Player
    Character
    Isidula Granviir
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferth View Post
    It's hard to argue from a realism standpoint in a video game... but really trying to hit someone in melee range with a projectile from a bow is incredibly difficult, so having a melee option really does make more sense. Hitting things with your bow would largely be more diversionary and defensive rather than a reliable offensive tactic.

Keeping in mind that when I say "Melee range" I mean close enough that your target could be physically hitting you too, not to mention pushing your bow to the side or out of the way .
    Of course shooting arrows at melee is unrealistic, but they're throwing out realistic animations in favor of better gameplay, so why not this too?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Agilo Sur
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 23
    Be cool if they added a fist-like weapon to the ARC/BRD offhand that was stylized based off bow. Kinda like brass knuckles.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Renen Angel
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Legolas can shoot his bow in close combat :-)
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rannie Lfey
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    Legolas can shoot his bow in close combat :-)

Legolas was an imaginary elf that can walk on snow and was the prince of Mirkwood and he never was close in combat he stayed far back if you read the books. Also he carried a couple of daggers for close combat (though I'd have to re read his description from Fellowship I could be a bit off on that but I do believe he did mention running out of arrows and having to resort to his daggers in the defense of Helms Deep)
    (3)
    I have a secret to tell. From my electrical well. It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells. So the room must listen to me Filibuster vigilantly. My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e. My story's infinite Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest- TMBG Birdhouse in your Soul
    A huge THANK YOU!!!! For FINALLY selling the Meteor Survivor Polo on the store. AND a huge thanks to my friend who bought it for me while he was at Fan Fest!!! YES I finally have my POLO!!!

Player
    Character
    Griss Stilgar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Majidah View Post
    wha? dude, bows are fragile and expensive. I'm not getting a scratch on my garuda's spine.
    Given the amount of random spikes and armor plating that is tacked on to most bows. I think it would hurt like all get out to get wacked up side the head with one.
    (0)
    An Aware, Informed, and Critical community is vital for the success of a game.
    ~ John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Reika View Post
    They should keep shooting with arrows, as punching does less damage than arrows. making them punch up close would make it hard to do anything solo as an archer, as it is difficult to keep your distance. Along with that, the 8 yalm range requirement for combos on archer skills also makes it difficult to solo with them :/ unless youre fighting a ranged enemy.
    Do you realize how ineffective a bow is at close range? If you're so close that you can punch something, when shooting, the arrow contacts the target before it has left the frame of the bow. An arrow is not at its maximum velocity until it has left the vertical axis on which the bowstring sits, unlike a gun where the projectile is at full speed well before it leaves the barrel.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 10-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    Nothing has stated that we will ever be hitting the enemy with our books.

http://www.rantgaming.com/2012/09/08...on-highlights/

Matsui: “As I’m sure you can see from the picture, the arcanist’s weapon is a book….Indeed, they will be able to strike with their book.” The books will be able to be crafted, but at the time, Matsui and Yoshida preferred to keep which crafting skill it would take to weave a book together a secret.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Kouji Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 58
    well Hawkeye is a REAL acher and melees with his bow. Just sayin
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    or stab with an arrow
    (0)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Cynthis Ravenbrook
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocko View Post
    I would think a stab attack with an arrow would make far more sense then smacking them with a fragile bow
    This. Stabbing an arrow into someones neck seems like an effective close range attack.
    (0)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast