Player
    Character
    Tinks Fenrir
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

Conjurer over White mage?

Are there situations where CNJ might be beneficial over WHM?

Alright so, before you all flame me let me start off by saying that I think 99% of the time WHM is going to be the better choice. (Losing Regen, Benediction, Esuna, AF etc just isn't worthwhile in most situations.)

That being said, I'm trying to brainstorm situations in which having a CNJ might actually be a worthwhile option, and beyond that, how you might gear it. The idea is to use the abilities you wouldn't otherwise have access to and pair them in an effective way as a healer.

The primary assumption I'm making with CNJ being a good option situationally is that you have at least one WHM to cover the Regen and possible benediction in lieu of the other healer being CNJ and covering whatever situationally useful thing they can do in addition to healing and stoneskin and such.

Anyone have a situation other than solo play where you think CNJ might be a good choice over WHM? For instance, I think having Resonance in Ifrit could come in handy for a long range raise or cure. Chameleon might be useful in some situations also. Moogle for instance? I'm not sure if it would be worth losing the 2nd regener though.

Thoughts and ideas?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Robert Redensa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    As someone who did Ifrit before jobs, I miss my Resonance + Raise. Most people didn't bother equipping the combo.

CNJ does gain the basic THM nukes over WHM, so in situations where something is weak to lightning or fire CNJ would be a better DD. Honestly WHM cures so well that I nuke half the time on most content already. Unfortunately there are very few mobs where it's worth picking up Thunder and Fire. In my experience, either Aero or Stone will hit for full damage on just about everything.
    (0)
    Last edited by REDace0; 09-25-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Character
    Kerwin Nindon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    At the current moment there isn't a good enough reason to be a CNJ over WHM. But with Arcanist coming out, seeing a Conjurer have their abilities and THM's abilities too, might make it more versitile in the future.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Only time I can see it is in a situation where they want damage over most everything, but want at least SOME healing. A conjurer could toss out a curaga every so often, make use of some THM actions, and I believe Vanya set is good for nuking?

That said, it's still a flimsy response at best. I find in those kinds of situations I generally do well just staying on WHM and wearing the GC mage-oriented gear.
    (1)
    Last edited by Urthdigger; 09-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Let's look at trait bonuses...

Conjurer gets:
    - Enhanced stoneskin
    - Increased magic defence from protect
    - Faster recast on Sacred Prism
    - Weakness-free raise

Thaumaturge gets:
    - Faster recast on Necrogenesis
    - Faster recast on Dark Seal
    - Damage reduction effect on Sanguine Rire
    - Better crit rate bonus from excruciate

Both have fair bonuses. What you want is a matter of preference.

White mage misses out on the following notable skills:
    - Chameleon, although this is off-set to some extent by having Shroud of Saints (temporary emnity reduction only).
    - Decoy and sanguine rite, which is helpful in terms of survival, though these presume you are taking hate/damage. The Rite can be handy in 2-hr moves.
    - Necrogenesis, which assumes I am nuking, but I have more effective ways of recovering HP (regen myself).
    - Dark Seal and the other elemental spells, which also assume I am nuking.
    - Resonance, which is handy in some situations, such as a distance-raise (can never combo with holy ).

As much as I hate to say it, any instance where I would want the extra flexibility of Conjurer, it's because I'm in a nuking or hate-attracting capacity. And if that is the case, I feel like I would do it as a Thaumaturge better.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Agilo Sur
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 23
    Let's just be honest. The armoury system is a largely failed experiment. In theory it seems great. Much like the Market Wards. However, the implementation is horrible. People still defending class vs. jobs are delusional. On many levels, jobs are just superior. My hope is they redo all the skills, again, and rebuild classes so they support two jobs each and each class ends up having a distinct advantage/disadvantage over those two jobs...

Sorry to rant.
    (1)