Well, the game servers are now back online, and the development is almost returned to full strength, but the effects of the recent Tohoku earthquake and tsunami are far-reaching and profound. Much as those in the areas directly affected by the tragedy, we here in Tokyo must also remain vigilant. We’re continuing with our energy conservation efforts here at the office, and the while hoping that FFXIV might serve to bring smiles to some faces out there.
That being said, I’d like report on recent dev team activity. We were just about to begin testing on the now released patch 1.16a when the earthquake struck, and for that reason delayed its release. In addition, patch 1.17 was initially pushed back to mid-April, but after reexamination we’ve decided instead to divide the content and release it across two patches—1.17 and 1.17a.
Patch 1.17 contains an upcoming seasonal event slated for April. If we keep all of the other initially planned content, however, we wouldn’t be able to have the patch ready in time to coincide with Eas—errr, said seasonal event in the real world. So we’ve reduced the volume of patch 1.17 down to about 70% of its original size, and pushed the remaining 30% over to 1.17a. This way, all of the content can be released with minimal delay in between, and it will also allow us to get this holiday event released in time (don’t worry, there are no bells in this one).
Even so, this still won’t make up for all of the time lost from our original schedule. As a result, unfortunately, we’re going to have to forgo the event planned for a national Japanese holiday in early May. Since the April seasonal event kicks off later than intended, it will continue even after April 24th in the real world—whatever that day may be. I realize this is all less than ideal, but hope you understand and bear with us.
One last thing. A portion of the changes in patches 1.17 and 1.17a are preparations for the mid- and high-rank PvE content planned for later release. As soon as we hammer out the basics of the new dungeon and raid environments, we’ll be throwing out some screenshots and introducing them to you.
Best keep it short to give the translators more time on the quests, so that’s all for this letter. Talk to you again soon!