offline-style control scheme and feel that I have not seen in any other MMO since.

XIV focused way too hard on making good "graphics". As a result we wound up with awesome looking character models but bland copy-paste landscapes that never change through 50 levels of play. Hopefully 2.0 will be a nice blend of XI style with some basic necessities of modern MMOs (for example, not being able to change graphic settings in game is just silly).
    Problem is if FFXI was the model all that would have done was steal away from the FFXI player base and cause them to have to shut down their other cash cow. Also not as many people would be interested, FFXI was amazing amongst a fairly small group of people compared to other games. They needed to go with a model that would draw massive amounts of people not just a few thousand. Personally I would've loved an XI 2.0 or something of the sorts but the company needs a big success after the big failure and they are definitely going in the right direction by following the trend. As long as they don't go overboard and try to be a clone and from what I have seen that is not the case so FFXIV: ARR will be a pretty big success I believe.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Vai Greystone
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Rokien, perhaps it is -you- who should stop doing nothing more than what the public expects of you!
    (4)
    7UP!

Player
    Character
    Azarim Erro
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramul View Post
    Never heard that one before. Points for being so original. A time machine, how clever. he he ho ho ha ha.
    Such as all the beat-the-dead-horse arguments around here are so original as well?

The rest of the post doesn't target you, Gramul, but I just had to retort against that statement.

At least provide some manner of perspective and evidence instead of all the 'I want...I need...I'm a veteran so I'm entitled...' attitude that is beginning to ripen around these forums.

Am I concerned about ARR? Yes, of course. But do I find the need to express every whinge about what I may find will ruin my experience, even before I've had such that experience? Do I find the need to know every last detail of the game before it comes out, down to how many polygons the grass is made of? Do I find the need to exaggerate common rumours and assumptions and use them as 'facts'?

I may be a rookie when it comes to MMOs, but I have friends interested in FFXIV - some are following ARR news because -gasp- they are actually hooked in by the information! About how different ARR sounds to their current MMOs! Accordingly, the reason for their excitement is because they feel like they've been hit with a lot of information during the past recent times; they noted the transparency of the details for FFXIV being far beyond what their other MMOs were before release.

Perspective, people. Just because we're been playing and gaining information progressively doesn't mean people who just discovered it won't - there's a major difference between the perspective of current players viewing a reconstruction on a daily basis compared to outside strangers who are only now noticing the new framework of the structure.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Driven Rapturespell
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I have read plenty of sites comments and there is plenty of positive people looking forward to this game. I'm with alex wait and see before judgement.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Zilo Zilla
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    This thread isn't about ffxi, I just brought it up as a point. Though to get to your point, FFXI is still there, i can log on right now if i wanted to and get the same feeling as I did a year or so ago. It's not about "nostalgia" for one FFXI is still there, and I can play it.
    Just to clarify...no, no you cannot. its not how anyone here remembers it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ash Emberheart
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokien View Post
    One bazillion times this.

Whut
    The leveling process. I want it long, complicated, and slow (like FFXI back in its early days.) I am serious. My biggest hate in mmos is coming to the "end game". I would much much (many times over) prefer to just have a longer, harder journey to get to the end, than fast leveling and a wall with a treadmill at the end, doomed to live out my virtual life visiting the same dungeon over and over ,"ad nauseam".

I miss the days when your level actually meant some hard-core work was involved. i want some quests that are epic in scope and a pain in the ass to complete so you value your characters work more (making rerolling unappealing). I want to say my character is level 80, and be met with wide eyes of disbelief, instead of indifference
    This sums up my feelings entirely. As I said in a different thread, after powerleveling & massive exp gains were patched in it killed almost every sense of accomplishment this game offered me. The journey to cap, the feeling of hitting it and the way I looked at my character (as well as others) has never been the same. Seeing a Rank 50 "anything" used to leave me thinking, "Hey nice work, congrats." - now I'm like, "So where did you PL?". I'm not saying everyone exploits the system, but I am saying that well over the majority have and its diminished a lot of what I used to love about this game.
    (6)
    Last edited by Corleone; 10-20-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast