Player
    Character
    Palidor Carbuncle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I really don't give a rats behind about your disclaimer, it's still legitimate discussion. You have no right to tell other people what they can and can't discuss. Since my original post was not a reply to yours, I really don't care whether you find it unwelcome or not, since I wasn't directing it toward you.
    And anyone who clicked on this link to read about the achievements, and proceeded to comment on the thread, should be people that actually care about the achievements going away, not some random passerby that feels he/she needs to tell everyone how stupid a particular game mechanics is.

If someone like yourself really enjoyed sleeping with an anime chick body pillow every night, I wouldn't comment on it. I may think the idea is very very creepy, but I have a little more tact than to be like "Yo, dude, that's not cool. You shouldn't be like that, because my opinion is better than yours."

So you should not come in here and push your opinion on everyone else that a particular game mechanic, such as this, is wrong. The disclaimer was for idiots like you. Now please let other people discuss the issue in peace.

With that being said, the particular comment by the dev seems to stat that the achievements are, in fact, going away. From what I've noticed, large numbers of people are now turning to fishing to get these before they are gone, including myself. This post was intended to try and gain awareness of the issue, as well as the potential response from a dev. Fortunately, it seems that both goals have been met, regardless of the participation of the obvious trolls.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Man.... was hoping I wouldn't get a militia gig, but got one....
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cynthis Ravenbrook
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I'm also rather laughing about the people who give a care about these achievements in the first place. Nobody cares that you spearfished 10,000 things from <insert grade here> fishing points. NOBODY.
    I may not care whether somebody has beaten Garuda 500 times, has full darklight and all 7 relic weapons but I would never point that out...Damn, now look what you made me do!

Personally, I work towards goals in the game for my own personal gratification and not to show off to others. I also understand that people play the game for different reasons with different goals and I respect that unlike some people obviously...
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Palidor Carbuncle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthis View Post
    I may not care whether somebody has beaten Garuda 500 times, has full darklight and all 7 relic weapons but I would never point that out...Damn, now look what you made me do!

Personally, I work towards goals in the game for my own personal gratification and not to show off to others. I also understand that people play the game for different reasons with different goals and I respect that unlike some people obviously...
    I've noticed it's very hard talking with these kinds of people. They simply don't understand that MMO's, by nature, attract a large variety of players. Many of these players play for different reasons, or even a mixture of reasons.

The following is an article detailing the basic four types of gamers, which can be combined into different mixtures; sometimes all four. However, people usually gravitate towards one that they identify with most.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

I apologize if it's a little out of date; but the fundamental principles still apply.

Achiever - Someone who likes to achieve goals in the game, kill every monster, get every item, get all achievements. Some do it for the recognition of others, and some just love the fact that they have done everything the game has to offer. (Something that Alhanelem fails to understand)

Explorer - Someone who prefers to look for new areas in the game, check every nook and cranny. These are the people that went and explored all of Eorzea, regardless of the super high level monsters. These are also the people that found some of the unused areas, which opened up many topics of speculation as to their future use.

Socializer - Someone who prefers talking with other in linkshell chat, tagging along for an event just for the fact that they can "hang out" and talk with others. Someone who uses emotes a lot to show their emotions in game.

Killer - These are the people that love killing monsters all the time. They love a good fight, and look forward to each new challenge so they can master their kill strategies and defeat that monster over and over. They also are anxiously awaiting for PvP to be available in 2.0 so that they can kill other players, whether for bragging rights or for the sheer joy of doing so.

I hope this sheds some light on different "types" of gamers, and the potential people we may be playing with at any given time. Many people will refuse to understand it, but those that do will usually have a richer play experience because they will be able to identify why someone may choose what they do.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nuinn Nomi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 64
    Sooooo they inform us they're removing spearfishing but don't bother to tell us about what we're really concerned about here? It's not the spearfishing itself as a gameplay mechanic, it's the darn achievements tied to it that some of us ocd people want to know.

Also, I do not care that the JP forums get info first or not. Way to treat the rest of us like second class citizens. If no one had dug there or bothered to translate the posts what would happen - they'd go "Oh yeah, and spearfishing will be gone" on October the 31st??? Pfff. . . .
    (5)
    Proud member of the Abyss FC — Excalibur

If you need a place to chat about all sorts of ridiculous, dorky and nonsensical topics, feel free to join the Absolutely Fabulous LS
    Send a /tell and bring your happy pills~!

Player
    (waiting to claim squatter rights on minatos house) (Update:HAHAHAHA I actually did! ♥Minato XD)
    Character
    Kyri Sagitta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 80
    I love to fish (outside of schools) and i love spearfishing, harvesting and quarrying. please dont change a good thing less schools, more grades and more varieties of fish please!

in case you missed it i hate schools of fish, please don't make more of those
    (2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueodAjWZ0A4
    Ah, but will facing north-by-northeast at 2:45 a.m. while the moon is a waning crescent result in a 27% increase in your chances to synthesize HQ mythril ingots!? That is real the question! ~Fernehalwes~

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    And anyone who clicked on this link to read about the achievements, and proceeded to comment on the thread, should be people that actually care about the achievements going away, not some random passerby that feels he/she needs to tell everyone how stupid a particular game mechanics is.
    You know, lots of people try to read everything they can on the forums. They don't just click on the links that they innately care with all their heart about. The fact that i wouldn't call myself an achievement chaser does not disqualify me from participating in discussion on this forum. I in fact didn't come here to tell people how stupid a game mechanic is. However, I did notice how ridiculous it is how upset people are getting about this very minor, non-gameplay affecting issue (well removing spearfishing isn't a non-gameplay issue but the rest of the thread is), especially when they don't have all the facts yet. I feel bad for the reps getting railed on because they were too slow to translate the news or because the list of achievements to become unobtainable wasn't updated yet. Give them a god danged chance to get it right instead of raging.

I even explained myself that I try to collect achievements too- I don't have a disinterest in this, however, I'm also not going to get my blood to a boil if they remove some achievements from the game.

I love to fish (outside of schools) and i love spearfishing, harvesting and quarrying. please dont change a good thing less schools, more grades and more varieties of fish please!
    Can I ask why you "love" spearfishing? Unlike fishing, it has no interactivity whatsoever. Just find a glowy spot and stab at it a few times. They're removing it so they can come up with something better as they improve the fishing system as a whole. Right now, the gathering minigames are essentially the same for all three classes. I'm thinking they want each class to be a bit more unique so you don't feel like you're doing the same thing on all three. Give them a chance to make the class more fun- you'll love it even more than you do now.

Also, I do not care that the JP forums get info first or not. Way to treat the rest of us like second class citizens.
    Give me a BREAK. They aren't treating us like "second class citizens." Camate and the other reps work Pacific time shifts. If something is announced outside of their work schedule, them being the ones that translate this stuff, can't do it until the next day. Translation isn't an instant process if you want to get it done right.

That's what I do, but the whole fact that I don't care if others see it or not makes it all the less important that an achievement might be removed. To me, that's just one less thing i have achieve, considering there's a bazillion other achievements I still don't have yet.

Also, I would argue that most of us didn't really play the game with the specific goal of getting achievements, especially considering that achievements weren't in the game from the beginning. I do respect the fact that people play this game with different goals in mind- I still feel that people are blowing this up to be way more than it is.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 10-01-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Greetings!

Apologies that information on spearfishing achievements was not included previously, as many of you are curious as to what will happen. Since spearfishing is being removed from the game when A Realm Reborn rolls around, it will also no longer be possible to complete spearfishing achievements. We will add this to the list when we release the topics announcement we are currently working on, outlining various aspects of change.
    (17)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Palidor Carbuncle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Greetings!

Apologies that information on spearfishing achievements was not included previously, as many of you are curious as to what will happen. Since spearfishing is being removed from the game when A Realm Reborn rolls around, it will also no longer be possible to complete spearfishing achievements. We will add this to the list when we release the topics announcement we are currently working on, outlining various aspects of change.
    *Wah wah wahhhhhhh* Alhanelem. I called this. Thank you for the update Camate! It's a good thing I spent all weekend spearfishing and dodging GF aggro ;-)
    (0)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    What are you still going on about?

I called it too. People just need to keep their pants on and be patient. The community reps haven't forsaken us, like a few people here seem to have thought.

You can now cease with the personal attacks and mocking. Giving my opinion on an issue is not trolling.
    (2)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast