Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 66

Let me tell you a story about my old adventuring friend, Groffi. He was the kind sort – always willing to lend a helping hand, always friendly and charming. He was a miner by trade, though took more pleasure supplying the world with iron from La Noscea than the more profitable darksteel of Coerthas. “Darksteel is durable, but there is no substitute for the reliable La Noscean iron!” he’d say.

One evening as he was passing through Bloodshore he happened upon a Burble – that’s what they call the Snurbles in those parts, anyhow. The Burble, light as a feather, bounced high over Groffi’s midlander head with a happy chortle and cast its little protection spells on him. What a happy sight he was! Grateful of this added assurance to his survival on the way home, Groffi thanked the Burble with a bow and continued south to Limsa Lominsa.

He had not long passed Cedarwood when he was shocked to find the same Burble at his feet! Now, any adventurer with his salt knows that critters and monsters alike seldom stray far from their homes, even if giving chase. But there it was, fluffing about my friend in jolly circles. Groffi gently urged it to return to its home lest another adventurer slay it for its tufts.

In the La Noscean twilight, as he crossed the Procession of Terns into Limsa, he once more crossed paths with the Burble. Seeing this as a sign of its devotion to him, he brought it home, cuddling to sleep with it in his bed.
    The next day I met him at the Drowning Wench to share both drinks and adventuring stories, and he told me of the wayward Burble that followed him home. He seemed overjoyed that such a rare creature would willingly become his pet, and asked me if I knew anything about raising Snurbles. Though I told him I did not, he still offered to introduce me to his fuzzy little friend. So we paid the barkeep and made for his home at the northern islands.

When we arrived, he flung open the door and cheerfully called into the quiet room. He then knelt abruptly and reached out his hand, as if stroking the air. “Here he is! Feel how soft his fur is! It’s no wonder they make such comfortable clothing with these little guys.”

Confused, I observed his vacant hand, and then cast my gaze about the empty room. “Is this a joke? I see nothing,” I chuckled. I knew he couldn’t hold his ale, but I never thought he’d be given to hallucination. Yet still he insisted the Burble was there, and even began to grow angry and defensive before finally throwing me out! I lost touch with him for several days after that. I assumed he wanted me gone for insulting his imaginary Burble pet.

I worried about Groffi until over a week later, when he called me back to his home. “It’s still there,” he said, his face pale. When I confessed my failure to understand, he related to me the details of his past several days:

The Burble refused to leave him alone after I’d left. He’d asked others if they could see it, and though they all answered in the negative he could still feel it snuggling up next to him. It would not let him sleep nor eat, and bounced about as if laughing at his misery! On the fourth day, as he was trying his best to mine in spite of fatigue, he could stand its fluffy taunts no longer, and brought his pickaxe down hard upon its head. It collapsed, dead on the La Noscean grass.

Thinking himself free, he hurried home to his bed and dreamed of rolling in Snurble Tufts and wearing the finest felt! And when he opened his eyes…the Burble stared back into them, its body nestled softly on his chest... Thereafter he locked himself away.

He begged me in earnest to find a solution, so I quickly flew to Gridania to consult the Conjurers… but I was too late. Groffi was last seen fleeing an invisible foe before casting himself into the sea, where he died.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Momo Snugglebites
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 81

By the Primals... I'm pregnant. I wonder who did it? *eerie spookiness and suspense ensues*
    (7)

Player

The Mercenary’s Path

Our story begins one lonely night as Roubian Zamark looks onward into the flames, trying to remember what he fights for, why he continues to risk his life on a dream that was his brother Attros's dream in the first place. Looking back he knew why he was still a mercenary, he was doing it for his dead brother. Ever since the day his older brother died Roubian knew that he would get revenge on the monster that killed his brother. Staring into the flames Roubian started remembering that awful day 10 years ago.

Brother why are we taking this mission the man is hardly paying us anything? Attros turned and looked into Roubian's eyes. It isn’t about how much we are getting paid we are doing this to show that we are the best and the best never say no to any mission. Attros placed his hand on Roubian’s shoulder and gave him a smile. Now let’s get going I can’t slay this monster without your help.

Roubian smiled at his older brother and nodded. Onward said Attros to the Black Forest of the Forgotten Land. Roubian and his brother set off to their destination as they got closer the Forest grew thicker and thicker. Brother are we almost there I’m getting tired tugging on his brothers arm? Almost Roubian we are nearly there just be patience.

They continued walking for a bit longer when all of a sudden Attros shouted get down! With a quick flash Roubian was pushed onto the ground by his brother his brother’s sword drawn and holding something back. As Roubian backed away he got a clear picture of the monster that was attacking his brother. It was a pixie with a gold glowing orb in its chest. Is this what we are after brother said Roubian franticly? Yes but don’t let its appearance fool you they are stronger than they look. Attros successfully parried the pixie and tried to counter but the pixie was faster than he was and dodged the attack. Attros was back on the defensive trying to parry and strike but it wasn’t working.

Roubian get out of here said his brother run and don’t stop get back to town and tell the villagers what is going on. The pixie quickly looked at Roubian and said these words, your soul will be mine and you will forever walk the earth with a savory thirst for blood. The pixie quickly pulled out its wand and flung a ball of light at Roubian. Attros jumped in front of the spell shielding Roubian from the light. Attros dropped to his knees and turned his head to look at Roubian. Roubian was looking at his brother in shock his skin was melting off his face! With Attros's last breath he managed to mutter one word…run.

Roubian set up in a cold sweat he had fallen asleep in front of the fire. Roubian stood up and grabbed his axe and started heading toward the Black Forest of the Forgotten Land. Tonight Roubian was going to kill the monster that had killed his brother. Roubian approached the area where the fight took place many years ago.

Roubian looked around but saw nothing, but felt a cold presence somewhere around him. Show yourself said Roubian drastically looking around! The boy from 10 years ago has returned said a dark figure. As Roubian looked closer he saw the pixie with the gold orb in his chest from 10 years ago. Where is my brother you monster said Roubian?

The pixie laughed and said he is my mine and does what I want him to do Said the pixie, now finish him off my slave! Roubian turned around just in time to dodge a swing sword. Roubian stopped and recognized the sword. Roubian looked at the now skinless figure standing in front of him and said brother? The skeleton raised his sword and said Rou…Roubian, thrusting it into Roubian’s chest. Roubian stared lifelessly into the skeleton’s eyes, as Roubian fell to the ground the last thing Roubian heard was the sound of the pixie laughing.

Happy Halloween!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Uriah Nool
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

Beware the Twelveswood

This is a true story. It happened to me when I was very small, yet still very brave. I was attending a harvest celebration in Gridania. I started to feel very alone and distant from the rest of the crowd. I decided I would wander to the outer edge of town to get some quiet time, and some fresh air.

I eventually found myself at the edge of the bridge past White Wolf Gate, and at the mouth of the Twelveswood. It was peaceful, and the sounds of nature were calming. This was one of the most perfect nights weather-wise I could remember. The air was surprisingly warm for late autumn. There was no moon out, and if it wasn’t for all the trees above, you could see the stars for miles.

Even here though, I wasn’t satisfied with being alone. I wanted more. I could still see the lights from Gridania behind me, and I could still hear faint music and cheers from the crowd. I wanted to get away from town completely. I wanted silience – but more importantly I wanted to find a clearing among the trees to catch a real glimpse of the night sky. I took off wandering down the road, following the lanterns that someone had been lighting. I figured they would lead me to a nearby camp, or at the very least I could always follow them back to town.

Now, I came from Limsa Lominsa. I knew nothing of the tales of spirits or woods or the dangers of the Black Shroud. Back home I’ve heard tales of ships being lost at sea, or great tentically beasts dragging unattended children into their icy cold depths – but this were dry land I was on. There would be no possible danger walking alone on such a night.

I continued to walk for what seemed like a good hour, and I began to grow tired. I debated if it would be easier to just turn back, as I would have to eventually, even if I did make it to camp.

I turned around, but upon doing so, I noticed a thicker wall of fog had grown behind me. I stopped and stared into the fog. I couldn’t make out much in the darkness, but I could swear I saw some glowing red eyes peering at me from behind it. I could hear whispers coming from the fog, and I heard my name among them. There was something very angry and disturbed about this fog.

I decided to walk a bit faster and continue toward camp, but every time I turned around, the fog seemed to be closer. I did not like this. Soon I found myself running in a panic. My only thoughts at that point were not about the stars, or the party. My only thoughts were to hurry to the camp and out of the darkness.

…but I never made it.

The last thing I remember was running in a panic and screaming as the fog overran me. A thousand whispers filled my head as I felt hands grabbing at me and pulling at me – pulling me into the fog.

I awoke the next morning in the camp at Crimson Bark. Nobody would tell me how I had gotten there, but I was warned to never go out at night again – especially not this time of year. I had asked what had happened. I was told that I had tainted the woods and what I experienced was the spirits of the woods’ anger for it. I could not get any more answers, only warnings – as if what had happened was forbidden to speak of.

Ever since that day I’ve felt like a part of me was missing. The woods had taken something form me that night – some part of my soul now belonged to them if you believe in such things. Somewhere deep down inside, I fear when the gates of death to come calling for me, it will not be a paradise that awaits, but rather I will be called into the Twelveswood to spend my eternity – to serve them, and to answer for my trespassing.
    (2)
    "There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool."

Player
    Character
    Gryzz Odyss
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 51

I was a boy when first I heard the story. A roegadyn.
    A clumsy goofball that came from an island of fisherman. Who sailed the seas only because his father was captain. Wish I could say he was a mighty pirate. His appetite was pretty mighty though lol. Grak stood the tallest, belched the loudest, but spoke the softest. Amongst the roeagadyn, Grak Malduke was a joke. Funny how a joke can turn into something more...

One day while out at sea, a storm shielded by fog came from nowhere. This was no ordinary storm!

In a matter of moments the ship was crawling with monsters! The captain yelled "Battlestations!" and the crew took up arms to fend off the invaders. While Graks father and fellow townsmen fought for their lives, Grak lay hidden in an empty barrel, cowering in fear. Poor Grak was no fighter. He lacked courage. His mother once told him he's so huge, because, a normal size wouldn't be fitting of one with a heart so big.

When the sounds of ripping flesh and cries of men died away, Grak had not the will to come out. 1 day passed. 2 days, 3,4,5, a week passed. For a week he lay there wimpering, dreading the sight of the bloody scene. When the hunger was unbearable, he crept out of the barrel. However, he wasn't on his father's ship.

Dazed and confused, he stumbled a few steps when Roeagadyn began emerging from the forest. He was on an island! He began to recognize their faces, only to find mostly everyone from the ship alive and well! Of course they teased him, called him a coward and had their fun. The crew emerged victorious! Everyone knew how Grak was, a useless big coward, but a kindhearted and honest fool he was. They had just come back from a search for food, and they told Grak everything.

After the fight, the storm blew the ship into uncharted territory. Grak was so out of it.
    Whilst fear and hunger gripped him he hadn't noticed they moved the barrel after the battle. The ship had just landed at the island not long ago, and the men had just come back from a hunt. What little food was caught, was split sparingly among them. Grak was starving! Among everyone else, there was very little for him to eat. It was the most delicious meat Grak had ever eaten! "Dodo tenderloin!" he said, then yelled "This is the best meal ever!" In that instant an arrow came flying from the forest and pierced his father in between the eyes.

More arrows started to pour onto them! A herd of angry dodo flurried out the forest and launched an attack! It was surreal for Grak! He had little energy, after fasting for seven days how could he? Grak didn't want to let his father and friends down again. He was filled with anger and bravery, confusion and disbelief. A dodo came bulleting toward him, barely able to dodge its blitz he had only the strength to bite it in the leg..

And when he did, a transformation began.. he chew on the bloody hunk of flesh regaining his energy, savoring every drop and loving every ounce of it. The once full roegadyn that teetered down to a fraction of his size, was still large compared to those of his comrades. Graks eyes turned to those of a madman, overcome with an insatiable thirst and overwhelming need to feed. Dodos charged one after the other but fell quickly to Graks rage. Witnessing his townspeople around him dying only made worse Graks carniverous rampage. He tore through flesh, crazed, he was an unstoppable force on the battlefield. There were so many of them. Everyone else from his crew already lay perished, but Grak still fought, and ate, at what seemed like an endless horde of dodo. The earth stained red with blood, synched perfectly with the red moon in the sky. Time passes..

When Grak awoke, he was back in the barrel. Grak was so confused, it was like he had a horrible nightmare and never even left the barrel. He hadn't even noticed his hunger was gone. He crept out not knowing what to expect.

What lay before him was everything he feared, only worse. What he found wasn't the ship full of monsters. Or the endless horde of dodo.

His appearance changed, with tears in his eyes he looked at the sky and yelled..

"THAT WAS THE BEST MEAL EVER!"
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Calmcacil Desmarais
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

The Sands of Ul'dah

"We're so close, why are we stopping here?" The young Miqo'te glared at her companion, an Elezen adventurer she had begun following days ago, hoping to see some excitement. So far, all she had seen were rocks.

"Surely you've heard of the Sands of Ul'dah."

The Miqo'te picked a handful of coarse sand off the ground. "The city is in the middle of a desert, of course there's sand."

The Elezen leaned toward the fire. Frustrated, the Miqo'te began packing. She had come so far from home and was this close to the richest city in Eorzea. If this man wouldn't even let her get near it, she'd find someone else to follow.
    "Perhaps you’ve heard about the coliseum.”

She scowled at him, shoving her things into the pack. If she hurried, she could get into the city before nightfall.

"It's what calls most people to the city. The chance to show their strength, win riches, become famous. The truth, though, is that more people meet their end there than find new beginnings."

The Elezen paused to rub the scar on his arm. The Miqo'te caught herself staring. Would she finally hear something of this man's experiences?

"What most people don't know is that Ul'dah was built around the coliseum. Its circular design mimics the arena floor. That city has violence at its core, far deeper than gold." He stopped and took a swallow of water. The Miqo'te was sure there was more and did her best to keep herself quiet.

Eventually the Elezen turned to her, obviously surprised that she possessed such patience. The Miqo'te growled at him, but he raised a hand for peace and continued. "These days, those who lose are carried off to the priests, and their blood is swept under the sands. In the early days, though, the sand covered more than just blood. In those days, fights always ended in death, and the bodies were left where they fell. The sands scoured them from existence. It was like that for decades, before the wealthy made the city their home. But those bodies are still entombed under the walls and streets of Ul'dah."

"Still, it's no reason to avoid a bed and a full meal.” The Miqo'te shivered. “Those old bones can’t reach up and get you." She turned to the skyline in the distance, feeling colder than she should have.

"Not until the priests moved in."

The Miqo'te turned her head back toward the Elezen, her ears laid back and hackles raised.

"The priests say they came because of what was happening, but everybody knows that nothing strange occured until after they started practicing their rituals in the city."

"What... kind of strange things?"

"When the Nald'Thal rituals begin, a red fog rises. Their death magic escapes the monastery and the blood soaked sand foundation of Ul’dah fills the air. Those trapped inside hear weapons clashing. Those who breathe it in become possessed by ancient souls raging to redeem their arena losses. Some run off, others go into a frenzy. But the strangest thing is that the sands don't harm the weak. The sands take only those who are strong and able to fight. And," he said, pointing at the giant red moon, "that won’t make things any better."

The Elezen trailed off. The Miqo'te, pale and shivering, brought her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms and tail tightly around herself. A sudden movement at the edge of the fire caught her attention, and she shrieked, startling her companion back to himself.

"It doesn't happen every night, of course. Only the priests know what dark schedules they keep. You might be fine. You're able enough, sure, but you don't have the experience the spirits want. Me, though...

“Get some sleep; we'll go in with the sun when there isn't as much danger."

The Elezen laid back and shut his eyes. The Miqo'te girl, her terror not at all abated, pulled a blanket from her pack and sat closer to the fire. As the sun sank below the horizon, she knew there would be no chance of a bed or a meal this night. There would be little enough chance for sleep.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Garnet Gressible
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50

I was but a young adventurer at the time, working hard to gather as many cotton bolls and moko grass for experience. Yes, I was an unskilled weaver, barley making enough gil to survive. Sure, I had woven my fair share of hempen shirts and trousers, but I was still nothing compared to most of my peers. My tiny Dunesfolk fingers made it hard for me to finish the many requests I was assigned at Sunsilk Tapestries. I had to earn a living somehow; Ul’dah is not kind to the poor. One day, after failing yet another assignment, Deaustie, my employer, told me that the guild master was fed up with my indecencies, and commanded me to find work elsewhere in the realm. I was heartbroken. This was my first and only job, and I couldn’t afford to be unemployed in Ul’dah. There are so few jobs to begin with; how did I manage to screw up mine?! I left the guild in shame that day; my fellow weavers were snickering and laughing at me as I walked out the door. I couldn’t stop crying on my way back to the windowless apartment I called home. “I will just find another job”, I kept repeating to myself in a whisper. I stopped for a moment to remember what my rent collector, Airam Rhamide, said to me earlier this morning, he said, “Don’t you bother coming back to this here dump unless you got the gil you owe me, understand boy?”. He is a mean Roegadyn who sports an awful odor wherever he travels. Without the pay from today’s commissions I would not be able to go back home. I knew I wasn’t going to find another job; I only knew how to weave, if that. My mother taught me the art of cloth before she passed away. She always told me that my good looks wouldn’t take me far in Ul’dah. You see, my father was a moogle. Don’t ask me how I was conceived; I am not quite sure myself how a moogle could fancy a Dunesfolk. Well, I knew exactly the thing to cheer me up, so I decided to enjoy myself. The day was almost over, and the night sky looked so beautiful. The Ul’dahn lamps appeared stunning amidst the darkness. My footsteps echoed as I walked throughout the inner part of the capital. I felt so lonely. I reached the Wellhead Lift near the Ruby Road Exchange and waited patiently for the doors to open. There was no one around. I rode up to the 3rd floor to watch the airships; I could watch those airships come in and take off all day. Ever since I was little I have always wanted to ride one, but my mom and I never had enough gil. The Lift’s doors opened and I was inside my sanctuary, the airship landing. Stangyth, the departure attendant, greeted me with a smile as usual. She knows, by the rags draped around me, that I am of the lower class; yet she always smiles. She is a nice lady. I inquired from her as to when the next airship would be landing. She said, “I am sorry honey, but the last one just took off about a minute ago. There will be more tomorrow sweetie; have a good night”. She and the rest of the 3rd floor workers then got on the Lift and went home. All I could do was stand by the departure counter and sigh. I just wanted some part of the day to be good. Where would I sleep tonight? How will I buy breakfast in the morning? Where will my new home be? What will my new job be? Will I find a new job? My mind couldn’t give me answers to all of the questions, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I couldn’t breathe. I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I fell to the floor and started crying. I couldn’t help myself. As tear after tear hit the ground I felt worse and worse. I had to have been sobbing for at least ten minutes when, all of the sudden, every lamp on the 3rd floor went out. I stopped crying and rose up from the floor. “Hello?” I shouted. There was no one there. I felt cold, and the pain in my chest was gone. I couldn’t see anything but the stars; the room was pitch black. The Wellhead Lift was only a couple of paces from where I was standing. I just had to turn around and walk. As I turned, in what I thought was the direction of the Lift, I stopped. I heard something coming. I looked towards the landing strip and saw a bright light appear. I was blinded momentarily. As my eyes adjusted to the light I saw an airship. My heart skipped a beat. I was overjoyed, but puzzled. Why would an airship be coming in well after closing time? I looked closely at the airship; it was a deep blue color with gold trim and royal designs embedded throughout its mass. I met eyes with the conductor. He was a Highlander Hyur with a big smile on his face. The conductor, still looking right at me, said, “Are you getting on?” I felt like a child in a candy store. I opened the departure gate slowly and nodded. My mouth was paralyzed from the excitement. As I made my way to the stairs of the ship I felt a little guilty for not paying for the ride, but I dismissed those thoughts within a second. The conductor politely smiled at me while I boarded his vessel. I could not believe what was happening. This would be my first airship adventure! I didn’t even know where I was going, but I didn’t care. I was too excited to care. While the ship was taking off I gazed over the railing. Everything looked so beautiful from above. I was so absorbed in the moment that I didn’t even notice the passengers. The first to introduce himself was Gaia Gallerou Galaelee, and Wildwood Elezen man. He was a famous bard heralded for singing tales of his adventures to noble families of Eorzea. Everyone who was someone knew who this man was. The second passenger was Ms. Mary Monial Magrab. She was an old Hyur woman who wore the finest robes bought from none other than the Sunsilk Tapestries in Ul’dah. I recognized her instantly. She was a frequent visitor to the guild. The third and last person introduced to me was the captain himself. He was a very tall highlander man wearing a full set of buccaneer’s gear. He had a deep voice and spoke cheerfully. He wouldn’t tell me his name; he requested that all of his passengers address him as captain. After greeting everyone, and introducing myself, I resumed looking over the railing of the ship and towards the ground below. I saw animals, people, and camps. I felt like I could see the whole world from this airship. The ride was making me forget about Ul’dah and my troubles. My mind was almost entirely at peace. However, I wondered why the ship arrived in the manner it did, and why these people were on it. Something didn’t seem right, so I asked, “Where is this ship headed?” All three of my companions stared at me with a confused look. I became anxious when they didn’t immediately respond. Finally, Gaia said to me, “We are going to Thal.” I could feel my heart beating. “What do you mean?” I responded quickly. Ms Magrab then said, “We are dead, the captain is taking to us to Thal.” I couldn’t understand what was happening. Thal is the overseer of the underworld. If these people were dead then I must be dead too. No, that can’t be. I was just on the 3rd floor talking to Stangyth; now I’m dead? This can’t be happening. My heart was beating faster now. The captain turned around from navigating and said, “We are almost to Thal! Everyone get ready for departure!” I exclaimed, “Is this some kind of joke?!” Ms. Magrab responded, “No joke child. This is an airship of Thal. The captain is taking us too him.” I felt like crying, but no tears would appear from my eyes. This black mist started forming all around the ship. I thought my heart was about to come out of my chest. When did I die?! Why did I get on this airship?! Why couldn’t I have just stayed put and declined the captain’s offer?! Maybe if I can get off of this ship I will wake up. This has to be a horrible dream, it has to be. I grabbed onto the railing of the ship and started climbing. I am not dying today! Gaia grabbed me and I fought back. My little Dunesfolk body was no challenge for his Elezen arms. He grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. Gaia said, “It’s your time as well. Don’t leave Ms. Magrab and I, we are all dead and there is nothing any of us can do about it.” All I could do was squirm, but I couldn’t get out of his embrace. I kept saying, “No! Let me go! I can’t be dead!” The captain yelled over my screams, “Goodbye!” I flailed against Gaia one last time before everything disappeared. I was in darkness. I couldn’t feel anything, no emotions, no pain. Suddenly, a dark figure appeared before me. I knew who it was, and the figure knew who I was. We stood before each other gazing at one another. I could not fully describe Thal to you; I don’t remember what he looks like. He extended his hand toward me, as if inviting me to dance with him. I accepted his offer. There was nowhere for me to go unless it was with him. I could not feel his hand against mine. I felt nothing. I didn’t know where the captain, Ms. Magrab, or Gaia was; but I hoped they were ok. It wasn’t a moment after Thal caressed my hand that he let go of me. I looked at his shadowy face as he began to fade. I said to him, “Have I done something wrong?” I received no response. Shockingly, I started to feel all kinds of emotions rushing through my body. Something was wrong. I tried to grab onto Thal, but walked right through him. I screamed, “Don’t leave me!” Thal had almost completely disappeared when I heard Gaia’s voice, “We’ll meet again Garnet Sidus.” I looked up at Thal, but was puzzled. He was gone, and a new figure was standing in his place. This figure looked just like Thal, but was slightly different. He extended his hand toward me, and I accepted the offer just like before. As our hands touched I shut my eyes. This time I could feel the shadowy figure’s palm against mine. His hand was warm and comforting. I felt something soothing while my eyes were closed, and as I reopened them I saw someone standing over me. I was lying on the ground and they were using magic to cure me. I could hardly see anything because of all the light their healing spells were giving off. They saw me awaken and said, “Your soul almost slipped away from me, praise Nald!” I was back on the 3rd floor in Ul’dah! I then realized that it was Nald who replaced Thal in that dark place. Before I could get off of the ground, the healer came over and hugged me. It was Anthoinette from the Milvaneth Sacrarium, Nald’s Temple in Ul’dah. I hugged her tighter than Gaia held me on the airship. Anthoinette said, “You must have had a really bad panic attack. Nald sent me a vision about you. He told me it wasn’t your time.” I started to cry again, but this time it was tears of joy.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Rikitiki Tavatiki
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

Good evening.

Tonight I shall bring you a tale from the lost lore of the Scarlet Order. A tale of the fall... and rise... of a great evil.

The Scarlet Order itself, may or may not have truly existed. Yet, it is said, they were a secretive society of mages. Hidden away in their underground fortress, somewhere beneath the desolate sands of Thanalan, they practiced their art, ever in search of greater power.

So it was that within the library of the Order, one mage learned of the Tome of Harnessing Power. A tome filled with forbidden arcane knowledge that would bring kings to their knees, and fear to the hearts of all men.

He struck out from the fortress, setting the library aflame behind him. None must learn that which he sought, lest they find it first.

He traveled the length and breadth of the land, slaying all who stood between him and anything he believed could lead him to his goal. Whole cities would empty at the word of his coming, to return when the mage had found what meager clues he could find therein and moved on.

At last he learned of a black crystal tower, at the pinnacle of which was sealed the Tome.

An order of knights dwelt in the tower, each sworn to defend the Tome with his life.

The knights heard of the mage's impending arrival, and mustered to meet him in force at the base of the tower.

The mage cast a single mighty spell, lashing out at their minds. Fully half were slain on the spot. The minds of the others were twisted, so that they could not tell friend from foe.

The knights fell upon each other, until only one remained. The spell's effect faded, leaving only the mage, cackling gleefully.

As the mage raised his staff, the knight pleaded. "No," he said, "you must not enter! That which is within must not be unleashed upon the world!"

The mage paused for only a moment, before smiting the knight's head with his skull-capped staff. The knight fell as if poleaxed.

At last, he entered the tower. Nothing dared stand before him as he climbed the stairs to the pinnacle, and smote down the mighty iron doors of the sealed chamber. There, bathed in a single beam of light from above, was the tome. He grinned greedily as he strode forth and took hold of its leather cover, and opened it.

In an instant, he realized the horrors it contained.

It is said that his mind snapped in that moment, and that he seized the tome and threw himself from the top of the tower, perishing in the fall.

Even so, without its guardians, it was only a matter of time until another man found the tome, and the knowledge within swept the land.

For you see, the information in the Scarlet Order's library had been... somewhat twisted, over time. The tome was not the Tome of Harnessing Power. It was, in fact, a tome called "Harness Power". It described, in great detail, the process of creating subligaria.

So, one can only ask oneself... which was the greater evil? That which the mage sought.... or that which he found?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kahona Ashantil
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

Eternal Flames...

As the sky grew dim, Kahona and her friends gathered around the warm fire that had been lit to fend off darkness and cold. The crackling of the hearty fire filled the air around the otherwise silent camp. It had been a tiring day for all who sat around the fire. The beasts that roamed the sands of Thanalan had grown restless and temperamental of late. As night continued to fall, the group began to chat back and forth amongst each other, swapping stories and tall tales amongst themselves.

“Have you heard any good stories?” Kahona’s friend Talia asked as she settled in by the fire.

Kahona was about to say no but stopped herself as she gazed upon the flickering column of flame dancing between them, “Actually… yes.”

Several others who had tagged along on their monster hunt drew closer, Kahona generally didn’t say much during monster hunts and for her to have a story to tell… well… it was an event unto itself. Soon the small campfire was lined with eager listeners.

“There is a tale among the Amalj'aa that speaks of a being born of the primal fires of creation, a beast twice again the size of the largest among the races of Eorzea. The creature is said to have horns that are sharper than any blade that could be forged, and hide tougher than any shield. It wrecks of sulfur and ash, breathing fumes from its massive maw much like a volcano set to burst,” Kahona began in a soft voice, forcing those around her to lean close and listen hard.

“The Amalj’aa speak of this creature with reverence and hold ceremonies to venerate it. They name him Ifrit, and proclaim that he is the one who blessed the Amalj’aa with the spark of knowledge. The Amalj’aa love their creator god, and believe wholeheartedly that he will bring to them an era of prosperity…”

Kahona leaned closer to the fire, “Those of us who hold the Twelve dear know him by another name… We call him the Lord of the Inferno. His realm in the seven hells is hotter than the deserts of Thanalan, a place where nothing but the most foul of evil creatures could survive. And unlike some of the creatures from myth and legend… Ifrit now walks to lands among us.”

