Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60

DPS Testing

I thought it would be interesting to see how much the DPS value actually changes damage output.

I tested with weapons that have the same Delay (Damage/Delay ='s DPS)

The test consisted of having STR/INT below where it would cap on either weapon.
    Perform Auto Attack with a Parser until DEV was ~9% swap fists - repeat.
    For WS's using Pummel only ~9% DEV swap fists - repeat.

attack 72 91 81.5 11.656% - 38.00 DPS Lomisan Knuckles
    attack 57 72 64.5 11.628% - 28.66 DPS Cobalt Knuckles
    attack 64 80 72.0 11.111% - 32.33 DPS Pieste Ceste
    The calculated difference is:
    ~0.85%: 1 Damage Stat (used for AA)
    ~2.5%: 1 DPS (used for WS)

***This does not include the addition of higher stat caps from higher DPS. This is only higher DPS with the exact same stats.

***Also tested this for Gladiator and Lancer weapons. Results aren't posted
    (2)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 10-02-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Eh, that kind of testing is hard to find accurate tbh, not claiming your assertion is wrong but the damage extension varies by such a wide degree per weapon it's hard to get the accurate raw data that you're looking for without testing multiple varying DPS values. And judging from the weapons listing off mogbox it'll be difficult to find that variance without hitting the stat caps on some weapons.
    (1)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoheir View Post
    Eh, that kind of testing is hard to find accurate tbh, not claiming your assertion is wrong but the damage extension varies by such a wide degree per weapon it's hard to get the accurate raw data that you're looking for without testing multiple varying DPS values. And judging from the weapons listing off mogbox it'll be difficult to find that variance without hitting the stat caps on some weapons.
    Thanks Sword Coheir, this does bring to light some more testing to do. There hasn't been anything yet to say that Damage/Delay to DPS values would not scale in a linear fashion. I guess I could pick another Monk weapon, most likely with higher DPS - Probably Lomisan Knuckles (same 3 second delay). I should be able estimate the damage from the 2% scale and if it's within range then it works.

The other difference will be in the delay. Going from a High Damage Weapon with a long delay to a Low Damage weapon with a short delay will have a different AA to damage %, but given the same timeframe should still follow the same linear damage difference.

So I finished with that testing. It only represents so far, the % gain for AA. Which showed so far on my testing to be the same for WS's

attack 72 91 81.5 11.656% - 38.00 DPS Lomisan Knuckles
    attack 57 72 64.5 11.628% - 28.66 DPS Cobalt Knuckles
    So I would have estimated that the Lomisan Knuckles would do around 76 Damage on average 18.7% more than Cobalt @ 9.34 higher DPS.

I'll re-do my testing on the Peiste Cesti to see if I can get it right at the 11.6% deviation as well. But so far it seems that 1DPS is ~2.5% increase in damage to AA and WS.

attack 64 80 72.0 11.111% - 32.33 DPS Pieste Ceste - New Testing 11.1% Deviation is pretty close
    Difference between Lomisan Knuckles and Pieste Ceste 14%, DPS Difference 5.67. (2.5% * 5.67 = 14.1%)

Going by the difference in Damage VS. the difference between Damage Stat (DS)

1 DS ~ 0.85% for AA
    1 DPS ~2.5% for WS

Then you could roughly compare weapons
    Cobalt Claws 117 3.2 36.56 Attack Power : +8

Sphairai 143 3.4 42.06 Attack Power : +60, Refresh : +5, MP : +70

Difference - 26 DS * 5.5 DPS * 52 AP

So AA 22% - WS 13.75% - AP 8.5% to both AA and WS
    for a total of 30% greater AA Damge - 22.25% Greater WS Damage - Before capping stats

After Capping the stats - It seems kind of high, but... 50% Greater AA - 42% Greater WS Damage

***Disclaimer -- This is mainly theory based on stat testing. Use at your own risk
    ^ Anyone with a Sphairai want to test this? -Cobalt Claws at or below stat caps VS Sphairai, using the same gear.

For fun I thought I'd try comparing some Bows (I know this isn't the Archer/Bard Section)

Garuda's Spine 71DS - 3.1 Delay - 40.97 DPS
    Flame Lieutenant's Bow 109DS - 4.1- Delay - 40.24 DPS - 30 Attack
    DS Difference of 38 or 32% + Attack 30 (~5%) Total 37%

90 Second Comparison
    Garuda 29 attacks + 10 For Barrage - 39Total
    Flame LT 22 + 10 for Barrage - 32 Total

Flame LT 82% @ 37% more damage so 112% (12% More than Garuda)

So the Flame LT Bow should do ~12% more AA + Barrage Damage than Garuda at the same Stats (DEX/PIE) within a 90 second period
    Not that it will make a huge difference because WS>AA damage. - so maybe 5% Overall
    Since Garuda should do ~4% more damage overall with WS's it's pretty even
    (3)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 10-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Is Sphairai worth it over Garuda's Talons?

Garuda's Talons 115 2.8 41.07 Accuracy : +25, Crit Attack Power : +40, Wind Resistance : +15, Adds Wind Damage

Sphairai 143 3.4 42.06 Increases Shoulder Tackle damage , Evasion : +30, Attack Power : +60, Refresh : +5, MP : +70

Sphairai VS Garuda's Talons

2.5% AA and WS Damage over Garuda + 60 Attack Power ~6% more damage

Total ~8.5% Increased Damage over Garuda's Talons at the same stats
    ~ 8.75% Increase in AA and 10.5% Increase in WS's at Sphairai Stat Caps

Monk doesn't need a ton of accuracy, but the other factor will be if the loss of 25 Acc can be made up, without losing any other stats, as it will reduce the usefulness of Sphairai over Garuda's Talons.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    My gear is as follows for MNK and it performed quite well on Rivenroad (Hard) and we won.

Sphairai
    Raptorskin Pot Helm +1 (INT+42)
    Flame Sergeant's Tabard
    Flame Sergeant's Sash
    Felt Trousers (STR+24/VIT+26)
    Felt Bracers (STR+50)
    Ul'dahn Officers Boots
    Explorer's Earring/White Ravens
    Explorer's Choker
    Flame Sergeant's Bracelets
    Zircon Ring +1
    Rubellite Ring +1

Food: Tuna Miq'abob
    Sanction active.

STR 353
    INT 324

The boots provide 5 acc and have a very nice sanction bonus (and identical to what talons offer). I have explorer's mocassins when sanction is down. If I had corselet/caligae I'd use both in a heartbeat though. So far I have not had any major accuracy issues as I find switching food to tuna (from raptor), puts me down 1 acc but up 19 attack. The extra accuracy is there as needed on boots and helm. I purposely melded that helm for the acc+6 it offered. There are ways to work around stuff like relics w/o accuracy but it does take effort. Also it is totally worth it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyJorildyn View Post
    My gear is as follows for MNK and it performed quite well on Rivenroad (Hard) and we won.
    That's awesome.
    Do you happend to have Garuda's Talons? If you do, would you mind doing an AA parser against a lvl 50+ Mob?
    It would have to be without your Raptorskin Pot Helm because the INT will throw off the results.
    Just to see if my theorized calculations are close to the difference in weapons.

Thanks in advanced - I just need to add that the difference in AA damage should be ~30%. But total damage (i.e. over 60 seconds) should only be 8.5% because of the difference in delay. It'd be cool to see if it does actually match up.
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 10-04-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Um, yeah I could try that, but won't have time until the weekend.
    (0)
    Last edited by GreyJorildyn; 10-04-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Draw swords and shatter shields with us!
    Apply to Neutral Impact today!

http://www.impact-gaming.us

Player

http://xivdb.com/?GearSet/Dps-Monk/214

Current Monk Setup.

That gets me close to the caps and over 800 atk w/food and fof
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Almalexia Indoril
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Galka must have a huge racial difference from cat. If I wear the same thing (same materia, too) I am 20 STR and 20 INT short of Sphairai cap. Food included. I can still hit 800ATK though.

A shame, because I would really like to use eyepatch again.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Chad Thunderkoch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    No, that guy just doesn't have a clue what stat caps are or what the word "close" means.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast