Player
    Character
    Affidon Kepler
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

My Biggest Fear.....

Like it or hate it one of the biggest things that made FFXIV (and FFXI) unique compared to other MMOs out there was the playability like an offline game that just happened to be online. The character controls (when used with controller) functioned exactly like the Final Fantasy offline counter parts.

It seems that in ARR they have adopted a more western "mmo" style control scheme where the mouse/keyboard is the predominant method of input. Instead of freely running around and locking into the target which then changes you to a battle movement configuration (down backpeddles, left and right strafe) the player now is permanently in the "S backpeddles, A and D side step, and W moves forward" regardless of whether in battle or not.

Personally I despise this popular mmo control scheme because I prefer to play with a controller. My only hope is that when switching the PC version to from keyboard/mouse to gamepad mode it will also switch the mechanics and UI a bit to reflect the current control style.
    (2)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post

Personally I despise this popular mmo control scheme because I prefer to play with a controller. My only hope is that when switching the PC version to from keyboard/mouse to gamepad mode it will also switch the mechanics and UI a bit to reflect the current control style.
    I dont think is remain in same
    Like addons in wow :P when change from pc to another pc you must fix the ui and other mechanics
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    They've already stated they have two teams designing separate UIs for PC and controllers. They have yet to to show the console/controller UI, but I'm sure its in the works.

Like it or hate it one of the biggest things that made FFXIV (and FFXI) unique compared to other MMOs out there was the playability like an offline game that just happened to be online.
    You've got it mixed up. XI was unique because it was designed with a controller in mind, you've got that right. But calling it playable like an offline game is completely off the mark, because there was little content you could do without other people. Heck, modern MMOs are more akin to "online single player games" (SWOTR, being the best example) than XI was or XIV is.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Ajax Sol
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    While I used to be fairly attached to my mouse and keyboard, as it is (without a doubt) far superior when it comes to speed and effeciency for inputing action, I now rarely, if ever, use it for controlling my character or executing actions. The reason for this is simply due to the controller being a far more relaxing experience overall.

But, I am not nearly worried as much as you. I remember reading a few posts detailing the new bindings for the keyboards, being able to use the triggers and d-pad as inputs (something I suggested 1 month after release). I think the idea is to allow MMO players to use a control scheme they're familiar/comfortable with - which is rather important when you call your game an MMO. I believe they've also learned the hard way that having options with regard to control schemes being limited is detrimental to their game. That no matter how good their game is, if they don't offer a way for players to control their character the way they want, they'll never truly enjoy the game.

I'm fine with them bringing in the new control scheme, that's a good thing. What would be bad is if it's the only - a situation similar to what we have now. All controls should be remappable to whatever we can think of, and just simply allow an option out of the game. like in a config, to reset to defaults if we screw it up.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Astraea Moonsong
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    My biggest fear is people making vague thread titles on the forums just as a means to get more readers.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Affidon Kepler
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rau View Post
    They've already stated they have two teams designing separate UIs for PC and controllers. They have yet to to show the console/controller UI, but I'm sure its in the works.

You've got it mixed up. XI was unique because it was designed with a controller in mind, you've got that right. But calling it playable like an offline game is completely off the mark, because there was little content you could do without other people. Heck, modern MMOs are more akin to "online single player games" (SWOTR, being the best example) than XI was or XIV is.
    I guess that's a good point. And maybe I didn't articulate as well as I could have. I meant that FFXI played like an offline game as far as controls are concerned. It seems that all MMOs adopt a genre-specific control scheme as described in my above post. I only hope that when switching the UI to and from key/mouse and controller it also adjusts the manner in which the character moves in response to said controls.
    (0)