Several muffled gasps issued forth from the gathered listeners, the shock of such a revelation disturbing to almost all who gathered about the fire. Kahona stood and began to recount for them an encounter she herself had been host to.

“I know this to be true because I’ve seen it with my own two eyes. The creature called Ifrit has been pulled from the depths of the seven hells and is loose upon the barren wastes of Thanalan. It prowls the wastes in search of those who have done his favored children wrong. It hunts them down like animals, caring nothing for hunger, thirst, and sleep. It assaults them with fire and smoke and ash, bombards them with molten rock and searing air…”

Kahona paused for a moment to let the images sink in before continuing, “Ifrit does all this because that is what it was born to do. It is a being full of hatred for the children of the Twelve, for all the wrongs they have done to the beastmen of the desert lands. It rends flesh and breaks bone in pursuit of revenge, all under a crimson sky.”

Kahona’s eyes drifted upward toward the heavens, her eyes drifting to Dalamud as it hung ominously in the sky casting crimson rays in all the directions that it could. The eyes of those gathered around the fire began to drift upward as well, the gravity of the Miqo’te’s story starting to sink fully into their minds.

“It was a night just like this when I saw the monster for myself… a place lit by fire much like our own…”

Using a bit of black magic, Kahona bid the flames before her to expand, sending most of the people gathered around backward or to their feet. All Kahona could do is laugh before sure turned around and saw eyes looking over her…
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Minai Ruo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

We entered into a cave somewhat south and to the east of Camp Broken Water. Inside stood a purple aetheryte which we were unaware to which it led. We faced many hardships as a group, but always conquered them victoriously, and thought that this would be just another chapter in our story. We thought wrong. Once entered through the aetheryte, we were thrown into a hell-like abyss. Inside stood Ifrit, although unlike before, something felt... different. We prepared ourselves as best we could and charged at the massive beast. I provoked him towards me, and then ran to a point of charred earth near the ring of fire which surrounded us. As we attacked Ifrit, he ripped and ravaged with his menacing claws. He began to cast massive eruptions that tore the land beneath asunder, spawned plumes of molten fire, and when he dashed, surrounding him was a crimson cyclone that would burn your flesh from your body after which he would choose a person at random to chase down and attempt to spew fire that would sear you and any unlucky enough to stand beside you.

We were unaware that his two horns controlled the strength of his great abilities. Once realized, we launched all of our skills at his head until we finally brought them down. After whaling on Ifrit for some short time, he spawned from the ground four infernal nails at the center of the room. It felt much too soon for him to be calling upon these nails so early, but we had seen this before when we faced him long ago. While I held Ifrit in place, my brethren tore down the nails while dodging incoming eruptions. Soon after the nails were taken down, we did everything we could to ready ourselves for what came next. He jumped to the middle of the room and then called upon his most fearsome power that felt as though the flames of hell itself were put upon us, Hellfire. When the smoke cleared, I looked around to see if everyone had survived. We had made it through what I had thought would be the end of us.

As I readied my shield and sword he began to charge at me, the only difference was this time his entire body was engulfed in flame. Now he began to use his abilities twice as often, and when he dashed, instead of one, there stood three. The beast beat on us as if we were mere insects being squished beneath a Roegadyn's foot. Sometime after, he again called upon his infernal nails and regenerated his horns. This time however, instead of four, there stood 8 surrounding the outside of the pit. As we took down our last nail my fellow adventurers broke off his horns. Again we prepared for what we knew was coming. After the blast, I again readied my shield and blade as he charged me more furious then ever.

He now would use two of his abilities back to back against us. We thought it couldn't get any worse and that it would all be over soon if we could just hold on a little longer. Again he spawned his infernal nails, more then we could imagine. Our warrior took down one horn again then proceeded to help the rest of our mates in taking down his nails. One last time we prepared for what we knew was coming. When the smoke finally cleared, I awoke from my daze. I could barley hold on to my blade anymore. I mustered what strength I had left for one final stand against the beast.

Now he began to use his abilities three by three in which we needed to be more aware then ever. After a short time, we sensed Ifrit was getting weak. For in his desperation he threw everything he had at us to try and finish us before we did him. When we had finally taken him down, I looked around to see who was still standing, but it was all for naught. All whom entered the cave with me that day had perished under the might of the great Ifrit Extreme.
    (1)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast